Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Doc333
Doc333 began at the beginning.

Device: PS300
Angry Am I an idiot or is there a problem

Guys/gals

A couple of months ago I bought a new PC and had everything transferred over. I also put Calibre on and have to say that it's a great piece of kit and had no problems since. I mention the new PC just in case this is part of the latest problem.

Have downloaded plenty of books from various places and last night I purchased a few books from WH Smith. (This is the first time on this PC) I've used them before, but last night I had real issues. The download came as a URL LInk, and the last time I used this it was just a case of clicking on the link and the book then moved into my library. Last night the link couldn't be opened and it said it was either a broken link or something. I tried again with the next download and got the same message.

After scratching my head for a while, I thought it must be something to do with digital editions, so decided to download the latest release. This only caused my existing digital editions to open. Still couldn't do anything with the downloaded link though. My digital editions is authorised, so don't know what else to do.

I emailed WHS to inform them that I couldn't open the links and had still got my newly purchased books sitting on their system so either refund me or help me sort it out etc. I'm not expecting a reply any time soon, so thought I would seek a bit of advice from the people who really know, ie you lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The normal route to market when downloading goes like this, for me. Download, click link and book in pdf form goes into my library. Open calibre and click add and my library opens, click on the new book and it goes into calibre for me to use metadata etc. Could it be that the URL Link has gone somewhere else on my system and the link I've been trying to open is goosed and I'm assuming that it has just been downloaded
Doc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
This has happened to me a couple of times when borrowing books from the library. After trying to open the links a number of times, I googled the error messages - which only showed up after several attempts - and it seemed that there was a problem with the library's server or with Overdrive's. I decided to give it some time and download the books a couple of hours later; this time I was successful. So, it could be that your problem is similar and that perhaps WHS is experiencing some trouble with their server. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for your books to be available to you!
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
Doc333

Thanks Red, I'll try again tonight and see if this is the problem
Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Doc333

Well I can't say I'm surprised but it looks like the problem is my end. WHS as expected haven't replied to last nights 2 emails. So much for customer service.

I tried to download again tonight hoping that it would work, as ReD thought may be the case, but sadly no. So, where do I go next?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
In order for content to be portable across your devices, you must have all of your devices authorized to the same AdobeID, so one possible scenario is that your new computer is not authorized to the same AdobeID as your old computer (and presumably your Sony Reader).

The easiest way I know of checking this In ADE you select "Authorize Computer" from your Library menu it will either
1.) Bring up a Dialog showing you the AdobeID that you are authorized to or
2.) Start to try to Authorize your computer (if it does this, stop and don't do it yet).

If the AdobeIDs match then you have a different problem.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Doc333

Jim, ReD et al, here's the latest episode.

had a techy in tonight because nobody could find out what the problem is. The URL links wouldn't save so we finished up having to open them with ADE. Yes they go straight into ADE, but then the next problem kicks in.

I use calibre and now cannot fathom a way of exporting the books from ADE into Calibre. I thought I'd try and be smart and plug my reader into the pc whilst having ADE open. If it connected I thought I'd drag the books onto the reader and reverse the exercise onto Calibre. No way was ADE having any truck.

So any ideas please
Old 09-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you're running windows xp, I believe if you dowload a book directly with ADE it stores it in a folder in the "My Documents" folder. You can find the book (epub file) in that folder and drag it anywhere you want. I'm not familiar with the other flavors of Windows but they might also have a My Documents folder as well.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Doc333

MerLock many thanks. They used to go to my books library, but as I'm on Windows 7 i searched in the windows explorer, found my documents, adobe digital edition and hey presto. Click on a book and it goes straight into calibre.

Once again may thanks