Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Sounds like they developed their own!!?!?!?!
No it's the eReader format and the ebook readers are the client rebranded for Barnes and Nobels. I haven't checked to see if eBooks bought from eReader work on B&N but they should work they are the same formant DRM.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If Barnes and Noble comes out with the Plastic Logic Reader that I have seen in the all the You Tube videos I will definitely get one. For me the support of Microsoft Office documents would be worth it. Plus in one of the videos I watched they banged the reader with a shoe to prove how durable it is. I cannot do that with my Kindle or Sony.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadama View Post
The BN bookstore provides files in ePub format. Some are with DRM some are without (on a per publisher basis).
Hm. The article I read specifically said that B&N's ebooks would not work on the Sony or the Kindle.

I'll have to check that out (it wouldn't be the first time an article had it wrong).

EDIT: Checked it out - they only support iPhone/Touch, PC and Mac.

It's the old eReader format, apparently, NOT ePub.

Where did you get your information?

Last edited by khalleron; 07-20-2009 at 07:57 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
So I guess it would make sense for B&N to use the eReader format because they now own it after buying Fictionwise. Does this mean the B&N eBooks work with the eReader iPhone app (which is a separate app).
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Hm. The article I read specifically said that B&N's ebooks would not work on the Sony or the Kindle.

I'll have to check that out (it wouldn't be the first time an article had it wrong).

EDIT: Checked it out - they only support iPhone/Touch, PC and Mac.

It's the old eReader format, apparently, NOT ePub.

Where did you get your information?
The site also says check back later for other supported devices.

Quote:
eBooks, also known as electronic books, are the digital equivalent of printed books. Barnes & Noble eBooks can be read on the iPhone/iTouch, Blackberry, or PC and Mac computers. Please check back for an expanded list of other supported devices.
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Plastic Logic news is old, see Plastic Logic Announces First Content Partners for its eReader and eCommerce Content Store; 9 Feb 2009:
Quote:
Today, Plastic Logic is also announcing that a central part of Plastic Logic’s online store is its partnership with Fictionwise Inc. to create and run the econtent store. Fictionwise is the leading independent econtent retailer on the web.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I don't think it can be seen quite that way. N-one except Amazon can create the Kindle format. That's why there is a big debacle about Amazon converting PD books to Kindle format, allowing them to be sold, then pulling the books from the Kindles.
Actually, this is slightly incorrect.

You can create .mobi and .azw files via many means. For example, Stanza for Mac can export as a dozen file types including .azw and .mobi

Pretty much anyone can submit a file to Amazon for sale on their site; I may be wrong, but only Scribd is as open as Amazon in that respect. Whatever you publish that way is set to whatever price you want, including $0.00.

And as you well know by now, it isn't public domain books that get yanked from Amazon's servers, it's books that violate copyright laws.

Scribd's open nature is not without similar problems, I might add; Scribd is rife with copyright violations and ads disguised as ebooks. They do try to keep things clean, but are clearly far from 100%....

Oh, and a quick edit. I, for one, welcome our new B&N Overlords in the e-book business. The more outlets for e-books, the better things will be for the book industry as a whole.

Last edited by Kali Yuga; 07-20-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
But the big news is that Barnes and Noble are involved. They display the readers in their stores and it is going to bring a lot more interest in the product then just a website.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Oh boy.... this is severely disappointing.
I was pretty excited when I first read the news. But then I downloaded the Mac app and it was just eReader's old app with a slight rebrand. No new features and the same old non-user friendly interface. So that was a bad start.
I then tried downloading a free sample. Nothing downloaded, but it told me to open up the app and it would retrieve my book then. Nope. I couldn't find anything in the app about syncing with B&N or downloading books. I still haven't figured it out.

So now the iPhone app. Once installed, I discovered once again it was a rebranding of eReader's iPhone app. This isn't too bad, as I like eReader's app, but its still a little disconcerting. This time it automatically downloaded my sample (Snow Crash). This is my standard test book for things like this. I was sorely disappointed when Hiro gave his card to YT... it was just centered text - no picture and/or border around the text! (On Kindle his card is as it should be - a picture of his business card)

So it looks like they stuck with eReader files and DRM. I was so hopeful when B&N bought Fictionwise. Once I finished testing out their service, my though was "THIS is their best effort?!"

Another issue with this is how cumbersome eReader DRM is. The average consumer will not want to type in their credit card number for each file if they want to read it on their computer. It is nice we get the option (unlike Kindle), but it needs to be simplified.

Honestly, I feel that this is a big win for Amazon. The prices are not right, the device is months off, and the Mac app (can't speak for the Windows side) is poorly done. I also think Amazon's Kindle app is better formatted, but the dictionary support on B&N is great (something Amazon really should add).

Last edited by lunged; 07-20-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: clarification
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No it's the eReader format and the ebook readers are the client rebranded for Barnes and Nobels. I haven't checked to see if eBooks bought from eReader work on B&N but they should work they are the same formant DRM.

=X=
I have and they do work on the BN EReader
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunged View Post
Oh boy.... this is severely disappointing.
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

So it's reading for everyone... on PC, Mac, Blackberry and iPhone. I don't have a phone I want to read on, and I don't want to read on a computer. I know I'm not alone here. This is not reading for everyone, it's reading for everyone who doesn't want to buy an ebook reader. I was hoping B&N would actually open things up, but instead they've offered a site that's got an even more limited audience.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #27
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Well, at least the B&N device will not have device-specific DRM but be keyed off your credit card number. I think I could live with that a lot better than with Amazon's forever-Kindle policies with the secret PID. Don't know much about Sony. But from what I understand both Amazon and Sony have gone out of their way to cut out other competitors from their devices, so we can't blame B&N for that. Heck if I buy a book on my Kindle 2 that means that unless I want to do the Python-Pokey all I can do is read that book on a Kindle. Now if I buy the same book from B&N I'll be able to read it on my Mac, on my PC, on my iPhone, on my iTouch, on my Palm, on my Blackberry and I think the Cooler reader and a few others also support ereader DRM. You know what? Amazon better wake up or B&N is going to eat their lunch. Had to add -- this also is likely to mean that whatever new device Apple is planning, the books will be compatible there too.

Last edited by Neil; 07-20-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #28
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ok so I am going to ask the evil question, can ereader be stripped of DRM and converted to be used on my SOny? I LOVE B&N and have a membership there. I have been hoping I could buy ebooks from them.
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #29
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CribQuilter View Post
Ok so I am going to ask the evil question, can ereader be stripped of DRM and converted to be used on my SOny? I LOVE B&N and have a membership there. I have been hoping I could buy ebooks from them.
Yes...
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #30
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I have and they do work on the BN EReader
Great! That means we have fw, ereader, and ban to chose from. Right now eReader has the best prices
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote