Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
spender11
spender11 began at the beginning.

Device: Gateway NV570P20u Windows 10
Unable to upgrade to 2.53 on Windows 10

I am unable to upgrade. I download the file and try to install it and get an error that I already have a newer edition. The installed edition is 2.50. I uninstalled 2.50 and now I cannot install 2.53 I get an error that I do not have permission to access Calibre2 folder in Program Files. I have taken ownership of Program Files and Calibre2 folder but still cannot do anything. I have given myself permission to access it but cannot access it. I created a new folder Calibre2Library in Program files but I cannot install to it either. Help. Thanks.
spender11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Uninstall the version you have and then try installing the new version again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by spender11 View Post
I am unable to upgrade. I download the file and try to install it and get an error that I already have a newer edition. The installed edition is 2.50. I uninstalled 2.50 and now I cannot install 2.53 I get an error that I do not have permission to access Calibre2 folder in Program Files. I have taken ownership of Program Files and Calibre2 folder but still cannot do anything. I have given myself permission to access it but cannot access it. I created a new folder Calibre2Library in Program files but I cannot install to it either. Help. Thanks.
LIBRARIES (or user data) are NOT supposed to be in Program Files

Libraries are left INTACT when you uninstall Calibre
Preferences are Left INTACT when you uninstall Calibre

If you forced something weird (like forcing a Library into Program files, a Windows 3 security failing) in your earlier install, your preferences may be pointing to that.
Preferences are in %appdata%/calibre
Delete those, (NOTE: You will lose you previous SETTINGS and Plugins. Not your books)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
spender11

I uninstalled 2.50. I tried to install 2.53. I get this error:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Calibre2. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administ4rator or contact your system administrator."

I am logged on as Administrator.

Please advise.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
spender11

I found the portable installer, was able to run as administrator. 2.53 successfully installed. However it is located in users\USERNAME not in Program Files which is where I told it to install itself. As long as it works! Just odd...

Tags
calibre 2.5 64 bit, errors, upgrades, windows 10