Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What Did YOU buy during Fictionwise's $700 Billion Dollar Bailout Sale?

Give us your list of what you bought during the "Bailout Sale" from Fictionwise.

I'm back to my first love: Literature.

I've been reading some wonderful, happy trash lately (and loving it!), but thought I'd use the Fictionwise 50% off sale to pick up some titles from my favorite writers.

Here's my list:

1. The Falls – Joyce Carol Oates
2. The Last Detective [an Elvs Cole novel] – Robert Crais
3. My Sister, My Love – Joyce Carol Oates
4. The Corrections – Jonathan Franzen
5. Sexus – Henry Miller
6. Plexus – Henry Miller
7. Nexus – Henry Miller
8. The Royal Family – William T. Vollmann

Vollmann's novel, as a hardback, is a huge tome. I’m a big fan of his writing. He’s a difficult and challenging writer. [I’m hoping he’ll win the Nobel Prize in Literature.]

I read Miller’sRosy Crucifixion Trilogy” [Sexus, Plexus, Nexus] when I was in my 20s. I’m a huge fan of Miller.

I collect First Editions of Joyce Carol Oates. [I’m hoping she, too, will eventually win the Nobel Prize in Literature.]

I had heard a lot about Robert Crais, all very good things. Because I enjoy noir fiction, I bought one of his books to cure my ignorance.

I read Franzen'sThe Corrections” when it first came out, but want to read it again. Unfortunately, my First Edition is in storage in the U.S.A.

I may buy one or two more titles before the end of the sale.

Post your list so that we can comment upon your good taste in reading.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
As I posted in the other thread...

Nim's Island by Wendy Orr
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick
The Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I bought quite a few throwaway trashy novels that I decline to name :>

I also bought the first books in a couple of series by authors I haven't read before:

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter
Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
The Dune series - all 5 books - I am now on my epic read.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Does way too much count as a valid answer?
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I was going to buy the three books in Terry Brooks newest "Genesis of Shanara" but the [out-of-pocket] price was twice what it would have been if I bought them at the Kindle store... yes, I would have had the 50% micro sitting there but I didn't see a reason... if I can get stuff at Amazon for 50% of what FW charges.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
About 25 of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. (I already had the first ten.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
As posted in another thread, here's my list:

The Great and Secret Show
Chasing the Devil: My Twenty-Year Quest to Capture the Green River Killer
Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter Series Book 2)
Dexter in the Dark (Dexter Series Book 3)
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Stand, Complete and Uncut
The Accidental Time Machine

And these (all are Star Trek: TNG series books):
Ghost Ship
Children of Hamlin
Survivors
The Peacekeepers
Strike Zone
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post

cut
I saw your list and was wondering if you had read this book about the Green River Killer, by Ann Rule:

Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer

I have not read either of these two books, by the way.

The emphasis on Rule's book seems to be on the prostitute's lives; whereas, in Reichert's book the criticism appears to be directed at the author.

Nevertheless, I find the case interesting and was wondering which of the two books you would suggest for a first read, as both are available from Fictionwise.

Don
Old 10-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Dr. Drib,

I just finished Ann Rule's book, which was the impetus for me to get Reichert's book.

That was the first Ann Rule book I'd read, and I was only marginally impressed (the writing didn't impress me at all, but the amount of time and effort it took to put that book together did). I have read a fair amount of true crime, though, and the caliber of writing across the genre tends to be just OK, so I don't want to single out Rule.

Honestly, if you're looking for insights into the killer himself, you may be better off with Reichert's book, since Rule's did focus almost exclusively on giving names and personalities to the prostitutes he murdered. In addition, it was a LONG book, and tended to get repetitive (a lot of those poor girls had very similar stories).

I'm planning on starting Reichert's book after I finish the book club book, so if you want, I'll post up a review when I'm done.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
What do you mean with "$700 Billion"?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Fictionwise last week started a huge 50% off sale on their catalog. They want to generate cash and keyed in on my government's [U.S.A] lousy economy created by a number of rascals and governmental crooks.

They extended their sale until tomorrow. Here's a quote from their Home Page:

"....That is for history to judge. To be on the safe side, we have extended our eBook Bailout Plan only through Thursday, October 16, or until we give away $700 billion in rebates, whichever comes first. So don't wait! We've done our part: come load up your shopping cart and buy today!"

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-15-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added U.S.A. - potential confusion due to living in Peru
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I see you didn't post your location (you should do that) but I take it you are not in the USA. If you were you would know that the $700 Billion number is a jab at the government $700 Billion bailout plan that was recently passed by congress to repair the banking industry. Fictionwise is saying they are doing their part to "repair" the eBook industry. Don't take it too seriously.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:

The Great and Secret Show
Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter Series Book 2)
Dexter in the Dark (Dexter Series Book 3)
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Stand, Complete and Uncut
The Accidental Time Machine

And these (all are Star Trek: TNG series books):
Ghost Ship
Children of Hamlin
Survivors
The Peacekeepers
Strike Zone
You have very similar tastes to me I am reading the Dexter books right now too and ave several of the others (including one of the Star Treks).
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Dr. Drib,

I just finished Ann Rule's book, which was the impetus for me to get Reichert's book.

That was the first Ann Rule book I'd read, and I was only marginally impressed (the writing didn't impress me at all, but the amount of time and effort it took to put that book together did). I have read a fair amount of true crime, though, and the caliber of writing across the genre tends to be just OK, so I don't want to single out Rule.

Honestly, if you're looking for insights into the killer himself, you may be better off with Reichert's book, since Rule's did focus almost exclusively on giving names and personalities to the prostitutes he murdered. In addition, it was a LONG book, and tended to get repetitive (a lot of those poor girls had very similar stories).

I'm planning on starting Reichert's book after I finish the book club book, so if you want, I'll post up a review when I'm done.
Both books look very, very interesting to me. I think I'll buy the Reichert book first. -- Thank you for turning me on to this.

A few readers from Amazon have made comments that the Reichert book does NOT give enough coverage to the mind of the serial killer. I don't know if that criticism has any basis in truth, but I am going to pick up the Reichert book before the sale ends.

Don