Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #46
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
Exactly...the Arc is the first tablet built for ereading.
how is the nexus, or any other tablet for that matter, not made for ereading? or if you prefer, how does the arc make itself a better ereader over other tablets running the kobo software?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #47
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I like the Kobo Glo.
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #48
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
how is the nexus, or any other tablet for that matter, not made for ereading? or if you prefer, how does the arc make itself a better ereader over other tablets running the kobo software?
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ew-of-the-kobo
I think it is really about the display.. I am not a teckie but do know I don' t like reading for long on my IPad
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I think it is really about the display..
Looks to me like the display specs are the same as the Nexus 7.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #50
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ew-of-the-kobo
I think it is really about the display.. I am not a teckie but do know I don' t like reading for long on my IPad
I'll go take a look at the article in a moment, but the display on the nexus, the arc and even the firehd 7" all have the same resolution/DPI IPS displays. The higher res/DPI of the 8" firehd is even more impressive, but still not as nice as the iPad 3.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #51
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I'll go take a look at the article in a moment, but the display on the nexus, the arc and even the firehd 7" all have the same resolution/DPI IPS displays. The higher res/DPI of the 8" firehd is even more impressive, but still not as nice as the iPad 3.
Even if the Fire and Arc have the same display, wouldn't the Arc make a better tab/reader here in Canada with its access to Google Play? Why buy a Fire if you can't do anything but download books?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #52
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Even if the Fire and Arc have the same display, wouldn't the Arc make a better tab/reader here in Canada with its access to Google Play? Why buy a Fire if you can't do anything but download books?
quite possibly, depending on how they implement; Reading the article there definitely some really interesting things that Kobo plan to introduce (and could introduce into the vox or their regular android app, if they were so inclined).

However, one of the reasons I personally went with the galaxy nexus, was the fact it was a vanilla android operating system. The reason this was important to me was that it meant that there was nothing running in the background apart from the essential system apps. The problem with the vox, arc, fire and the like is that there are plenty of "partner" apps in the background using up precious Ram and cpu cycles (I know they are usually dormant, but they do poll the system once in a while), and cannot be stopped or uninstalled without rooting your machine.

When I look at the app that's currently on the Vox vs what's in the android app store, i don't see anything that would make the Vox a better reading experience. both provide me with my library and both allow me to read with relative clarity, in proper lighting conditions. They both provide access to the kobo store and they both provide previews based on my reading habits. they both track stats, and they both have pulse. Of course the negative experience on the vox is the fact that it's slow and non responsive much of the time, and this is partially due to hardware specs, and partially due to layers to the OS they added to make it theirs and their partners machines.

Despite the hardware specs, will the added layers they are adding to the Arc going to cause the same type of issues? we won't know that until it's out. I'd really like to believe they won't, but layers usually always muck things up.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #53
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Exactly...the Arc is the first tablet built for ereading.
Er, no. There have been plenty of tablets meant specifically for ereading, long before even the Vox.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #54
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I'm disappointed in the lack of Bluetooth. Granted an ereader doesn't need such. Nevertheless there's some experimenting I want to do with such.

Lack of a micro SD card slot is secondary but also somewhat disappointing.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #55
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Psyke
Ok, I get it. I had pretty much decided to go for the Vox over the new Sony because I wanted a more interactive reading experience that would be similar to the functionality of my IPad but smaller to carry everywhere with me. I had never really considered the Nexus because I thought it might not be easy on the eyes and be more than I wanted to pay. Anyway, seems like no more Vox so am maybe I should add Nexus to the mix then choose.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #56
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Er, no. There have been plenty of tablets meant specifically for ereading, long before even the Vox.
I think what the review means is that the others are just cheap tabs that can also be used as reader whereas Arc is a reader first. Check out the article I linked before and see what you think.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #57
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I'm disappointed in the lack of Bluetooth. Granted an ereader doesn't need such. Nevertheless there's some experimenting I want to do with such.

Lack of a micro SD card slot is secondary but also somewhat disappointing.
actually, as a media device, Bluetooth should be something that is standard, particularly for high quality wireless headphone.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #58
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Psyke
Ok, I get it. I had pretty much decided to go for the Vox over the new Sony because I wanted a more interactive reading experience that would be similar to the functionality of my IPad but smaller to carry everywhere with me. I had never really considered the Nexus because I thought it might not be easy on the eyes and be more than I wanted to pay. Anyway, seems like no more Vox so am maybe I should add Nexus to the mix then choose.
I'd definitely stay away from the Vox; it's underpowered for what they wanted to do with it and not worth it. We got one for my 11 year old last Christmas, and I'm already planning on getting her something much better to make up for it (thinking of a Note 10.1 as she's getting into drawing and art, and it may be good for school too). As for the Arc, it really doesn't sound that bad once you look at a couple of hands on impressions and a layout of the complete specs. my suggestion would be to wait until the newest tablets get released and go to town with some hands on play at Chapters, BestBuy and the like and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #59
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
actually, as a media device, Bluetooth should be something that is standard, particularly for high quality wireless headphone.
What would you suggest for high quality Bluetooth headphones? Preferably available on Ebay?
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #60
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
What would you suggest for high quality Bluetooth headphones? Preferably available on Ebay?
Personally, I don't use them (I use BT more for streaming to my car stereo; earphones were the first thing that came to mind when I saw BT ), but I do have a colleague at work who has a pair he swears by; I'll ask him about them and get back to you.