Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Question Suggestion: Work with multiple databases

Hi,

I have a suggestion / request for a core enhancement.
I would really like to use multiple library's at one time. My reasons:

1. There has been made a clear choice in the structure of the file-location.
No discussion about this to change it.
In my case, all e-books are on a home-server. This server is accessible by FTP. My server is doing a lot of tasks. If a ftp-user gets into my calibre-lib, it takes a long time to display all my 1872 authors, sometimes causing a time-out. If I could have multiple databases in Calibre, I could put my authors in a sub-database on start-letter (A, B, C,...)
2. I have multiple users using both the ftp and the Calibre front-end.
If I had multiple db's, I could give separate access to users (some would only want to have books of a particular language or topic for example).
If I add a book of this type, I want it to be available in this particularly db, but also in compete library.
3. I have a separate computer for work / study. I would like to keep some books on my 2nd computer. If I open my lib, I want to see all my books including study-books on my 2nd-pc.
On the first pc, I want to see only the books on the server (this are the only books available for this pc)
4. In any case I want to search / view all books available for the current pc.

Implementation thoughts:
Scan for available db's on startup. Scan only in predefined directories and their sub-directories.
If a db is not available (for example a laptop that is on travel with only the local part available), only show available db's. If none, show the current warning.

When adding a book, put the book in a predefined db (e.g. Main or Unsorted), a user-predefined db, a rule-based db (author starts with A? Put in db A), or ask the user.

Put Access-rights on db's. It is not very useful to add a password on a db, books are accessible by browsing. But with multiple db's, you could add some restrictions on a db. For example, you could deny users of db x to delete files. If they delete files, It will not be removed from the db, but will be moved to a predefined location / db. Only users that have access to the other db, can really delete books. This will prevent 'digibetics' from removing books accidentally.

Just some thoughts.
Thinking about it is easier than building it, but it would improve my personal usability of Calibre a lot.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate forum.
As noted in the sticky at the top of the development forum, the development forum is not a place to suggest calibre improvements unless you are prepared to do the implementation yourself. If you are so prepared, my apologies, and I will move the post back.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Moved to appropriate forum.As noted in the sticky at the top of the development forum, the development forum is not a place to suggest calibre improvements unless you are prepared to do the implementation yourself. If you are so prepared, my apologies, and I will move the post back.
I'm, prepared to, but this is not a function to do it all by myself, so I think this is a better place. My apologies for placing it over there.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
drMerry
Addict

Does no reply means there is no interest in a function like this?
Or, does it mean I'm not clear enough.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I certainly have no interest in this. The proper fix for multi-user support is having a network backend database, not supporting multiple sqlite databases.

A network backed for calibre is on my TODO list, but nowhere near the top.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
drMerry
Addict

Thank you for this reply.
In my case an important bonus feature of it is to be able to put books in (alphabetical) sorted subfolders, without changing your philosophy of storage.

But since part of my wish is on the todo, and there is no interest in the multiple db support, I will look if I can make a plugin to get some functions near the idea.

I do not have (much|any) time, so it will be a long term project. But I'll report it on the forum if I have a working addon.

Thanks.
can be closed.

Tags
background, database, file location, request, suggestion