Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Amazon Patent Application fo rDual Eink/LCD Device and Hands on with prototype devic

This only proves further how broken the Patent System is in the Us. Granted its only an application and SHOULD get denied I have no faith that it will be since they actually filed the application

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/30/a...e-e-ink-and-l/

The hands on is from the IFA show and apparently Eink themselves were showing this device and talking about the power savings from offloading static content to the Eink side

http://www.stuff.tv/news/ifa/rumour-...plays-incoming

I hope this means that that silly Patent Ap will be denied but the new "first to file" switch may allow it through.

But seriously how to they (Amazon) expect that to pass? there have been tons of device with back to back displays in the past- i have a cell phone in my pocket right now that has two displays back to back.

There have been devices which offload content from one lcd to the other either both lcd or one lcd and one eink not the least of which was the Entourage Edge.

Ill probably be ranting about this for the rest of the day but ill try to keep away from the keyboard for as much as I can
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
And this is called invention ?
For a moment I thought it was the same screen but then I read the word patent.

Last edited by din155; 08-31-2012 at 11:15 AM.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The eink side is upside down

No raised bezels, so how do they prevent the screens from getting scratched?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A phone-sized eink reader; how cool is that?

I want a Galaxy Note sized eink reader that fits in my shirt pocket. Great for reading on the go.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't think it is cool at all. It is too small in my opinion. I wouldn't want a screen smaller than my Kindle 6 inch screen. I would never buy a device that has back-to-back screens.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The eink side is upside down

No raised bezels, so how do they prevent the screens from getting scratched?
thats the problem. Two screens back to back and it needs patent protection?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
But seriously how to they (Amazon) expect that to pass? there have been tons of device with back to back displays in the past- i have a cell phone in my pocket right now that has two displays back to back.
They are hoping the patent office will see the "A" in Amazon and mistake it for Apple.

I have formed a company called Ample and have recently applied for a patent on filing patents.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
din155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
They are hoping the patent office will see the "A" in Amazon and mistake it for Apple.

I have formed a company called Ample and have recently applied for a patent on filing patents.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I don't think it is cool at all. It is too small in my opinion. I wouldn't want a screen smaller than my Kindle 6 inch screen. I would never buy a device that has back-to-back screens.
I don't want one that size either. I just think it's neat that they've considered smaller sizes. What I really want is one the same size as a Galaxy Note. I'd ditch my K4 for one.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
There are lots of companies named Ample. One of them might sue you.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Without a raised bezel of some kind, I would be hesitant to get something like this. But, I do like the idea a great deal. It's kinda like the enTourage Edge in a single slab.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I want a Galaxy Note sized eink reader that fits in my shirt pocket. Great for reading on the go.
count me in
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I wouldn't be so sure that the patent won't/shouldn't be awarded.
Patents are awarded for very specific methods and aplications; often two different ways of doing the same or similar thing can be rightfully patented.
People tend to focus a lot of *what* a patent is about and very little on *how* the patented process or device works.
One patent for a double-screened device might feed each screen off a separate buffer and controller while another might run both off the same controller with a single partitioned buffer.
Who knows? Maybe they found a clever use for a two-sided soapbar phone.
Looking at the prototype, it looks like the eink screen might be a viable, scrollable clipboard fed ith clippings from the LCD side.
That might justify both the patent and the device right there.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-31-2012 at 01:42 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i read the claims etc. there is nothing new in the how from any of a myriad of dual screen devices besides them being back to back.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
There are lots of companies named Ample. One of them might sue you.
I have also filed for a patent on filing lawsuits. I will, of course, refuse to license anyone to sue me.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote