Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #17851
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just finished "The Collector," by John Fowles, a novel I've been meaning to read for a long, long time. Every horror writer could take a lesson from reading this chilling book.

I'm currently reading John Irving's "The Fourth Hand," one of my favorite writers. I put this one on the back burner years ago. Now, with my book collection in storage and unavailable, I decided to buy this one in ebook and read it. I'm about 2/3 into the the book and it's wonderful reading.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #17852
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Dr. Drib - I remember reading that many years ago, and it certainly qualifies as chilling! Not sure I could even read it now. My tolerance for horror stories like that has definitely decreased.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #17853
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kerry Greenwood & Brandon Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Deadly Heat was the best Nikki Heat novel yet with turns and twists, unexpected surprises, looming danger and untrustworthy players. All-in-all it was a GREAT read.

Next I'm going to be visiting the Australian roaring twenties with Death At Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher #4) by Kerry Greenwood.
Death At Victoria Dock was, as is always the case with a Phryne Fisher mystery, a great read!

My #2 son (to quote the Hollywood Charlie Chan) gave me a Kindle book for my birthday last month. It was Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson. So I'm giving it a try next.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #17854
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Why doesn't it surprise me that you would have read the work in Italian. I always wanted to be multi-lingual, but I think the closest I'm going to get to it is knowing multiple computer programming languages.

Actually, I've always held that my interest in computer programming languages and spoken languages are actually related - but before I go off on my Maths = English = Latin = Computer Programming philosophy...
And I've always wanted to learn computer programming languages, I've been thinking of signing up for a course now that I have the time! I have my own suspicions that programming and spoken languages are related as well.

To get back on topic: I'm reading Ruth Ozeki's The Time Beings. Beautiful and heartbreaking.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #17855
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I just finished "The Collector," by John Fowles, a novel I've been meaning to read for a long, long time. Every horror writer could take a lesson from reading this chilling book.
Thanks for that. A friend gave me a copy of A Maggot a while back which I haven't read. I've never read Fowles - and I have no problem with chilling, disturbing or even mind-bendingly terrifying.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #17856
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Three books read over the last week:

1. "King of the Murgos" by David Eddings. The 2nd book of the "Mallorean" fantasy series. A true classic of fantasy writing.

2. "The Hound of Death" by Agatha Christie. This was her 18th book, and was originally published in 1933. Although Christie is best known as a detective novelist, she also wrote many supernatural stories, and this book, "The Hound of Death", is a collection of 12 short stories, the majority of which are supernatural in nature (although some of them are also crimes). A very interesting collection, and well worth reading if you've not read any of Christie's supernatural stories.

3. "Demon Lord of Karanda" by David Eddings. The 3rd book in the classic "Mallorean" fantasy series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #17857
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just preordered the Kindle edition of I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai (Author) and Christina Lamb (Contributor).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-07-2013 at 08:35 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #17858
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading The Fabric of Sin by Phil Rickman, the ninth book in the Merrily Watkins series. Another great story, even better than the previous books.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #17859
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
2. "The Hound of Death" by Agatha Christie. This was her 18th book, and was originally published in 1933. Although Christie is best known as a detective novelist, she also wrote many supernatural stories, and this book, "The Hound of Death", is a collection of 12 short stories, the majority of which are supernatural in nature (although some of them are also crimes). A very interesting collection, and well worth reading if you've not read any of Christie's supernatural stories.
Checking my notes, I find I read this back in June 2011. I found it a confusing mixture of supernatural and mystery. It's as if in Scooby Doo you had no idea whether the ghost they were hunting would turn out to be a man in a mask or an actual ghost. It rather spoiled the fun for me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #17860
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Checking my notes, I find I read this back in June 2011. I found it a confusing mixture of supernatural and mystery. It's as if in Scooby Doo you had no idea whether the ghost they were hunting would turn out to be a man in a mask or an actual ghost. It rather spoiled the fun for me.
Thanks for the link, Paul. I liked the "is it really supernatural or is it a trick?" aspect of the collection. I do agree that "Witness for the Prosecution" is a real gem, and it doesn't really fit in with the other stories in the collection at all; it's the only story in the book which doesn't have any supernatural element to it at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #17861
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I liked the "is it really supernatural or is it a trick?" aspect of the collection.
How interesting. I hated it. I feel it's like concealing a vital piece of information in a whodunnit -- the reader has no chance of working out what's going on.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #17862
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is either The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver or Top Ten by Ryne Douglas Pearson. I am second in line for the Bone Collector, so I will probably read Top Ten first, depends on if it comes in tonight or tomorrow.
I enjoyed Top Ten and am glad it is not a series - I have enough of those going already. There was one point where I didn't want to continue because I was afraid of what might be coming next. I guess that is a good thing for a thriller.

Still waiting for The Bone Collector so I will probably read Agent of Change by Sharon Lee in the mean time. This is part of a series that I haven't read before, so maybe I am pushing my luck. Oh well. I only need 270 pages to complete my goal for the year, so this should wrap that up too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #17863
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed and the pages are flying. It is a very good book. I love stories about people in the wilderness, whether fiction or non. I'm 60% done.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #17864
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now on to the latest in the Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson - Watching the Dark. I'd have had to wait to read this, but one of those 65% Kobo codes was gifted to me, so I used it well.
I finished Bad Boy, #19 in the Inspector Banks series (this was a catchup I'd apparently missed), and moved on to #20, Watching the Dark. This doesn't have the early problems of Bad Boy, but moves immediately into the story and Inspector Alan Banks involvement. Hard to put down, even though we're dealing with some fairly dark stuff.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #17865
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Thanks for that link. I hadn't heard of this yet. I can't believe it's been a whole year since she was attacked by the Taliban!
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote