Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #316
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I've said this before, but the only known fix is changing/swaping serial numbers with a kindle 3.
i've searched the net for guidelines on how to change serial number and can't find any information
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #317
dusty hope
dusty hope began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Says somewhere I have to jailbreak 2.5.8 dxi before using upgrade. But when I try it the B005 bin file, kicks me out with the unsuccessful, this using .06 and .07 jailbreak update bins. Any suggestions?
dusty hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #318
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well i finally installed the new firmware on my dxg the other night. thought id provide some feedback.

the process: i used the pre compile image from piratebay. the first time i tried the initial step on the client it got stuck 'Vcreating image' for over 2 hours and i had to reset my kindle. i think the problem was my usb cord was still attached to kindle as it worked fine the second time. the proceeding steps worked fine.

the update: seems very stable so far and almost seems a bit faster than the native 2.5.8! amazon have no excuses for not rolling these updates across all its kindles and are clearly engaging in dodgy marketing activities to boost sales of newer models.

some issues i have noticed already:

1 power up after sleep is very slow...over 20 seconds...please fix this if you can
2 i can confirm all my active content is missing and not functioning.
3 tabel of contents on pdfs dont work..this was one of the main reasons for my trying the new firmware
4 the browser can take a long time to fire up

apart from the above im impressed how well this firmware behaves on the dxg
Old 08-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #319
max99
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
well i finally installed the new firmware on my dxg the other night. thought id provide some feedback.

the process: i used the pre compile image from piratebay. the first time i tried the initial step on the client it got stuck 'Vcreating image' for over 2 hours and i had to reset my kindle. i think the problem was my usb cord was still attached to kindle as it worked fine the second time. the proceeding steps worked fine.

the update: seems very stable so far and almost seems a bit faster than the native 2.5.8! amazon have no excuses for not rolling these updates across all its kindles and are clearly engaging in dodgy marketing activities to boost sales of newer models.

some issues i have noticed already:

1 power up after sleep is very slow...over 20 seconds...please fix this if you can
2 i can confirm all my active content is missing and not functioning.
3 tabel of contents on pdfs dont work..this was one of the main reasons for my trying the new firmware
4 the browser can take a long time to fire up

apart from the above im impressed how well this firmware behaves on the dxg
update...the browser will sometime fail to load and can take over a minute to boot up! starting to consider going back to 2.5.8 as the bugs are getting in the way of the benefits after a few days use.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #320
max99
Addict

after more experimentation with 3.2.1 on my DXG i've discovered a good work around to the slow wake issue....

1. disable the screensaver via ;debugOn ~disableScreensaver
[this never used to work on DXG or Kindle 2 but does under 3.2.1]

2. manually power off by holding the power slider for 5 seconds...kindle will go blank

3. flick the slider to power on again...my kindle then comes to life after only 4 seconds!

as well as avoiding the slow wake ups, this setup gives me the advantage of having my kindle on all day when i need it without those annoying screensaver timeouts (i was using a hack to delay them anyway). i seldom have 3g on so battery drain is minimal. if i know i wont be using it for a few hours i just power it down fully.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #321
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I'm trying to run the prepare update in a Kindle DXG and have some problem copying the .bin the in the root of the Kindle. But apparently it does. But when I try to run the file, the update process begin and then I get an error code U002. Anyone knows why? Any idea?

Last edited by thebestjeter; 08-24-2011 at 11:05 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #322
yangwenli
yangwenli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
after more experimentation with 3.2.1 on my DXG i've discovered a good work around to the slow wake issue....

1. disable the screensaver via ;debugOn ~disableScreensaver
[this never used to work on DXG or Kindle 2 but does under 3.2.1]

2. manually power off by holding the power slider for 5 seconds...kindle will go blank

3. flick the slider to power on again...my kindle then comes to life after only 4 seconds!

as well as avoiding the slow wake ups, this setup gives me the advantage of having my kindle on all day when i need it without those annoying screensaver timeouts (i was using a hack to delay them anyway). i seldom have 3g on so battery drain is minimal. if i know i wont be using it for a few hours i just power it down fully.
I use Kaffeine to keep dxg awake, so it resumes in less than a second.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146639
yangwenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #323
max99
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenli View Post
I use Kaffeine to keep dxg awake, so it resumes in less than a second.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146639
hi, i'm interested in this method, can you explain how it works?

does this allow your kindle to sleep with the current page displayed instead of the screensavers?

regards
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #324
DeeArr
DeeArr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (Int)
I'd love to try this on my DXi but I'd hate to brick it. As long as the uninstall works I'd like to give it a shot.

Regards

Derek
DeeArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #325
Laforet
Laforet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeArr View Post
I'd love to try this on my DXi but I'd hate to brick it. As long as the uninstall works I'd like to give it a shot.

Regards

Derek
Hi, I just flashed this on my white DX international today using my k3gb as the host. It went very smoothly without incident and all my data including collections were left intact in the end

Apart from the known issues (mp3, active content, pdf table of contents, etc) it seems to run exceptionally well. It does take a little longer to wake (4-5 seconds in most cases) but I did not find it to be a problem.

Since the kernel comes with full recovery it actually makes it safer than before when you had limited option to restore if something goes wrong.

Last edited by Laforet; 08-28-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Laforet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #326
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I'm trying to run the prepare update in a Kindle DXG and have some problem copying the .bin the in the root of the Kindle. But apparently it does. But when I try to run the file, the update process begin and then I get an error code U002. Anyone knows why? Any idea?
Jailbreak your kindle first.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #327
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Jailbreak your kindle first.
Thanks. It is jailbroken. But I have found a solution: it was a problem with the .bin file. Apparently, some corruption occurred during the extrat process, so I just try it again and works with no problem.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #328
thebestjeter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty hope View Post
Says somewhere I have to jailbreak 2.5.8 dxi before using upgrade. But when I try it the B005 bin file, kicks me out with the unsuccessful, this using .06 and .07 jailbreak update bins. Any suggestions?
It has to bee "unsuccessful", but the jailbreak is already done. Just try to run the prepare_update. bin and see if it woks.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #329
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Thanks. It is jailbroken. But I have found a solution: it was a problem with the .bin file. Apparently, some corruption occurred during the extrat process, so I just try it again and works with no problem.
glad you sorted it out. Save the image files created with the process in somewhere safe, especially the restore bin. You will need them if you want to go back to 2.5.8
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #330
max99
Addict

update.....

i've now been running 3.2.1 on my dxg for over a week and am glad to say its been solid as a rock.

i'm now considering changing my kindle serial number so i can get active content working again...has anyone tried this?