Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #121
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
One reason is exactly that we already spend hours in front of our PC's or Laptop's displays. I'm one of those who get eye strain and headache if they read for another two, three or four hours on a LED-LCD in the evening. Furthermore i like to read outside (even in direct sun light) which would be difficult with the iPad's display.
Thanks for bringing up the eye strain issue. I think that's the big thing that people are missing about the iPad when they say it's going to be an eReader (or Kindle) killer. I think the iPad will be great for casual readers, photo rich magazines, and folks who love their iPhone/iPods. But for hardcore reading, it'll be tough on the eyes. That said, I still think most people will sacrifice that to get all the extra features offered from the iPad. Time for e-ink technology to get cheaper
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #122
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedicated View Post
Thanks for bringing up the eye strain issue. I think that's the big thing that people are missing about the iPad when they say it's going to be an eReader (or Kindle) killer. I think the iPad will be great for casual readers, photo rich magazines, and folks who love their iPhone/iPods. But for hardcore reading, it'll be tough on the eyes. That said, I still think most people will sacrifice that to get all the extra features offered from the iPad. Time for e-ink technology to get cheaper

Yeah, this isn't a device that's meant to replace e-ink for the avid reader who's reading for hours on end day in and day out.

But that's a pretty small niche. As you note, most people read more casually and an LED screen is fine for reading 30 minutes here, an hour there, everyonce in a while.

Most people aren't avid readers and spend more time watching TV and movies, goofing on the internet, listening to music etc. With reading the occasional book, magazine, newspaper etc. on the side.

This device is catered to them. Apple is after the mainstream. Not the niche of avid readers that e-ink devices cater too. That's a sizable niche, and one that should keep dedicated e-ink readers around. Apple has just not shown any inclination in recent years to create products aimed at niches.

Now it may end up being a niche product. But they're banking on it selling to a bigger market than e-ink readers. Which is why they went that route vs. making a dedicated e-reader.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #123
Erina
Erina began at the beginning.

Device: None
Here in Australia we constantly have problems getting eBooks in right formats due to distribution restrictions etc etc. If the iPad combined with the iBooks site make books and mags as easy as iTunes makes n music then I will be running to the Apple store. I know many people dont like Apples restrictive practices but if its easy, it works and it does what I want then they have me sold.
Erina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #124
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Reading on LCD has never bothered my eyes, actually, though I believe those who say they have a problem with it. Reading on a CRT was more of an issue, perhaps because of the refresh rate, but even there I was able to do so for hours at a time. (I've been working in the computer field for over 20 years.)

I do prefer reading light colored text on a dark background on LCD, however. Hopefully that will be an option on the iPad. (Allowing Stanza to run would be fine for my needs.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #125
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, it seems like it will have different e-reader programs, so I see no reason it wouldn't be easy to change font style, color etc. Pretty sure one of the book programs showed a drop down menu of different fonts in the demo today.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #126
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, it seems like it will have different e-reader programs, so I see no reason it wouldn't be easy to change font style, color etc. Pretty sure one of the book programs showed a drop down menu of different fonts in the demo today.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71495
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote