Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #136
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good evening. Just a question. When jailbreaking my DX there were install and uninstall .bin files. How would I remove the jailbreak from my sister's K4NT (in case I need to)?
Thank you

Last edited by anonimo200; 02-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #137
Slayer48
Slayer48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hi I'm new here and I was wondering if there is any possible way to make the screensavers rotate on a timed basis. I did the screensaver hack and have custom savers but if I don't manualy switch them by turning on and off the same one stays on the screen the whole time it is in sleep mode. and sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Slayer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #138
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
AFAIK it isn't possible. When Kindle goes to screen saver mode it after some time stops all activity (even CPU goes to deep idle) until you press power button.
I mean, you probably can prevent it from going to deep idle and rotate screensavers, but that should be draining on your battery a lot compared to usual screensaver process.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #139
Civpilot
Civpilot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Screensaver hack does work

Hi, long time reader first time poster etc.

I notice in the wiki page it states that the quick Screensaver hack currently doesn't work... however it has worked for me.

First time I tried it I got the 'U007' error but it had successfully created the folders. So I populated these folders and I still had the default screensavers .

I went back into the folders and removed all of my new images and applied the update a second time. Same error message, put the new images back in the folder, same result.

I applied the update a third time, only this time I left my images in the screensavers folder before updating.... update successfull and the images have now replaced the originals and I have the custom screensavers now working.

I was a bit convoluted but maybe this is something to try (do the update with a U007 error, put in the custom images, then do the update again?)

But it does work....

Civpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #140
Slayer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
You first have to disable the Special Offers. See here.

For all of you who think it is somehow unethical to do that, may I remind you that the Kindle runs GNU Linux. You are completely within your right to add files on the operating system (in this case a blank .assets file) as per the GPL.
ok total newb here so bear with me please. I tried to disable the ads following your instructions and when I get to the part where you create the text doc in the system folder, I create the file (g.txt) then go back and open the command window and when I type in (ren g.txt .assets) and hit enter it says it can't find the file. Am I doing it wrong, if so can you please explain it to me.

Also in this tutorial
(4. ssh into the device with putty
5. delete or rename the .assets folder located in /mnt/us/
6. delete or rename /var/local/adunits directory
7. delete or rename /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/adunits/600x800/banner.gif and screensvr.gif
8. delete or rename /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
9. create a link from /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 to your own screensavers (/mnt/us/screensaver): ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800) Can someone please explain to me how to delete or rename these files,how to get to them and also how to create the link between the screensaver folders/files.
Any help would be appreciated.
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #141
Slayer48

I figured it out after fiddling with it for a while.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #142
Tronar
Tronar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4.0.1
WLAN in DIAGS mode

Hallo all,

how can I activate the Wifi connection in the diagnostics mode on a Kindle 4.0.1?

Background: I want to misuse my Kindle as a router. I want it to route the traffic from a PC via USB out into a WLAN. The PC itself does not have a WLAN adapter.

This should be as simple as bringing both network devices up on the Kindle and enabling IP forwarding via "echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward".

Problem: the WLAN interface.
After booting in diagnostics mode, a wlan0 does not even exist. When I activate the "Wifi test" in the menu, I have a wlan0, but it is down.
* ifup wlan0 complains: can't open '/etc/network/interfaces': No such file or directory
* I don't see a DHCP-client anywhere.
* Manually fumbling around with iwconfig and ifconfig results in the wlan0 being "UP" but not "RUNNING". I can set IP address etc, but I never see a hardware address (MAC).

Any advice?

PS: Perhaps one could solve this in the "normal" (as opposed to diagnostic) mode. But I would prefer my Kindle in "normal" mode to work "normally", e.g. having a USB storage device rather than a USB network.
Tronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #143
bill crystals
bill crystals began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civpilot View Post

I notice in the wiki page it states that the quick Screensaver hack currently doesn't work... however it has worked for me.

First time I tried it I got the 'U007' error but it had successfully created the folders. So I populated these folders and I still had the default screensavers .

I went back into the folders and removed all of my new images and applied the update a second time. Same error message, put the new images back in the folder, same result.

I applied the update a third time, only this time I left my images in the screensavers folder before updating.... update successfull and the images have now replaced the originals and I have the custom screensavers now working.

I was a bit convoluted but maybe this is something to try (do the update with a U007 error, put in the custom images, then do the update again?)

But it does work....

Can you link to this quick screensaver method?
bill crystals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #144
Ethan G
Ethan G began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
I just upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.1 and the /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon directory has only otaup and usbnetd sub-directories; no powerd sub-directory. Somehow my Kindle is still timing-out to screensaver after 10 minutes, but I don't know how. (I was hacking in the daemon directory prior to upgrading though, so maybe I did something bad?!?) Can anybody else with a US Kindle 4, non-touch, special offers 4.0 or 4.0.1 let me know if you have the t1_timeout file and whether changing it makes any difference? (BTW, I checked with "find" and I didn't/don't have a t1_timeout file anywhere in my Kindle's filesystem.)
Same here. I have a British non-touch wifi Kindle with no adverts. I assume I have firmware 4.0.0 because "mario" worked as the root password, I didn't actually look. >_> Mine also has other differences from other NTs; I've particularly noticed the framebuffer looks more like a Touch's: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...20#post1975920

Edit: AHA! That file isn't there in diagnostic mode, but it is in normal mode. Enable ssh over wifi (link) and it's there.

I'd like to know a few other things too, like how to stop it going into usb-storage mode when charging, and if I need to muck about with keys to launch programs I've compiled; there are a couple I would like to port.

Last edited by Ethan G; 02-22-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Ethan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #145
Civpilot
Civpilot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill crystals View Post
Can you link to this quick screensaver method?
I got it off the wiki page...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...reensaver_Hack

The wiki states that it currently doesn't work but as my screen shot proves, it does work.
Civpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #146
kartobot
kartobot began at the beginning.

Well,for me,after trying like 5 times,the screensaver hack from the wiki page worked as well after rebooting. Eventually it said update successfull.
kartobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #147
Tronar
Tronar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronar View Post
how can I activate the Wifi connection in the diagnostics mode on a Kindle 4.0.1?

Background: I want to misuse my Kindle as a router. I want it to route the traffic from a PC via USB out into a WLAN. The PC itself does not have a WLAN adapter.
Nobody could help me here; so I have helped myself. Here is a preliminary solution:

The Atheros Wifi chip is driven by the kernel module ar6003.ko, but this module requires some binary files (firmware) to be uploaded. It seems to me that the diagnostics mode uses a different firmware for testing purpose, you cannot operate the WLAN as usual.
Both loading the kernel module and its firmware components should be done by the script /opt/ar6k/host/support/loadAR6000.sh - but it fails complaining about the file /opt/ar6k/target/AR6003/hw2.1.1/bin/AR6103_v4_041_ANTDC_Diversity_16dBm_0216.bin not being present.
I looked in the directory /opt/factory/tools/atheros/art_rel/art/bin but could not find exactly this file either. So I selected the one with the most similar name AR6103_v4_041_PrimaryANTSwapped_Diversity_16dBm_03 172011.bin and copied (and renamed) it to the former directory.
Guess what? Everything worked!
Here is the summary, that you can write as a shell script to an arbitrary directory and execute whenenver you want:
Code:
f=/opt/ar6k/target/AR6003/hw2.1.1/bin/AR6103_v4_041_ANTDC_Diversity_16dBm_0216.bin
test -r $f || cp /opt/factory/tools/atheros/art_rel/art/bin/AR6103_v4_041_PrimaryANTSwapped_Diversity_16dBm_03172011.bin $f
cd /opt/ar6k/host/support
./loadAR6000.sh
ifconfig wlan0 inet 192.168.1.99 broadcast 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
iwconfig wlan0 essid "ConnectionPoint" channel 11
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
iwconfig wlan0 essid "ConnectionPoint" channel 11
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
The ifconfig and iwconfig commands bring up the network with an appropriate IP address, radio channel etc., the route command sets the standard route to the access point. My WLAN is not encrypted, b.t.w.
The echo command, finally, switches on routing. Writing this message now, my PC is only connected to the internet via Kindle.
You must not forget to adjust the routes on your PC
Code:
route delete default
route add default gw 192.168.15.244
and on the access point
Code:
route add 192.168.15.0/24 gw 192.168.1.99
too. And don't forget to change the data in the script according to your network. Maybe also the file names are different. You will notice this when the load script complains.

Limitations:
  • How to enable DHCP?
  • No name resolution on the Kindle itself: ping www.google.com results in a "bad address" error. Ping to an explicit IP works. On the PC the resolution works of course.
Tronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #148
Radi
Radi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civpilot View Post

But it does work....

Hello there, I just came to these forums to find out of I could get some screensavers on my K4NT as i was unable to with trying other sites..

I just registered here to say this method works and is a lot easier than changing settings through your networks etc..

I followed the Ixtab jailbreak method found here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...reensaver_Hack

and then did the screensaver hack, I did get an error message but when I restarted the kindle and re-synced with the pc the linkss folder was there with the screenshots folder inside.

I put the screenshot I had in the folder, ejected and it didn't seem to work, so next reconnect to pc, put the screensaver hack back on the kindle but leave your custom screensavers in the screensaver folder. Update your kindle again and it should say update successful.

enjoy!

Last edited by Radi; 03-12-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #149
rlKoekie
rlKoekie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT
Hi all,

i have a kindle4NT (duh, why else should i be writing here) and i'm also not afraid of a little linux and hacking.
i'm currently searching for a crontab on my kindle, because i want to download my home-made newsfeed subscriptions automaticly. (this used to work when i was still in trial period on an amazon subscribtion to the times, but stopped working when i cancelled the subscription).
basicly all i need is for the kindle to wake up around 05:00 and "sync and check for new items"

however, the crontab -l and -e commands complain about missing the /var/spool/cron/crontabs folder.
creating this folder and a crontab file is no problem, but its a temporary file system, so i guess the changes won't stick.
also, does the cron deamon work on the kindle4NT? is it enabled by default?

another way to go would be to find out what changes on the kindle filesystem whenever i subscribe to a newspaper, has anybody done that before?
rlKoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #150
rlKoekie
rlKoekie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan G View Post
Same here. I have a British non-touch wifi Kindle with no adverts. I assume I have firmware 4.0.0 because "mario" worked as the root password, I didn't actually look. >_> Mine also has other differences from other NTs; I've particularly noticed the framebuffer looks more like a Touch's: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...20#post1975920

Edit: AHA! That file isn't there in diagnostic mode, but it is in normal mode. Enable ssh over wifi (link) and it's there.

I'd like to know a few other things too, like how to stop it going into usb-storage mode when charging, and if I need to muck about with keys to launch programs I've compiled; there are a couple I would like to port.
the files can also be found if you mount the main kindle partition when in usbnetwork mode (from the wikipage):
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
go to /mnt/base-mmc and walk the normal path from there
rlKoekie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack