Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Which e-reader would you buy to replace your EZreader?

Ok, I must admit I haven't been here a while, but I read this forum all the time.

I bought the EZReader PocketPro about a year ago, as a gift for my mother. I spent just enough time with it to set it up for her, and really enjoyed its features. Mostly the variety of formats it supports.

Now that I want to buy one for me, I can't for reasons I still haven't figure out yet (haven't read that far back in the posts). And I don't really know I want to know.

Having said this, I would like to know from all more experience users such as yourselves, Which reader would you buy to replace the EZReader? Please take into consideration all the formats the PP supports, since I have books in many formats (mostly FB2 and mobi).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chikwako
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Please add what country you live in. This is an important bit of information needed to best answer your question. For example, the Austrailian badge for Hanlin Jinke devices, Eco Reader, still sells the V5 and V6+ devices. Some of this is being covered in the "Rest in Peace" thread that Dr. Drib started a few days ago and at only 3 pages it is not too bad to read through from the beginning. Also try the "What do I buy" sub-forum for more ideas.

Good luck!
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Chikwako, I suggest that if you want a permanent battery like the Pocket Pro has, that you consider the Ectaco jetBook and the Aluratek Libre, both of which use the same Dr. Yi hardware with different firmwares.

If you would prefer to use (rechargeable) AA batteries, look into the jetBook Lite which I have.

I also have an Astak EZReader. In my opinion, the reflective TFT screen of these three is superior to that of the EZReader.

All three offer a wide choice of formats, as you request.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want a lot of DRM-free file formats, then PocketBook is a viable alternative to Hanlin. It has FBReader for multiple format support. However, all E Ink PocketBook's are using the old Vizplex screen.

I am still using my EZReader, but if I was buying today it would have to be a Pearl screen and most likely I would get a Kindle 3. The K3 is inexpensive, has the new Pearl screen, and has collections (as an alternative to folders). It only natively supports MOBI/AZW, so you would have to use Calibre to convert all your other ebooks (and strip DRM from ePubs). Alternatively, you can install FBReader (FBreader & fbKindle).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Once I got my Kindle 3 my Pocket Pro is collecting dust. I haven't turned it on since November. I could never go back to a non pearl screen. Kindle 3+Calibre=Win!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Chikwako is asking for a reader that reads different formats, so the Kindle 3 is out, even though the screen - as pointed out - is great.

So, getting to the OP's concern and specifically going to the question, I can wholeheartedly endorse the PocketBook 360. It's an incredible Reader. I like it better than Astak, and the PocketBook is more intuitive and more modern-looking and more elegant in the way it does things. It's also as versatile a file-reader as the PP and does it better and in a more seamless fashion. Now, keep in mind, these are my opinions, and someone else's opinions can certainly differ from mine.

The Astak was great in its time and it's still fun to kind of play around with; but the fact is, I don't use it due to my great pleasure of owning and reading from the PocketBook 360.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-19-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Chikwako is asking for a reader that reads different formats, so the Kindle 3 is out, even though the screen - as pointed out - is great.
Well I wouldn't write the K3 off. Given the OP would have the variety of file formats all drm-free, Calibre or email via Amazon would sort that issue out.

But if the OP wants a 5"....hmmm that is a tough one. Great reviews on the PB360, but the Sony 5" has a pearl screen. God knows which one I'll get when I need to replace the PP.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well I wouldn't write the K3 off. Given the OP would have the variety of file formats all drm-free, Calibre or email via Amazon would sort that issue out.

But if the OP wants a 5"....hmmm that is a tough one. Great reviews on the PB360, but the Sony 5" has a pearl screen. God knows which one I'll get when I need to replace the PP.

I don't - and won't - write off the Kindle. I own a Kindle 3 and 2, and use the Kindle 3 daily.

However, the Kindle cannot read multiple file formats. One must use calibre first. Calibre translates the file formats into what a Kindle can read, but - to reiterate - a Kindle cannot read a variety of file formats, which is what the OP was asking about.

To summarize: A kindle and calibre software will allow file translations so that a Kindle can read it's native format.

