Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #106
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcman123 View Post
... I bought it from Kobo's site so I would expect the format to be ok. ...
I can't tell you how appalled I felt the first time I ran into an issue like, at having paid money for several books with such horrible formatting. Sadly, it probably won't be the last time you run into it either.

It's times like that when I appreciate the people even more that give us great free software like Sigil and Calibre to correct the problems publishers and lack of proofing give us.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #107
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Poop. The preview shows so little as to be useless

Except... in the Kobo Desktop I see the same issue on the "In Gratitude" page.

The first paragraph
Quote:
Although this book lists only one author, in reality the ideas it molds together were contributed and refined by many extraordinarily insightful and selfless colleagues.
is in a small font, and the second one
Quote:
I am similarly indebted to the many executives and employees of companies in the disk drive industry who opened their memories and records to me as I tried to understand what had driven them in the particular courses they had taken.
I'm not overly sure why this is happening though. The 1st paragraph is marked up with <p class="p1"> and the second with just <p>, however the definitions of the two CSS's is identical apart from a text indent setting.
Code:
    p { display: block;
 font-size: small;
 margin-top: 0em;
 margin-bottom: 0em;
 margin-left: 0em;
 margin-right: 0em;
 text-indent: 20pt;
 }
    .p1 { display: block;
 font-size: small;
 margin-top: 0em;
 margin-bottom: 0em;
 margin-left: 0em;
 margin-right: 0em;
 text-indent: 0em;
 }
Opening the material in Sigil or ADE all displays correctly. (This is all from just working with the Preview from the website).

I am going to pass this on to Kobo...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #108
bargainofoz
bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.bargainofoz seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Aura
Has anyone from Australia received theirs?
bargainofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #109
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Wow, that sounds great! Thank you for the quick response. My VN ebooks don't have any embedded fonts since I use Sony PRS 650 with PRS+ and custom CSS which reference to my Vietnamese unicode fonts. My question is that if I drag & drop the unicode fonts to the Kobo Aura, can I use that font to read my VN ebooks which don't have embedded fonts?

Thank you.
mimosa
As long as they are OTF or TTF format I believe they should work (the guru's with more detailed tech knowledge of fonts will correct me if I'm wrong ). You do need to put them into a directory named "fonts" (all lower case) and they have to be named properly to get bold/italics to work, but there are a bunch of threads that can help you with that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #110
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Opening the material in Sigil or ADE all displays correctly. (This is all from just working with the Preview from the website).

I am going to pass this on to Kobo...
Taming supplied me with an idea that appears to explain what is happening.

The first paragraph is <p class="p1">. Both p and .p1 contain "font-size: small". It appears that the rendering engine is applying the font-size: small of the .p1 relative to the font-size: of the p. This is not how ADE or Sigil interpret the same markup.
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #111
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Curious .... how much is the Aura in Canada and how much in the US.

In Aus it'll be $189.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #112
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

In Aus it'll be $189.
It's US$149 on kobo site except that it is out of stock
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #113
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As long as they are OTF or TTF format I believe they should work (the guru's with more detailed tech knowledge of fonts will correct me if I'm wrong ). You do need to put them into a directory named "fonts" (all lower case) and they have to be named properly to get bold/italics to work, but there are a bunch of threads that can help you with that.
Thank you so much, I am really tempted now. Maybe I should wait until the Bug Reports start to come in. Thanks again

Mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #114
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@mimosavj: Expect the bugs to be the same in ANY of the Kobo eReaders (save for those related to the new swipe motions on the screen). All the Kobo eReaders in effect use the same firmware (just released at differiing times).
Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #115
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Hi

Thank you for all the great reviews. I'm tempted to get one too. Can anyone please list the fonts available on the Aura? I have a number of books in Vietnamese so I would like to read them without doing the calibre embedding/converting steps.

Thanks
mimosa
All info on adding your own fonts here.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #116
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Obviously it remains to be seen with the Aura 6", but pin pricks haven't seemed to be a significant issue with previous Kobo readers. When there was a few people with the problem, it did seem to be a batch that had the issue (i.e. all the devices at a given store had the problem) rather than a widespread issue. Likely you won't need to send it back.
I think for many people it is not the small chance of getting one with a problem, it is having to possibly deal with Kobo's questionable customer service.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #117
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I have noticed that the Kobo is displaying some random paragraphs at a much smaller font than the rest of them. Has anyone else noticed this? I hope it gets sorted out in an update
Actually, now that you mention it, I did notice that in one book. Other books I've taken a look at are fine.
evelynne_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #118
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Well I canceled my online order and picked one up in the WHSmiths store, got home fired it up and found I had a couple of black dots on the screen Don't know if there were dust particles trapped under the plastic top screen or something else. I took the Aura back and got a replacement that looked ok in store (no back dots) got home and noticed two light leakage dots when the screen went to a black screen So took that one back and had to get a refund as they only had the two in stock, prob not a bad thing considering the QC on these things

I did like the form factor of this device it's like a mini but 6" screen I also liked the screen changes without the black refresh, I didn't like the plastic feel of the top screen though, just felt cheap.
Looking at my V1 paperwhite and the Aura side by side the text looked better on the PW for some reason, Fonts just looked darker and sharper and the screen looked whiter, might just be the way I had the Aura setup though, I did fiddle about with the settings a bit on the Aura but still preferred the PW.

I won't be getting another Aura I think I'll go for a PW V2 or just wait for something better.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #119
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

In Aus it'll be $189.

149.99 in Canada, so about 155.65 AUD
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #120
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Well I canceled my online order and picked one up in the WHSmiths store, got home fired it up and found I had a couple of black dots on the screen Don't know if there were dust particles trapped under the plastic top screen or something else. I took the Aura back and got a replacement that looked ok in store (no back dots) got home and noticed two light leakage dots when the screen went to a black screen

Mmm not good, that's 2 people on here already. If mine has these issues then considering I'll have to post it back I think I'll leave it at one and stick with my PW.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote