Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The new Galaxy Note should be out in November or so. It's an amazing phone and it works very well as an ereader thanks to its size.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Friend of mine has a Note. I think it's far too big, but he likes it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I just upgraded (from a droidX) to the Samsung G SIII on Verizon and am loving it so far! Love the bigger screen. (the iPhone screen seems tiny by comparison these days).
I agree about screen size. I wouldn't want to go back to a screen of less than 4", after migrating from a 3.2" to a 4.3"-screened phone.

Current iPhone screens are 3.5", with rumors (I think, haven't followed it very closely) of a screen of 4" or more on the iPhone 5.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I don't watch many videos on my phones so a larger screen makes no sense to me.

Right now, my iPhone fits nicely into my ziparound wallet that I like to carry as a clutch sometimes. Anything bigger would be redundant. That's just for myself though.

Personally I love iPhones; but some people do not like being 'locked in'. But the organisation and syncing is something I'm familiar with and I really like. I use Calibre for my Nook and can't imagine not having a program that syncs for my phone.

Dragging and pulling into folders? No thanks.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Just please check before you buy iphone 5 if all the existing docking stations and cables will fit it. I heard it will NOT be the case, forcing you to buy all new stuff to go with it.
I myself recently bought a chinese clone (not of iphone) with Android 4.0, for 1/3 of the price. Works fine (I needed a double sim) Mine has 4,7" screen of very good quality. I wouldn't go back now to a 3,5".
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Just please check before you buy iphone 5 if all the existing docking stations and cables will fit it. I heard it will NOT be the case, forcing you to buy all new stuff to go with it.
Although the iPhone 5 will almost certainly have a smaller docking connector, the word is that there'll be an adapter allowing any older accessory to connect to it.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although the iPhone 5 will almost certainly have a smaller docking connector, the word is that there'll be an adapter allowing any older accessory to connect to it.
Yes, $29.99 probably? That seems to be the "magic" number when it comes to basic apple accessories.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
The OP does sound like he prefers Android, so I would recommend staying with that.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, $29.99 probably? That seems to be the "magic" number when it comes to basic apple accessories.
$9.99 for the adapter, apparently. That seems reasonable enough, and I'm sure there'll soon be cheaper third-party ones on the market.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
$9.99 for the adapter, apparently. That seems reasonable enough, and I'm sure there'll soon be cheaper third-party ones on the market.
$9.99 doesn't sound to bad. I've found that a lot of the third-party stuff doesn't work as well, at least I've had bad luck with iThing cables.

I'm itching for a new phone and at this point it's still going to be the new iPhone or an SIII, can't wait to see what Apple comes out with (even if I don't get one).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
$9.99 doesn't sound to bad. I've found that a lot of the third-party stuff doesn't work as well, at least I've had bad luck with iThing cables.

I'm itching for a new phone and at this point it's still going to be the new iPhone or an SIII, can't wait to see what Apple comes out with (even if I don't get one).
Here is an very interesting article describing the teardown of an iPhone charger, showing that it is a particularly high quality device, and also a particularly high profit margin device. I had no idea that chargers were so complex.

http://www.arcfn.com/2012/05/apple-i...n-quality.html

Here is a similar article concerning a $2.79 no-name charger. Conclusion: dangerous; don't buy:

http://www.arcfn.com/2012/03/inside-...d-why-you.html

I don't think that the lesson is exactly that you get what you pay for; there are probably intermediate priced 3d party chargers from well-known companies like Belkin that are probably at least safe. But at least for electrical components, it's probably best not to go for the cheapest item sold on Ebay.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very interesting info, thanks. I'm not surprised the 'official' charger is a high margin device, that's pretty standard I think when it comes to things like this from most electronics manufacturers.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
$29
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter#overview

$39
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...n-adapter-02-m
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
called it!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, ios, iphone