Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Problems with Adobe Digital Editions Format

I have down loaded a couple of books from Books On Board using the Adobe Digital Editions format. I then import the book into my 700 using the ADE reader. The problem is the formatting is horrible. The font is microscopic and when I enlarge it I run into all kinds of problems, like sentence breaks in the middle of a word, page breaks in the middle of a sentence etc.

Is everybody having the same experience? or is there something I should be doing I'm not aware of?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not a problem with the format. It's a problem with those specific books.

Anyway, which books are they and are you able to strip the DRM? Can you take photos for us to see?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like they're PDF books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did not strip the DRM, the books involved were Dennis Lehane's "Darkness take my Hand" and "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", Agatha Christie with the black crow on the cover.

Also, on further reflection "Darkness take my Hand" was bought from Diesel Books. With Darkness... I did not get the sentence breaks in the middle of words but the page breaks are bad in both cases the formats were listed as ADE.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Same here Kovid. I use a 505, should I avoid the PDF format? If so what is the alternative?
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sounds like they're PDF books.
You are correct. BooksOnBoard sells PDF as Adobe Digital Editions which is totally stupid since ADE is a program, not a format. Next time you purchase from BooksOnBoard, make sure what you get is ePub. You don't want PDF. The only thing you can do is see if those eBooks have ePub versions and then ask BooksOnBoard if you can swap for the ePub since you bought PDF in error. Otherwise, you are stuck with them.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
Same here Kovid. I use a 505, should I avoid the PDF format? If so what is the alternative?
ePub from BooksOnBoard and not PDF.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Books on Board says that some publishers sell Adobe ePub ebooks as "Adobe Digital Editions", but in my experience an ebook identified as "Adobe Digital Editions" is always a PDF. If there is an Adobe ePub version, then buy that instead. A PDF sold as an ebook should reflow (which is what the Sony is trying to do), so if you get weird sentence breaks I suggest returned this ebook for sub-standard formating. However, the way mobile ADE (e.g. on the Sony) works on PDFs is that it reflows one page at a time. So there is nothing you can do about partial screens of text at the end of each original page.

If you remove the DRM, Calibre can convert it from PDF to ePub or LRF but conversion from PDF is very hit and miss. There are other converters that can work better than Calibre in particular cases.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Thanks JSWolf and Wallcraft, that clarifies things for me. I'm presently reading Le Carre's latest and it is very difficult to follow the flow with page and word breaks, also the breaks between individuals sentences are non-existent.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Thanks Gentlemen - case solved, I downloaded a book using the Adobe epub rather than ADE format and no problems with the formatting.

Now, If I could strip the DRM so I could load it into Calibre library and create my own tags