Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Issues with multiple authors

When you assign multiple authors to a book in calibre, how does it decide which one should be the master (i.e. the one used to name the directory, and the one that comes first in the author sort when automatically set)?

Something that I've noticed occasionally is that when I've imported books and then set two authors the author sort field has them swapped from the author field, i.e. "Jon Doe & Fred Bloggs" would appear as "Bloggs, Fred & Doe, Jon" and it would be in the "Fred Bloggs" folder.
If I then convert the book to another format, I end up with following in the library ...

/Author1/Book (num)/Book - Author1.format1
/Author1/Book (num)/Book - Author2.format2

Resulting in calibre still only thinking there is one format. I can usually get round it by removing the rogue converted file, swapping the authors round and then converting again.

I can't actually reproduce the problem on demand, so I wondered if anyone else is having similar issues, or if it's just me.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The order is determined by the order in which each particular author was first used in Calibre. At that point an internal database id is assigned (with the id incrementing), and the authors are always listed in ascending database id order.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's relatively easy to fix, though; once you reorder the authors to match (and you can have something entirely different for Author Sort) they'll me put in the same directory.

If you know in advance you have the same book in two formats; you can add editionally books via the Edit Metadata window rather than drag and drop.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote