Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Is My Kobo Battery Life Normal?

I have had my Kobo for only a few weeks. Currently I am reading one of the Oz books by L Frank Baum (can't recall the title). I have been reading it since Sunday and daily on my lunch hour this week when time permitted.

Well today I went on my regular Saturday visit to Barnes and Noble for tea and reading (on my Nook) .... and when I whipped out my Kobo to finish the Oz book, that was 90 percent completed, I got the message that I needed to charge my Kobo!

Stunned and frustrated I pulled out my Nook and it too said it needed to be charged.

So here I am back at home, trip cut short, unable to read what I want until both my readers charge up.

Both reader battery icons had indicated they were half charged just on Wednesday. What happened?

Are my e-readers both lemons? Both are kept in Airplane mode to reduce battery drain so that should not be an issue.

Last edited by SonDan1; 04-30-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: additional info
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Can't you use them while they are charging? Are you sure you didn't accidentally turn o the Wi-Fi. It is easy to do.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I don't know what airplane mode is, but you should be sure to keep the WiFi disabled and the newspaper subscriptions disabled.

I read about 2 hours a day and shut the power off (don't use sleep) each time. My battery lasts about 40 days.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Can't you use them while they are charging? Are you sure you didn't accidentally turn o the Wi-Fi. It is easy to do.

Dale
Hi Dale,

Nope can't use while charging. Cord too short.

Nook is now 85 percent charged and I can see that the Airplane mode was def on and I am pretty sure it remained on the Kobo too since I carry them both in protected cases in my work tote.

Thanks for response.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
SonDan1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I don't know what airplane mode is, but you should be sure to keep the WiFi disabled and the newspaper subscriptions disabled.

I read about 2 hours a day and shut the power off (don't use sleep) each time. My battery lasts about 40 days.

ltr
Airplane mode means the WiFi is turned off and I do keep it off at all times.

I am using sleep mode on both readers assuming they are drawing no charge but guess I was wrong. I will turn the readers completely off ltr and see if I can get your 40 days.

Thanks for you reply.
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
With sleep mode under the same conditions I described above I get about 11 days - I did a test when I first got my unit. When I re-did the test with power off and got 40 days, it convinced me that sleep mode draws much more power.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
Nope can't use while charging. Cord too short.
I have just enough length to be able to read using one particular chair....comes in handy. In theory, you should be able to use any mini USB cable - so if you have any longer ones around, you could try that.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
I have just enough length to be able to read using one particular chair....comes in handy. In theory, you should be able to use any mini USB cable - so if you have any longer ones around, you could try that.
I use a wall charger. That way if you need more room then a simple extension cord suffices. And the wall charger is faster.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I use a wall charger. That way if you need more room then a simple extension cord suffices. And the wall charger is faster.
I love the idea of an extension cord! I normally use a wall charger and luckily have a longer USB and a decent chair close to a power point but an extension cord opens up a lot more possibilities!
Seems so obvious but I never thought of it!

HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
My mum's kobo is still only getting a few days per charge, of reading about 2 hours per night. Very frustrating, I upgraded the firmware, but it seems to have made little if any difference. Although she does use the sleep function, doesn't turn it off, so I will suggest that to her.
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life