Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 04:51 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
The Reader is ok for now... But agree some changes to the software along with a Mac version are needed...

Drats!!!!! Forgot that in the survey about Mac version of the software!
How important is a Mac version, do you think? It's a very small market compared with the PC market and besides which, can't modern Macs run Windows anyway?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #17
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
How important is a Mac version, do you think? It's a very small market compared with the PC market...
Okay, Mac users are less than 5% of the personal computer market, so I'll concede your point there. However, the proportion varies from market to market--if you surveyed advertising agencies about their computer choice, it won't be 5% Mac, but higher. Apple markets themselves as the computer for creative people, and if Apple's demographic does skew that way, then potential market may be higher than 5%. Until Amazon or Border's or BN do a comprehensive survey of their customers to see which OS is on their PC, we won't know definitively.

Another way to look at it is to start with this question: How many units you want to sell? 10,000? 100,000? A million? As that number gets larger, the number potential users who own a Mac gets larger, and thus the number of customers you're turning away gets larger. Palm PDAs come with a Mac version of their connection software, so why shouldn't the Reader? In the end, it all boils down to how Sony wants to market it.

Quote:
can't modern Macs run Windows anyway?
The Mac hardware can, but then you have to 1) dish out $200 for Windows XP, then 2) partition your hard drive and install Windows on it. The average consumer is not willing to jump through those hoops to use the Sony Reader.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #18
William Moates
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
How important is a Mac version, do you think? It's a very small market compared with the PC market and besides which, can't modern Macs run Windows anyway?
Here's an analogous argument: How important is it to accomodate left-handed users? They only only make up 8-15% of the adult population, so it's a small market compared with the right-handed market and besides which, can't lefties use tools designed for righties?

The answer to both arguments is: "Yeah, they (Mac users or lefties) can, but they won't be happy about it."

If Sony wants a large enough market, they will eventually have to consider the minorities out there and accomodate them.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am left-handed, William, and find the Reader just fine to use. Holding it in my left hand, by thumb falls naturally on the page buttons on the left side of the screen.

I'm not sure it's true to say that Sony necessarily have to accommodate Mac users. Microsoft never have done with the Pocket PC, and nobody could say that it's been a failure as a result. Obviously, though, it would be good if Sony were to do so, but would you consider it a priority compared to, say, adding features like searching?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moates
The Mac hardware can (run Windows), but then you have to 1) dish out $200 for Windows XP, then 2) partition your hard drive and install Windows on it. The average consumer is not willing to jump through those hoops to use the Sony Reader.
Thank you for clarifying that - I was under the (mistaken) impression that it was something you got "for free". I'm afraid I know next to nothing about Macs.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Manufacturing is kneedeep in it now. Prog must be in translations I guess cause I'm sure it won't stay US only very long, face it SONY is Universal! And maybe they're working on a successor!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
One point is that now that the macs are on intel chips, I believe it has become easier to port programs to the Mac OS. Also keep in mind that if the reader is being aimed at academics to a degree, macs have much larger market share than 6% in this area.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #23
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moates
Okay, Mac users are less than 5% of the personal computer market, so I'll concede your point there. However, the proportion varies from market to market--if you surveyed advertising agencies about their computer choice, it won't be 5% Mac, but higher. Apple markets themselves as the computer for creative people, and if Apple's demographic does skew that way, then potential market may be higher than 5%. Until Amazon or Border's or BN do a comprehensive survey of their customers to see which OS is on their PC, we won't know definitively.

Another way to look at it is to start with this question: How many units you want to sell? 10,000? 100,000? A million? As that number gets larger, the number potential users who own a Mac gets larger, and thus the number of customers you're turning away gets larger. Palm PDAs come with a Mac version of their connection software, so why shouldn't the Reader? In the end, it all boils down to how Sony wants to market it.

The Mac hardware can, but then you have to 1) dish out $200 for Windows XP, then 2) partition your hard drive and install Windows on it. The average consumer is not willing to jump through those hoops to use the Sony Reader.

And to that ad 60 dollars for a program to run them both at the same time... Else you reboot to switch...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Guys that Mac PC thing is childish. 5% of a population of anything is a big deal. What if 5% of a group has to die? Would you want to be in it? Everyone has a right to own a reader and use it as fit...unless you don't live in the States.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #25
ayekappy
I like books! :)
ayekappy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The only features that I really think need adding are the ability to search and the ability to input text to be able to search. The input could be a mini keyboard where 1-9 are A-I then 0 will switch 1-9's functionality so they are J-R etc, or the up/down button cycles between 1-10's functionality. That really can't be that hard right? Maybe a 500KB program or smaller?
ayekappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #26
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
So as a Left-handed, non-US, Mac-user I'm pretty screwed all round then.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #27
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
So as a Left-handed, non-US, Mac-user I'm pretty screwed all round then.
Well, I guess it's time to switch hands, cross the sea, and kiss Bill gates!!!

Just kidding, of course... we need people that aren't always just following the herd!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And we don't particularly need people who are willing to kiss Bill Gates
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #29
William Moates
Zealot

I was just playing Devil's advocate to make a point. I'm a Mac fan, but not a rabid Mac fan. I'm not surprised that this version of the Reader came with PC-only software, and I feel Mac software may be the most expensive "feature" to add to the Reader. Probably a third party will make it, and MarkSpace, the company that makes Missing Sync are one of the companies best prepared to make such a product. They've made software that talks to Windows Mobile devices and PSP, and they're working on a Blackberry version. I use their product to sync to my Sony Clie, so I admit to some bias in this statement.

After saying all that, I think that other features (a better Connect store, search capability, delete feature, better button design) are more important than Mac software. Heck, Sony could just contract MarkSpace to make the Mac software.

Last edited by William Moates; 12-01-2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: found some typos
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #30
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Even the left handed (not that there's any thing wrong with being left handed) can still load an SD card of memory stick on a Mac (not that there's anything wrong with Mac users) and insert it into their Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote