Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #61
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
BTW, the book I bought (Chabon's Telegraph Avenue) was $9.xx yesterday, and is $13.xx today. It was not available in Canada at the time. Amazon, yesterday, was charging $16.xx for the kindle edition in the states.
Were those prices for the same edition? I first noticed the 'enhanced' edition was $12.99 on Amazon but then saw that the regular edition is $9.99 (US prices).
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #62
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
I have my family's cabin in the US listed as my address for BOB--any US address will do. I buy in US currency, and check out using the Google wallet option, as their regular cart says that the address must match the address on my credit card. I had Hot Spot Shield tuned on when I bought a book from them yesterday, but I am not sure you have to actually do that.

BTW, the book I bought (Chabon's Telegraph Avenue) was $9.xx yesterday, and is $13.xx today. It was not available in Canada at the time. Amazon, yesterday, was charging $16.xx for the kindle edition in the states.
Odd, when you search for it, the book shows as $17.99. Click on it and it drops to $9.99. From my POV, it hasn't gone back up yet. If you appear to be in the US, it should still be $9.99. Strange.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #63
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I have my family's cabin in the US listed as my address for BOB--any US address will do. I buy in US currency, and check out using the Google wallet option, as their regular cart says that the address must match the address on my credit card. I had Hot Spot Shield tuned on when I bought a book from them yesterday, but I am not sure you have to actually do that.

Thanks for replying. You're right that the price changed overnight, and in any case I found it too tiring to jump through a dozen hoops to disguise my identity and didn't make the purchase. And they wonder why people pirate.

FYI American customers, Barnes & Noble is still selling it for $9.99.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
It's still $9.99 in the US as far as I am seeing. What am I missing here?
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #65
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Good news! I purchased 8 titles from Diana Wynne Jones's backlist from BoB last night.

I am happy now.

(Although I wonder why the H-E-double-toothpicks Howl's Moving Castle isn't available as an ebook yet)
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #66
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Odd, when you search for it, the book shows as $17.99. Click on it and it drops to $9.99. From my POV, it hasn't gone back up yet. If you appear to be in the US, it should still be $9.99. Strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Thanks for replying. You're right that the price changed overnight, and in any case I found it too tiring to jump through a dozen hoops to disguise my identity and didn't make the purchase. And they wonder why people pirate.

FYI American customers, Barnes & Noble is still selling it for $9.99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
It's still $9.99 in the US as far as I am seeing. What am I missing here?
Amazon often doesn't list the discounted price it's going to use until the book is actually released; pre-order prices tend to be higher. This book was only released on the 11th, so there may be an issue related to that.

(If you look at some of the old "e-book is higher than p-book" threads, the comparison usually involved a book not actually available for sale yet. Not always, of course...)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #67
The Other Pilot
Ed Baldwin
The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Restraint of trade settlement

The reason we're seeing a change in pricing of ebooks is because of a recent suit filed by the FTC against most of the big publishers for price fixing. They claimed to have the right to set the ebook price of a book rather than letting Amazon or some other retailer set it. They were joined by the lawyers of The Author's Guild in claiming that Amazon's pricing of Kindle books is bad for the industry. The judge scoffed at that idea in a preliminary ruling, saying that lower prices are good for customers.

This is a complex legal issue, and it isn't over yet. What we're seeing is publishers scrambling to avoid the appearance of price fixing. The irony is the position The Author's Guild has taken. I used to pay dues to them, and noticed years ago that they seemed to be in the pocket of the publishing industry. It's pretty clear now which side they're on.

It's going to sort out to be the A list writers who remain under the thumb of Big Pub, and B list writers who self publish or work through small presses. We writers will probably move back and forth between those two competing industries. I would not buy stock in Random House.

Ed Baldwin
The Other Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Pilot View Post
The reason we're seeing a change in pricing of ebooks is because of a recent suit filed by the FTC against most of the big publishers for price fixing. They claimed to have the right to set the ebook price of a book rather than letting Amazon or some other retailer set it. They were joined by the lawyers of The Author's Guild in claiming that Amazon's pricing of Kindle books is bad for the industry. The judge scoffed at that idea in a preliminary ruling, saying that lower prices are good for customers.

Inconceivable!

Welcome to MR.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Inconceivable!

Welcome to MR.
The Sicilian is dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #70
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Did something happen with the Penguin US prices today? I checked one ebook from BOB this morning and it was $7.99. Tonight it was $5.99
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #71
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Did something happen with the Penguin US prices today? I checked one ebook from BOB this morning and it was $7.99. Tonight it was $5.99
Check more than 1 book - it might just be a regular "sale" from Penguin. Does it still say "publisher sets the price" on the Amazon page?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #72
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Yes. It's a new release from Penguin US, which I've never seen discounted since agency pricing.

BOB Store

Kindle store
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #73
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hmm, must be a Canadian thing. They're not discounted in the US, and Amazon says it's a price set by publisher.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #74
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Pilot View Post
I used to pay dues to them, and noticed years ago that they seemed to be in the pocket of the publishing industry. It's pretty clear now which side they're on.
I've read statements like this before from authors. I'm curious. Why is it not to the author's benefit to have higher book prices across the board?

If the numbers released by the various industry followers are correct, sales of ebooks have been rising at a tremendous rate, even with agency pricing in effect. And as bookbuyers become accustomed to paying a higher price for a book, there is less complaining about the price. This is what has allowed the prices of pbooks to rise over the years. Otherwise, we would still be paying 25 cents for a paperback and $3 for a hardcover (in the new market not the secondhand market).

How does the Guild's position in favor of agency pricing and anti-Amazon (or Google) monopoly hurt authors?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #75
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
As regards the discounting since the settlement, I have found myself unimpressed with the newfound price competition. Does a discount of 40 cents (from $7.99 to $7.59) or even of $1 ($7.99 to $6.99) really affect a buy-not buy decision? I suppose if I was going to buy at one time 40 books, saving a $1 on each book might influence me, but most bookbuyers buy 1 or 2 books at a time.

In the absence of major discounting, such as from $7.99 to $3.99, how likely is it that the settlement will have a real effect on our buying habits?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote