Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
Mistigri
Mistigri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Kindle has died while travelling, can anyone help?

My 2 week old Kindle 3G has died while travelling on business - someone on the amazon.co.uk Kindle forum suggested I try posting here for help.

Last night while I was reading my Kindle started to operate very slowly with page turns taking 10-20 seconds and the menu unavailable (I could see the menu but not select anything). I tried resetting with the slider several times, and on the third or fourth attempt it booted up and seemed to be back to normal.

This morning about 5 minutes after turning the device on, it froze up completely. I tried resetting but haven't been able to get it working at all - the progress bar on the home page freezes about 1/3 complete. I've tried resetting to factory defaults (doesn't work). It's currently sitting in "recovery mode". Customer services want to replace it but I'm abroad for the next 7 weeks and they can't send returns labels or ship a replacement to an address outside the UK!

Is there anything I can do? It's connected to my laptop and I can "see" the Kindle, but there are no folders on there. It is possible to drag and drop files onto it.
Mistigri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
can't they email you the return label? they did that for me while traveling
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Upgrade your firmware

Your symptoms sound like Firmware 3.0.0. Try upgrading to the latest firmware which has eliminated all those problems.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Mistigri
Mistigri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Is it possible to update the firmware if the Kindle can't be turned on?

There are currently no folders or files of any sort visible on the Kindle, so I'm inclined to suspect it's more than just a firmware problem.

Also, are these problems common? I'm inclined not to bother replacing it, as I bought it to use when travelling, and so I do need to be able to rely on it.
Mistigri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K2 had some problems when it was released, they were fixed and disappeared pretty fast. It sounds like the K3 is having some new unit issues.

I don't know how to load the firmware update without the unit working but I would say return it and get a new one. The number of people posting that they are having problems with their K3's has greatly dropped since the new firmwares have been pushed out.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
If it enters usb mode, you should be able to get it to take firmware >>
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Troubleshooting section of the Kindle Support site
has these steps for a frozen or unresponsive Kindle.

Quote:
1. Unplug Kindle from power adapter or computer.
2. Slide and release the power button. The LED light that surrounds the power button will display green for two seconds.
3. Shut down Kindle by sliding and holding the power button for five seconds. The LED light will blink three times. Wait for the screen to go blank, then release the power button.
4. Turn on the Kindle by sliding and releasing the power button.
5. If Kindle is still not working, you can perform a hard reset by sliding and holding the power button for 15 seconds.
6. If Kindle is still unresponsive, try charging Kindle before trying to restart the device once again.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote