Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #706
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, excellent
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #707
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Currently listening to The Grand Sophy, by Georgette Heyer, read by Sarah Woodward. This is one of my "WhisperSync for Voice" ready books, so bought for a pittance, and that covered by my $10 credit from last month. I've just started it, so no strong opinion on the reader yet, but she seems OK.

I also used that credit to buy a couple of other Georgette Heyer books that I had Kindle versions of. Nice to stock up at reduced prices.

3/4ths of the way through, and this is one of my favourite Georgette Heyer books, which means it's very good indeed. Loving it!

Last edited by CRussel; 01-06-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #708
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I'm 22% into 'Life After Life' by Kate Atkinson and I'm debating whether to bail on it. It's so confusing, but also repetitive. I also have the ebook and have to keep reviewing what I've listened to, to clear up my confusion. It's just too much effort. I've had one friend tell me it wasn't worth finishing. Anyone here have an opinion?
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #709
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion) by Elizabeth Moon. Great narration by Jennifer Van Dyck. I will buy the rest of the series after this one.
I really liked the Sheepfarmer's Daughter. I also like whole series as ebooks (originally bought it in paper). I found that Divided Allegiance really bogged down for me as an audiobook. I found the "I'm not perfect, so I deserved to be beaten" sections kind of hard to listen to. I guess that I had gotten in the habit to skimming through those sections in ebook. Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood at the time and it's time to go back again.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #710
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm listening to All the Little Live Things by Wallace Stegner, expertly narrated by Edward Hermann. Unfortunately, the protagonist is in "Old Man Yells at Cloud!" (curmudgeon) mode a lot of the time.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #711
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I haven't been listening to any audiobook-audiobooks lately because I've just done a huge catch-up on Welcome To Night Vale. It's great.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #712
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently listening to The Grand Sophy, by Georgette Heyer, read by Sarah Woodward. This is one of my "WhisperSync for Voice" ready books, so bought for a pittance, and that covered by my $10 credit from last month. I've just started it, so no strong opinion on the reader yet, but she seems OK.

I also used that credit to buy a couple of other Georgette Heyer books that I had Kindle versions of. Nice to stock up at reduced prices.

3/4ths of the way through, and this is one of my favourite Georgette Heyer books, which means it's very good indeed. Loving it!
Finished, and loved it. Highly recommended. And the final climax is pure Heyer. Totally convoluted and hilarious. Even though you know how it all has to end, you're always amazed at how she pulls all the strings back together.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #713
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
My Recent Listening:
  • A Dog Named Christmas by Greg Kincaid - short, easy, feel-good Christmas story. Not bad, especially if you are a dog lover.
  • The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens - (Audible freebie) Bailed. Didn't keep my attention.
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - I don't usually like war stories but this was excellent. Great performance, too. Read and listened to the last 25% because I was so into it.
  • Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin - (a 28-hour monstrosity) Was getting so confused listening to it and my mind kept drifting, so switched to reading at about 40%. Finished it but wish I hadn't. Think I'll skip the movie, too. Had some nice moments, beautiful descriptions, and some funny bits, but ending was a let down for me.
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley - Another fun Flavia de Luce mystery. Blew through it in a few days.
  • A Man of His Own by Susan Wilson - Just started today. Enjoyed her previous books with dogs. If you're a dog lover, try them.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 AM   #714
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Red Seas Under Red Skies redeemed itself considerably in the last third. After that one I listened to Steelheart, which I would rate low among Sanderson's work but was still fun enough. Now I'm back into the Codex Alera and finding book 3 a tad uneven, enjoying the series protagonist's storyline but finding the rest often tedious.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #715
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
[*] Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin - (a 28-hour monstrosity) Was getting so confused listening to it and my mind kept drifting, so switched to reading at about 40%. Finished it but wish I hadn't. Think I'll skip the movie, too. Had some nice moments, beautiful descriptions, and some funny bits, but ending was a let down for me.
Borrowed this one from the library and abandoned it after listening for just a few hours.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #716
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Listening to "Snuff" by Terry Pratchett. I borrowed it from the library and am enjoying it tremendously.

I usually listen to thrillers because I use them to pass the time on the rowing machine. I gave up on "The Hades Factor" by Ludlum, "Inferno" by Dan Brown, "The Undead Situation", and several others simply because they were pretty boring. I can handle boring in print, but not an audiobook. I can skip or skim with print, but tougher to do with audiobooks, especially when it's across the room from me.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #717
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished, and loved it. Highly recommended. And the final climax is pure Heyer. Totally convoluted and hilarious. Even though you know how it all has to end, you're always amazed at how she pulls all the strings back together.
Something completely different now. The latest in the Imager series by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. -- Rex Regis:Imager Portfolio, Book 8. Excellently read by William Dufris. This is a series that I only read in audio books - I tried reading Modesitt in eBook, but it just didn't work as well for me as it does in audio book. IAC, I enjoy the series quite a bit, and recommend it. The books are a good size - 16-19 hours - without being huge. If you haven't tried the series yet, give Imager, the first in the series, a try. Worth a credit to see what you think. Or get the Kindle version from Amazon for $2.99, and then you get the Audible version for $9.95.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-10-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #718
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Something completely different now. The latest in the Imager series by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. -- [B]Rex Regis:Imager Portfolio, Book 8[//b]. Excellently read by William Dufris. This is a series that I only read in audio books - I tried reading Modesitt in eBook, but it just didn't work as well for me as it does in audio book. IAC, I enjoy the series quite a bit, and recommend it. The books are a good size - 16-19 hours - without being huge. If you haven't tried the series yet, give Imager, the first in the series, a try. Worth a credit to see what you think. Or get the Kindle version from Amazon for $2.99, and then you get the Audible version for $9.95.
I have Modesitt's first Recluce audiobook, and it's high on my TBL list. Depending on how I feel about going straight into the next Codex Alera book, it might be up next.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #719
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have Modesitt's first Recluce audiobook on my to be listened to list as well. Right now I'm in the middle of (actually getting to the end of) Joe Haldeman's The Forever War. A very good book, though I would say that it's a very 70's book in some of it's views.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #720
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have Modesitt's first Recluce audiobook on my to be listened to list as well. Right now I'm in the middle of (actually getting to the end of) Joe Haldeman's The Forever War. A very good book, though I would say that it's a very 70's book in some of it's views.
Haven't read that series. I'm not sure I'm up for it - I find I enjoy his books just about as often as they come out, but don't find myself rereading or looking for opportunities for more or earlier access. Though it might be interesting to try one of his other series, just to get a feel for which of his quirks are core to the author.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations