Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
MarcusStringer
MarcusStringer began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Hi from Australia

Hi Guys,
I just found this forum, in my travels through the Internets.
I am getting further and further into the eBook world... sometime drowning in the various formatting and devices...

Secretly wishing from a world standard on file formats and which all readers must adhere to.

Looking forward to trolling through all these posts while slowly expanding my brian until it explodes.

Marcus Stringer
Midland Typesetters
Australia
MarcusStringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello Marcus and welcome to MobileRead.

There are tons of free books here available for download here, beautifully formatted by our own members. Look up and click on the "Ebooks" tab. You don't even need a device to read them. Just your computer.

We've lots of other members from Australia here.....don't hesitate to ask questions, and enjoy. But.....watch out for the "other" Marc.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Marcus!

We're all hoping for that one miracle format!

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
snowy
snowy began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Hi I'm also an Aussie & new to both this site & Sony e-reader. Getting very frustrated that I can't buy books as one has to have an American address. I emailed them to find out if there was some place I could get books only to be directed to the free book sites!!!!Boo-Hoo
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
MarcusStringer

Yes I have also come across that in my investigations....

There are alot of publishers over here who are still a little tentative about branching into the eBook market. Because it is an internet minefield, to try and source websites which will handle customers from outside the US...

I can imagine there is a great deal of people banging their heads against the wall...

I know I was... when all I heard about was Kindle, Kindle, Kindle... when I went to buy one so I could test various devices... They don't sell outside of the US....

It's a vicious circle... which hopefully .ePub will sort out... But from what I've read it will all come down to how the DRM is handled...

BTW - thanks for kind intros Kaz and Desertgrandma...

Marcus Stringer
Midland Typesetters
Australia.
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hi Marcus Welcome!

Yup, I get the frustration. It's possible to find ebooks, but often difficult to find something specific. Although - a lot of Aussie libraries seem to be getting on board with ebooks via Overdrive... so you might find that a particular ebook's available from your library and nowhere else

Welcome to snowy too!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusStringer View Post
Y

I know I was... when all I heard about was Kindle, Kindle, Kindle... when I went to buy one so I could test various devices... They don't sell outside of the US....

BTW - thanks for kind intros Kaz and Desertgrandma...

Marcus Stringer
Midland Typesetters
Australia.
It is still possible to get a Kindle and books from Amazon and other places......I believe Nohmi is from Australia, and has done it, as well as other people outside the US. The trick, as I understand, is in using gift cards instead of a US based bank account.

Would just depend on how much you want the device and access to Amazon.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
MarcusStringer

Yeah...ebay and all the hoopla that entails... gift cards what a hassle... Amazon in my mind is probably the biggest known supplier of books etc online...

It simply floored me when I could get the Kindle device after that's all I was hearing about, I naturally assumed it could be easily obtained here in Australia...

How naive was I...(that's a rhetorical question)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

We've lots of other members from Australia here.....don't hesitate to ask questions, and enjoy. But.....watch out for the "other" Marc.
She's a lovely old dear, our desertgrandma (DGMa) is, but I swear the poor old dear likes her shandy a tad too much. Sweet thing.

RUN AWAY!

G'day Marcus. I'm perfectly harmless, as regular beatings from DGma with her walking frame can attest. I'm even a generous little sausage, being MobileRead's official "I'll put it on my tab" barman. Can I get you a drink?

Cheers,
Marc [choking back evil laugh]
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR, Marcus!

I should warn you that if you're going to accept Marc's offer of a drink, you might want to be sitting down...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Welcome! There are workarounds just about everything which doesn't allow Aussies to buy ebooks from various retailers ... it's just hunting down the particulars for various websites and then implementing them that's a pain in the rear end. Or -- a challenge! (Which is how I chose to look at it, for sanity's sake...)
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
MarcusStringer

Thanks for all the warm welcomes peoples...

Marc -- I'll accept that drink...although being a Queenslander, hey, bro, yeah...

Marcus Stringer
Midland Typesetters
Australia
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'Day Marcus and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
MarcusStringer

haha...Thanks mate... do you and Kazbates know each other?

I know a couple of people from Virginia...they work at the Pepsi Plant...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusStringer View Post
Thanks for all the warm welcomes peoples...

Marc -- I'll accept that drink...although being a Queenslander, hey, bro, yeah...
Hey, mate, stop talking so fast!

Cheers,
Marc (who is actually, like most in Noosa, a "refugee" from the south, Sydney in my case)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote