Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
RMSDK-based viewer for Linux

This is a follow-up to my previous enquiry.

I'm looking for a good RMSDK-based epub viewer. Most suggestions I've seen seem to veer toward either ADE or Sony. But neither is available for Linux.

Any good suggestions?

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I don't think there's a Linux-compatible RS out there that uses RMSDK. I've heard that people have had success with ADE on Wine though.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I don't think there's a Linux-compatible RS out there that uses RMSDK.
I'm thick this morning... What do RS and RMSDK stand for, in this context? All I can think of is RadioShack...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I'm thick this morning... What do RS and RMSDK stand for, in this context? All I can think of is RadioShack...
Reading System: "A combination of hardware and/or software that accepts OPS Publications (likely packaged in an OCF Container) and makes them available to consumers of the content."

In other words, your epub-reading hardware/software.

RMSDK: Reader Mobile Software Development Kit. Adobe's middleware for producing RS's. Also known as "the Adobe Digital Editions engine".
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Thank you, Valloric... So if we want it to be RMSDK based, it has to be an ADE-enabled reader, right? So, Sony, Kobo, and hanlin/Jinke models come to mind. Sony is expensive, Kobo has that sqlite database without on-device db management (epubs deleted from the filesystem are not cleaned out of the database, so it gets confused when you put a new version of the same file back on... not good for testing epub versions).

Which sort of leaves Astak and Endless Ideas as vendors of choice -- off the top of my head - there are others. The Hanlins allow loading of your choice of system font, too, which is nice if you need more Unicode support :-)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Thank you, Valloric... So if we want it to be RMSDK based, it has to be an ADE-enabled reader, right?
Hey, I'd like the answer to that, too. Being an SDK, I suppose technically it could be implemented in any software (the way Google Chrome, Calibre's viewer and KDE's Konquerer all implement WebKit) with ADE just being Adobe's implementation of its own SDK. However, I have no idea what Apple's licensing requirements are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valloric
I've heard that people have had success with ADE on Wine though.
Yeah, I've run across tutorials on how to get it running under Wine. It's not that the instructions are intimidating, just at the moment more hassle than they're worth to me.

I guess for now I'll just continue formatting for WebKit. I'll just have to depend on Elizabeth Castro's EPUB - Straight to the Point and the ADE sticky thread in the Epub forum here to get me around the ADE idiosyncracies.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
However, I have no idea what Apple's licensing requirements are.
I've heard that a license for RMSDK is ~$50k. So not something for the faint of heart.