Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #46
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Are we restricting our nominations to free or non-DRM books? I admit I didn't read the rules closely.
Haven't read the rules closely myself, but we've nominated DRM encumbered ebooks in the past. Me included...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'll nominate the first Nero Wolfe novel, Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout.

Quote:
As any herpetologist will tell you, the fer-de-lance is among the most dreaded snakes known to man. When someone makes a present of one to Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin knows he's getting dreadully close to solving the devilishly clever murders of an immigrant and a college president. As for Wolfe, he's playing snake charmer in a case with more twists than an anaconda -- whistling a seductive tune he hopes will catch a killer who's still got poison in his heart.
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/ferdelance...s=Fer-de-Lance
I'll second that! I love the Rex Stout's Archie and Nero stories.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Are we restricting our nominations to free or non-DRM books? I admit I didn't read the rules closely.
No, the only requirement is that it must be legally available as an ebook. Commercial ebooks with DRM are certaintly valid. Eg, the current book, Raymond Chandler's "The Long Good-bye" is only legally available to most of us as a commercial book with DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #49
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The activity seems a little slow this month.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #50
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Boston Blackie is also available as an epub at Munseys, if you don't want to take the trouble to convert RWood's mobi or lrf here at MobileRead. I don't think there are any geo-restrictions at Munseys.
got it at Munseys and now on my Ipad! Have started reading Raffles and loving it!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #51
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

I love free books and this is currently free on Amazon as a "preorder". Meaning it will be downloaded to your Kindle or Kindle app on Sept 8th. Perfect for those who are anxiously awaiting their new K3s or those of us who have Kindle apps on computers, phones, and iPads.

I nominate: Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

It is Winter Carnival in Quebec City, bitterly cold and surpassingly beautiful. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté de Quebec has come not to celebrate but to recover from a harrowing investigation gone wrong that left one of his team members dead. But murder seems to follow Gamache everywhere, even to the seemingly peaceful Literary and Historical Society, one of the last bastions of English culture in Quebec, where a man in found dead in the basement.

About the Author
LOUISE PENNY’s first novel, Still Life, won the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards. Her second book, A Fatal Grace, won the 2007 Agatha Award for Best Novel, as did her third, The Cruelest Month. Her next, A Rule Against Murder, was a New York Times bestseller, followed by The Brutal Telling, which was a New York Times, USA Today, Entertainment Weekly, and National Indie bestseller.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=docs-os-doi_0

Last edited by MsAstoria; 08-23-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #52
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I nominate "Flood" by Andrew Vachss.
Details at:
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/flood-andrew vachss-ebook/?qs=Flood
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #53
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Anyone who wants a quick look at what has been nominated so far can check post #9. I have been trying to keep track, so let me know if there are any errors.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #54
limawhiskey
limawhiskey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v3
Daft question alert - will there be a further poll for the nominated books or is this a combined nominate and vote thread?

If it's the latter then I'll vote for Killing Floor - I've been meaning to sample the Jack Reacher series for a while.

edit:
Never mind, I just re-read the first post

Last edited by limawhiskey; 08-23-2010 at 05:45 PM.
limawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please don't nominate a book just because it is free. Nominate it because you want to read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #56
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't nominate a book just because it is free. Nominate it because you want to read it.
Most definitely, I already had it ordered before I nominated it. I think it's going to be a great read!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #57
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Most of the nominated books are already on my to read list...

So, Here my three cents:

A is for Alibi, by Sue Grafton
http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=%22A%2...nE=Find+Ebooks

Description: "Kinsey Millhone is a female Sam Spade; a thorough professional, a loner, clear-headed and unsentimental."--Lucille Kallen "Kinsey Millhone is an entirely fresh and original character, and I feel sure that the series will go all through the alphabet."--Patricia Moyes When Laurence Fife was murdered, few mourned his passing. A prominent divorce attorney with a reputation for single-minded … more »ruthlessness on behalf of his clients, Fife was also rumored to be a dedicated philanderer. Plenty of people in the picturesque southern California town of Santa Teresa had a reason to want him dead. Including, thought the cops, his young and beautiful wife, Nikki. With motive, access, and opportunity, Nikki was their number-one suspect. The jury thought so, too. Eight years later and out on parole, Niki Fife hires Kinsey Millhone to find out who really killed her late husband. A trail that is eight years cold. A trail that reaches out to enfold a bitter, wealthy, and foul-mouthed old woman and a young boy, born deaf, whose memory cannot be trusted. A trail that leads to a lawyer defensively loyal to a dead partner--and disarmingly attractive to Millhone; to an ex-wife, brave, lucid, lovely--and still angry over Fife's betrayal of her; to a not-so-young secretary with too high a salary for too few skills--and too many debts left owing: The trail twists to include them all, with Millhone following every turn until it finally twists back on itself and she finds herself face-to-face with a killer cunning enough to get away with murder. (from Amazon.com)

Track of the Cat, by Nevada Barr
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/track-of-c...qs=nevada+barr

Description: From the vivid opening vista, high in craggy mountains, to the final haunting glimpse of a moonlit canyon, Nevada Barr's first mystery, Track of the Cat, instantly caught the attention of readers and reviewers. Its popularity gained it both an Agatha and an Anthony Award. The young naturalist, Anna Pigeon, has moved to the Southwest wilderness to be a park ranger. There, her days are filled … more »with the physical demands of working in the Guadalupe Mountains and the satisfaction of living in this splendid land. Her peace is shattered one morning, though, when she discovers the body of another ranger deep in Dog Canyon. How did the usually cautious woman die? Although at first the evidence indicates an attack by a mountain lion, Anna soon suspects that there are craftier predators afoot in the wild grasses. Fast-paced suspense and sharply defined characters will immediately sweep you up in the force of this compelling mystery. By the end, you'll be nodding in satisfaction at the... (from Barnes & Noble)

And a third nomination for Rex Stout's Fer de Lance
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does nobody want to nominate a mystery that is not a crime? The "mystery" category is certainly not limited to just crime novels!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #59
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does nobody want to nominate a mystery that is not a crime? The "mystery" category is certainly not limited to just crime novels!
Go for it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK, here's one. For my third and final vote, I nominate the novel White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by MR member Paul Clayton. I read it earlier this year and it is excellent! It's a bit long, but the ending is one of those that will stay with you a long time, and the speculation about the colonist's true fate should surely engender a lively discussion.

It's available at Smashwords, Amazon, and other stores.

From Publishers Weekly: White Seed…hews closely to the record of Sir Walter Raleigh's second doomed attempt to plant the British flag in Virginia… The depiction of the colony's physical and moral disintegration between 1587 and 1590 -- as drunken, cannibalistic soldiers mutiny and brutalize the settlers they were meant to protect, and as colonists confront disease, starvation and madness -- evokes a harrowing sense of human fallibility. Readers…will find this saga, which…soon achieves page-turner velocity, to be both a dandy diversion and an entertaining education.

Publisher's Weekly isn't exaggerating about that page-turner velocity. The closer you get to the climax, the more of an emotional roller-coaster the book becomes. It starts slow, but ends at a breakneck thrill-ride speed.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-24-2010 at 12:42 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote