Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
glukkon
glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1
Highlighting Text, Backup to PC, Copy to other Ereader

Hi

is there any ereader that can highlight text, backup to highlights to a PC, and copy these highlights to another ereader of the same model.

thanks
glukkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle does this, except that the backup to PC is done via the "My Clippings.txt" file, and/or kindle.amazon.com web site. Copying them to another reader is done via syncing the other Kindle to the first one.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
glukkon
glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glukkon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can I do this also with books which I did not purchase at amazon?
Can I sync one kindle to the other via my pc? I dont want to upload my highlited text to amazon.

any other option than kindle?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't sync books which are not purchased at Amazon. You can't sync via your PC, either.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo will sync annotations and bookmarks between their devices and apps for the kepub books.

If you are talking about epubs, they don't. But, the annotations are stored in a file, and that could be copied to another device. In fact, the file seems to be produced by ADE on the device, so it might be transferable to other ADE based devices or the PC app.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
glukkon

Kobo Touch seems to have bad dictonarys. Kobo Glo is sold out here in Germany.

Any other options?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can't sync books which are not purchased at Amazon. You can't sync via your PC, either.
Actually, you can sync books that weren't purchased at Amazon, as long as they are stored in your cloud (archives). You can send to the cloud by enabling archiving in the Personal Document settings on the Manage Your Kindle page at amazon.com. I believe that using the Send To Kindle app also sends documents to the archives, but I don't use that app, so can't confirm that.

Here's a link to the page on amazon that discusses this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200767340

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 12-12-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add link
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can also sync your own books by having Calibre add a "fake" ASIN record to the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
glukkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo will sync annotations and bookmarks between their devices and apps for the kepub books.

If you are talking about epubs, they don't. But, the annotations are stored in a file, and that could be copied to another device. In fact, the file seems to be produced by ADE on the device, so it might be transferable to other ADE based devices or the PC app.
with ADE do you mean Adobe?
I only have epubs without Adobe Digital Editions
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
glukkon

Kindle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can also sync your own books by having Calibre add a "fake" ASIN record to the file.
Ok, and does the sync with Calibre also sync the highlighted text?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, I don't know. You may wish to ask in the Kindle forum. I suspect that it only syncs the current reading position, but, as I say, that's only a guess.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glukkon View Post
with ADE do you mean Adobe?
I only have epubs without Adobe Digital Editions
Yes, "Adobe Digital Editions". You can open epubs that don't have DRM in ADE. And, as far as tell, most ereaders that support epub use ADE to do this. This is why they can read epubs that have Adobe DRM. What I was thinking is that you could copy the annotations file from one ADE based device to another.

An experiment with my Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo worked. These are running the same firmware version. Putting the annotation on the PC for ADE mostly worked. The annotations were in the list, selecting them went to the right place but the text wasn't highlighted. Creating a new annotation in ADE on the PC and copying the file back to the devices worked properly.

I don't have another ereader to test with. But, if they it uses ADE and the directory the annotations file is stored in, there is a good chance the above would work.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
You can do it with SONY's. Kind of. Like anything SONY, it requires more effort than it should. But yes, you can annotate, store on your PC (but you can only view those annotations via the SONY software) and then copy over to another SONY device.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
glukkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, "Adobe Digital Editions". You can open epubs that don't have DRM in ADE. And, as far as tell, most ereaders that support epub use ADE to do this. This is why they can read epubs that have Adobe DRM. What I was thinking is that you could copy the annotations file from one ADE based device to another.

An experiment with my Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo worked. These are running the same firmware version. Putting the annotation on the PC for ADE mostly worked. The annotations were in the list, selecting them went to the right place but the text wasn't highlighted. Creating a new annotation in ADE on the PC and copying the file back to the devices worked properly.

I don't have another ereader to test with. But, if they it uses ADE and the directory the annotations file is stored in, there is a good chance the above would work.
did you try this with epub or kepub?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glukkon View Post
did you try this with epub or kepub?
epub.

The kepub annotations are synced to the Kobo servers and then other devices and apps. Because of that, and because I don't read many kepubs, I haven't really looked at the kepub annotations. I just checked, they are only in database.