Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Marc,

My experience is the same as yours; the seemless integration of dictionary lookup in Mobi devices makes it no more disruptive than, say, following a hyperlink to read a footnote. It really does work very well indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #47
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Custom fonts, true italics, more font sizes and dictonary lookup would be on the top of my priority list. I simply love the fact that I can use my favourite font (Dolly) with the Cybook and have true italics and bold text as well.
(As far as I've heard, the Sony Reader synthesises the italics, not sure about bold text.)
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
(As far as I've heard, the Sony Reader synthesises the italics, not sure about bold text.)
What does it matter whether it synthesises it or not as long as it is italic? It trully escapes me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #49
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Letter-size screen and AAA batteries

The next PRS needs to have an A4/Letter-sized screen to accurately display pdf.

Regular AAA NiMH batteries would be nice too. If they're good enough for digital cameras, they should be more than powerful enough for an e-ink display. That way we can carry all the spares we like.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What does it matter whether it synthesises it or not as long as it is italic? It trully escapes me.
A real italic font is a lot more attractive to read than a "sloped" normal font, which is what you get on the Sony. Not a big deal, but it certainly looks better.
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
The next PRS needs to have an A4/Letter-sized screen to accurately display pdf.
There is a market for such a device, but it's a different market to the paperback book device that we have now. One of the reasons I sold my iLiad is that I found it too big to carry around with me everywhere I go, as one can with the existing Sony.

Quote:
Regular AAA NiMH batteries would be nice too. If they're good enough for digital cameras, they should be more than powerful enough for an e-ink display. That way we can carry all the spares we like.
Do you really find yourself in need of spare batteries on a device which needs charging every couple of weeks at most?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Custom fonts, true italics, more font sizes and dictonary lookup would be on the top of my priority list. I simply love the fact that I can use my favourite font (Dolly) with the Cybook and have true italics and bold text as well.
Custom fonts would be tricky on the Sony. On a MobiPocket device, the user can select the font. On the Sony, the font is specified by the actual book.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #53
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I find myself needing to charge the PRS-505 every few days, not every 2 weeks. Maybe I simply read a lot, I don't know. Or maybe this is the excuse I need to get a refund.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How long do you reckon you actually spend READING on a charge, Taylor? If you're not getting, say, 20h+ reading from a battery charge, then I think you've got a battery problem.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #55
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I recharged my 500 every two or three weeks when I bought it ten months ago but am having to do so two to three times a week now. I assume that in a few months I will have to replace the battery.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #56
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How long do you reckon you actually spend READING on a charge, Taylor? If you're not getting, say, 20h+ reading from a battery charge, then I think you've got a battery problem.
I haven't actually monitored it, but would guess "more than I think". A typical reading session for me might start around 8:00pm and last "until the book is finished". 11? Midnight? 4-5 sessions like that in a week is 16-20 hours. I'm also reading entirely off of the SD card, which I heard takes more power (true?), and I also switch SD cards (one for books, another for photos, sketches).
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I recharged my 500 every two or three weeks when I bought it ten months ago but am having to do so two to three times a week now. I assume that in a few months I will have to replace the battery.
There's something VERY wrong there. There's no way that a LiIon battery should degrade that quickly. You'd expect it to have around 70% of its original capacity after 3 years, perhaps. Should still be at least at 90% of original capacity after only 10 months.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #58
olderjohn
olderjohn began at the beginning.

Device: 2 sony 505s
I would like to have available a solar recharger, then my reader could be as portable as the books it help replace... it could go camping,hiking and to the beach.
olderjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #59
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's something VERY wrong there. There's no way that a LiIon battery should degrade that quickly. You'd expect it to have around 70% of its original capacity after 3 years, perhaps. Should still be at least at 90% of original capacity after only 10 months.
I've seen a steady decline since I bought it. All of my recharging is done overnight using the AC charger (not via the USB). Most of my books are on a 2Gb SD card. Do you think I should try removing that card and living on the internal memory for awhile to see if there's a dramatic difference?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #60
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderjohn View Post
I would like to have available a solar recharger, then my reader could be as portable as the books it help replace... it could go camping,hiking and to the beach.
you might want to look at this thread ; before degenerating into unutterable silliness, it was a perfectly serious discussion of precisely that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, keyboard, upgrade