Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
akin
akin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Remove 'recommended just for you'

..is that possible? I would like to keep the three latest opened books though.
akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Not possible unless you root the Vox.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
akin
akin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
That's a shame.

Thank you for your answer!
akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Not possible unless you root the Vox.
Wrong!

You do not need to have your Vox rooted in order to "remove" the useless 'recommended just for you' section. You must have a 3rd party launcher installed, which does not require the unit to be rooted, and then follow the steps outlined in this post.

Hope that helps
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If you only want the latest open book (singular, not plural) then the Kobo (Large) widget also works.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Why do you want to remove this? I've had some fabulous books recommended to me recently! It's spot on now, and I've really taken advantage of it!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

There are various reasons why people would want to get rid of recommendations.

The big thing for me is that I use my tablet with children and some of the recommendations aren't exactly appropriate for them. A good example is Fifty Shades of Grey, which doesn't sound child friendly. I'm not even certain why that one pops up. The only books I grabbed from Kobo are The Hunger Games Trilogy and Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea, and my browsing habits are along similar lines. Someone else mentioned a similar issue.

Another thing is that some people, myself included, are adverse to advertising. We are so often bomboarded by advertising that it is nice to get away from it from time to time. Or we don't want advertisers manipulating our buying habits. Even though it isn't a huge issue with book recommendations, sometimes advertising is offensive.

Oh, and sometimes it is just ugly. Seriously. I've seen a couple of titles from indies (at least I hope they were indies!) with covers that were so poorly designed that I felt like vomitting. I know that you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes it's nice to be surrounded by stuff that looks nice.

Now I'm not suggesting that Kobo should remove this feature because some people love it. I even understand why they love it, but it simply isn't the sort of thing that everyone appreciates. So it would be nice if Kobo let people who want to turn it off actually do so.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
So it would be nice if Kobo let people who want to turn it off actually do so.
I agree with this. It is more that they FORCE me to see the recommendations than the recommendations themselves. If they gave me the OPTION of turning it off I would have to stop complaining and maybe I would turn it back on at some point. If I have to find a way to force it off I will never turn it back on.

Larry Mohr
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote