Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
"Errors" Purchasing Books from Kobo

Honestly, Kobo has begun to really piss me off these days. I'm a chapters employee who often has lots of good things to say about Kobo, but enough is enough as of today.

I got a chapters giftcard for christmas and went to kobobooks.com to purchase three books using the $20 I got on the gift card, store credit from their last mess up, and a couple dollars off the credit card assigned to Kobo.

During the first purchase I had errors crop up, but I went to the library and it showed up in my library. So I did the last two books same thing, though the third took a couple hours to show up. I didn't get the emailed receipts for them but everything was charged appropriately. I downloaded the books to my computer since things were going wonky to be sure I had access to all of them. (Although the third didn't show in library, it allowed me to download the adobe drm epub).

I emailed them about this problem and they emailed me saying they had no record of the purchases. I did screen shots proving I had them in my library, and told them I hadn't received any email receipts. Now I go to make another purchase today, and see my store credit was returned to me, and that the three books have been removed from my account entirely. Only, I've now lost out on the $20 from my giftcard and the $2.15 on my credit card.

I still have access to the books and so technically still paid for them properly, it's ridiculous for them to have removed them entirely from my account when I paid for them.

So I purchased another book today, got the same error, used the store credit that had been refunded and was able to download the adobe DRM epub, but it's again not in my library. I'm beginning to wonder if the store credit will continue to return..

But this is bloody ridiculous.. I shouldn't have to download to ensure I get to keep the books I purchased.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have emailed them about it, not that my last dealing with them did any good and wound up with a pissed off email to them for the first time.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
ciscopixie
Enthusiast
ciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPhone SE
Hi Jesslynne,

If you've purchased these books, did you get a receipt from Kobo? (I've never purchased off their site so I'm pulling at straws - but trying to help )

I know on Amazon's site you get a receipt for every book you purchase, so maybe it would be the same with Kobo?

Ashley
ciscopixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another avenue of contacting them is through https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo

I know some have gotten better results that way instead of email. I've heard calling gets the best results.

You can also try emailing KoboExecutiveCare@kobo.com

or try finding email addresses for some of the Kobo exec's although I did that once and didn't get any better service even though they were going to 'look into it'.

Kobo CS for me has been hit or miss, generally miss.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Jesslynne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopixie View Post
Hi Jesslynne,

If you've purchased these books, did you get a receipt from Kobo? (I've never purchased off their site so I'm pulling at straws - but trying to help )

I know on Amazon's site you get a receipt for every book you purchase, so maybe it would be the same with Kobo?

Ashley
As stated in my OP, that I didn't get emailed receipts to confirm the purchase due to the errors. It didn't actually get to that point but still charged the gift card and my Credit card.

I have emailed them again, but I may email the executive care email if they email me back a useless email in return to this last email.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I had some problems it's them over Xmas myself, but only with redeeming gift cards which I'd been given, when I logged in to redeem them it went straight to an error page, their support "helpfully" told me not to use IE, which didn't help much on a mac...

Strangely soon afterwards it did start working again though, coincidence or what?
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Their Touch, Glo and Mini development team are obviously doing the "development" of the website now.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
Their Touch, Glo and Mini development team are obviously doing the "development" of the website now.
I guess that's why every search I do comes back with erotica...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I bought a book with a gift card. So far so good. Downloaded it to ADE and added it to Calibre, but it won't come on my Kobo with WiFi sync. The ADE epub is terrible, won't let me change the way too narrow line spacing (even after converting it with Calibre). But it seems that I have to live with that. I am not going to try WiFi sync again as I don't want to downgrade the firmware every time I try.

I bought two other books the same day, with no problems.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I've bought 41 books over the past week, thanks to gift cards and boxing day sales. I had a problem with one, not being able to download it to ADE, although it does show on my reader. Waiting for a response from Tier 2. But.. all the other purchases went just fine. And now I have TONS of reading to do.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Jesslynne
Zealot

The problem is, it gives me errors, but still charges the card, and gives me access to download to ADE , and later ends up in my library some hours later. But it doesn't give me a receipt or put it in my purchase history as being purchased.

So I had emailed them about the problem and they removed the books and didn't refund me my money.

I have now emailed the Kobo Executive Care email, so we'll see how that turns out. Because the kobo support email people seem to not want to respond to me.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Jesslynne, I had a problem when I purchased a book from the Kobo store this morning on my Glo. I got an error page and the book didn't show up in my library. But when I got an email receipt a few minutes later, I tried syncing my reader, and the missing book showed up instantly.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote