Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Cool Can e-ink devices display "white on black"?

I have an eye condition that makes reading regular books very difficult. Several years ago, I finally just gave up on reading books.

I can get by on a computer, pumping up the font sizes, and displaying white text on a black background, but after working several hours a day on the computer, reading a book there just doesn't seem very relaxing, feels like more work, and I'm stuck at my desk.

Recently I purchased a used Nokia n770 on eBay (under $100) and put FBReader on it. I can pick the fonts and sizes, and display white (actually, very light blue) on a black background, and that works very well, especially in lower light conditions (great for reading in bed). But in high light areas (outside or near a window), the glare on the screen is very distracting.

Can Kindle be configured to display white text on a black background? Can any of the other e-ink readers?
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post
I have an eye condition that makes reading regular books very difficult. Several years ago, I finally just gave up on reading books.

I can get by on a computer, pumping up the font sizes, and displaying white text on a black background, but after working several hours a day on the computer, reading a book there just doesn't seem very relaxing, feels like more work, and I'm stuck at my desk.

Recently I purchased a used Nokia n770 on eBay (under $100) and put FBReader on it. I can pick the fonts and sizes, and display white (actually, very light blue) on a black background, and that works very well, especially in lower light conditions (great for reading in bed). But in high light areas (outside or near a window), the glare on the screen is very distracting.

Can Kindle be configured to display white text on a black background? Can any of the other e-ink readers?
It can be done with the Sony PRS 500, not sure about the 505. Check out this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=inverse+text
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
e-ink displays