A PocketPro or a PocketBook 360 can already read a whole host of file formats without having to use calibre.

On another note: I would imagine (and hope) that the Pearl screens will be trickling down into the smaller companies soon. I wouldn't, however, hold my breath for anything from Astak. There are no signs from the heavens that I can see to dispel my personal belief in this thinking.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-19-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The new Sony products also have the new brighter screen. And there is now a third party software package that can be loaded on it for more format support. Personally I have been quite satisfied with Astak's book readers although I must admit I prefer the 6" plus model.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
like i mentioned before, i am very happy with my Sony 350. There is no book i havent been able to load on it, even if i might need to use calibre first.
The screen is exceptional, the hardware in general is superior to PP (IMHO).
If i was more concerned about file formats and firmware fliexibility etc, i would have gone with PB 360.
One think i dont like about Kindle is that huge keyboard. And the fact it doesnt come in 5" size!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
OK, many thanks to all of you for your kind replies. I will take some of your answers for comments.

Quote:
SaraD
Please add what country you live in. This is an important bit of information needed to best answer your question.
I travel from Venezuela to the U.S. often, so I wouldn't have problems getting it in the States. But having read some of the posts in the EZReader treads, I'm not totally sure that I want to pursue this device any longer.

Quote:
GA Russell
...that you consider the Ectaco jetBook and the Aluratek Libre, both of which use the same Dr. Yi hardware with different firmwares.
Thanks for your input! I will take a look at your suggestions as well.

Quote:
WallCraft
...but if I was buying today it would have to be a Pearl screen...
Any non-Kindle, non-Nook, non-Sony multi-format readers that you would recommend with Pearl screen?

Quote:
Dr. Drib
The Astak was great in its time and it's still fun to kind of play around with; but the fact is, I don't use it.
Thanks for your input as well. I have a close friend who was in Lima during Christmas. Too bad it didn't occur to me to contact you about your EZReader

Quote:
Dr. Drib
the Kindle cannot read multiple file formats. One must use calibre first. Calibre translates the file formats into what a Kindle can read, but - to reiterate - a Kindle cannot read a variety of file formats, which is what the OP was asking about.
Right on the nail Dr. Drib. I've tried Calibre, and I think is a great software, however I don't have the time or the patience to translate the books to a specific format. That is precisely the reason why I want a multi-format device, so I can just load and READ!

Thank you, I will take your comments into consideration, the thing is the TIME we have to spend researching. And also hoping to get a good price while you're looking. I have so many books I can't wait to start reading them.

BTW, does the Ipad read all the format we're talking about here? Just asking.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
Any non-Kindle, non-Nook, non-Sony multi-format readers that you would recommend with Pearl screen?
Chikwako, presently only the Kindle and the Sony(s) have the pearl screen.

Many expect that in the upcoming months others will have it as well.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
I don't know what I will replace my PP with but I know it won't be a sony. I have spent the last week playing with and setting up a PRS-600 for my daughter and while I kind of like the hardware I can't stand the software. One of the greatest things I liked about the PP was I could just drag and drop my folders from the desktop to the SD card and be reading in seconds.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I don't know what I will replace my PP with but I know it won't be a sony. I have spent the last week playing with and setting up a PRS-600 for my daughter and while I kind of like the hardware I can't stand the software. One of the greatest things I liked about the PP was I could just drag and drop my folders from the desktop to the SD card and be reading in seconds.

Then you may possibly love the PocketBook 360.

Don
Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm not crazy about a 5" screen ... so I'd opt for the Pocketbook Pro 902 which is $199 and available direct from PB or through the Amazon e-store (!) including to the nether-regions (like Canada).

I may also be the only advocate for dual devices: I have both a Kindle 3 and a Kobo and each does its own thing very well, giving me native non-DRM access to mobi and epub and DRM of each as well. This gives me the flexibility to shop for commercial titles and stick to the lowest price; borrow library books; and still have Calibre in the background for "other" choices.

Schlepping two devices on holiday is virtually the same as carrying one; and then the other half always has a choice, too.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote