Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Alleyoop
Enthusiast
Alleyoop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 950
Extra large font on a Kobo book

I have downloaded an Epub Kobo book and transferred it to my 950. No matter how much I try to reduce the font size, it remains XTRA LARGE. What can I do about this?
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
One quick and easy thing to try is to use Calibre and - convert the epub to LRF, then delete the original epub (keep a copy!). Reconvert the LRF back to epub... this may help.

Otherwise, use Sigil - I've changed a couple of Amazon ebooks which were a bit too small in epub on my 350 (and then too big in the next font step up due to the absurd Sony font size steps).
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Alleyoop
Enthusiast

Thank you for the tip. Calibre wouldn't convert it due to DRM. I'll try Sigil.

Later: Ha, Sigil won't open it either.

Last edited by Alleyoop; 12-23-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
Thank you for the tip. Calibre wouldn't convert it due to DRM. I'll try Sigil.

Later: Ha, Sigil won't open it either.
Neither calibre nor Sigil can help you make changes to a DRMd file - that's one of the reasons by vendors defile ebooks with DRM in the first place.

Apprentice Alf is your friend.

Once he has helped you remove the DRM open it with calibre, click on tweak epub, explode the epub, set the font-size to whatever suits you, remake the epub, and you're done.

I also had a Kobo ebook with ridiculously large font size, and that's what I did to fix it.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Alleyoop
Enthusiast

Great, thanks. I've removed DRM, how do I locate the file that has the font information? There's a META-INF folder and an OEBPS folder. I see a Styles folder that has font family and size, but there are multiple entries. I expect there is a file somewhere with just one entry required?
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The file causing the problem is apparently a CSS that is not listed in the manifest.
http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/hi...een-kobo-ised/
Since you've removed DRM, try converting it to PRC/Mobi and back to epub. That might scrub out the Kobo-ization.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Load the ePub into Sigil and look at the CSS. It's most likely in there. Do not convert it to anything else and then back. Not even ePub > ePub. Sigil is your friend.

If you'd like, post the CSS and I can have a look at it and see where the problem might be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
bibliobean
bibliobean began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Kindle 3
I just spent the best part of a day trying to fix this XLARGE font issue with a Kobo epub I purchased yesterday (my first ebook purchase from them), it was a Random House ebook.

I researched the Internet and mucked about trying to get the fonts to work. At one point only the first 12 pages of the book would load correctly onto my Reader. Later I used Calibre to 'tweak' the epub and 'explode' it and I deleted the css file in the OEBPS folder. Then I 'rebuilt' it and reconverted it (epub output) and reloaded it on my Sony Reader. It seems to have worked and I can now adjust the font size and style...finally!

The ebook I purchased was labelled as an Adobe DRM epub but I'm sure it was a Kobo epub (kepub?) due to the Kobo css files.

Is it worth complaining to Kobo or just never buy from them again?!
bibliobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You deleted the CSS? Bad move. You lose the formatting. If the problem was in the CSS, it would have been rather easy to fix it.

Yes, report the problem to Kobo. It's not their fault. The publisher sent it to them as is.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
Alleyoop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not convert it to anything else and then back. Not even ePub > ePub. Sigil is your friend.

If you'd like, post the CSS and I can have a look at it and see where the problem might be.
Thanks for the offer. Before reading this I did simply convert it to mobi and back to epub and the font size is normal now. I figured that disabling drm was going to at least offer me options to eventually get it done.

Wiser now, thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Still post the CSS. You really don't want that copy that you converted to mobi and back t ePub. It's not going to be very nice code under the hood should you find anything else that might need fixing. Once you've posted the CSS and if the problem is there, you can replace the CSS and the font problem will be gone.

I did say that converting ePub > anything > ePub was a bad idea and I still stand behind that.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
bibliobean

Quote:
You deleted the CSS? Bad move. You lose the formatting. If the problem was in the CSS, it would have been rather easy to fix it.

Yes, report the problem to Kobo. It's not their fault. The publisher sent it to them as is.
Deleting the Kobo CSS and rebuilding it in Calibre seemed the only option. I now have text which is justified and with a gap before each paragraph which is just how I like it
Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliobean View Post
Deleting the Kobo CSS and rebuilding it in Calibre seemed the only option. I now have text which is justified and with a gap before each paragraph which is just how I like it
But by deleting the CSS, you lose any formatting like bold, italics, centering, chapter heading formatting, and maybe more. The solution is to fix the CSS, not delete it. In some books, italics can be very important (for example).

Attach the original CSS and I can look at it and try to fix the font issue.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
bibliobean

Formatting (bold, italics, etc.) seems to have been retained perfectly. Maybe I only deleted Kobo.css and not Style.css, I can't remember...
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Alleyoop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Still post the CSS.
I'm sorry, you'll have to explain how to locate the CSS file, I don't know anything about it. I've loaded the book into Sigil, but I don't know how to go about viewing the CSS.