Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
From ebookwise 1150 to e-ink device

Dear all,

Unfortunately I cracked the plastic cover of my ebookwise 1150 not too long ago. Fortunately it still works (only upper left menu button doesn't). As I live in the UK, repair isn't really worth it.

Anyway, I've been following the e-ink devices with interest and think that it might be time to buy one of those to replace my much-loved ebookwise. I have some eye-problems and even though the ebookwise is lots better than a PC screen, I do read a lot on it and there is some associated strain. I have done some research on which one to buy and tend toward the NAEB Cybook.

However, as far as I understand the Cybook 3 does not read .imp files. Is that correct? Do any of the others read .imp files? Also the wiki says there is no conversion program for .imp files to other formats. I don't really fancy downloading several hundred books again (fortunately as most of them are BAEN books I can), so a batch convert would be helpful.

I've also bought a few books from ebookwise and fictionwise. However according to ebookwise I will not be able to download the books I already own in a different format, as my books are apparently linked to the ID of my ebookwise 1150. Is there a way around that? IE is there any way I can get books off my ebookwise 1150 onto my PC via the memory card? Seeing as I've already paid for those books I am not pirating them! I simply want to keep reading them as often as I want to!

I have read on the forums that ebookwisetechnologies are working on a e-ink version of their reader - is there any more info on when we can expect it? I might just hang in there or even buy another ebookwise 1150 if its less than a year.

And please please, if anyone from ebookwisetechnologies reads this: DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER EBOOKREADER CLONE! Just keep everything in the ebookwise 1150 (ergonomics, esp. page foward and back buttons and the formed grip on the back, menu system, download) and fit an e-ink screen! Oh one little thing to change - don't forget the non-American market when it comes to battery charging! I have to carry around a 1/2kg converter every time I'm going on holiday.

Anyway, any help and replies would be much appreciated!

Best wishes

LeserattePD
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeserattePD View Post
Dear all,

I've also bought a few books from ebookwise and fictionwise. However according to ebookwise I will not be able to download the books I already own in a different format, as my books are apparently linked to the ID of my ebookwise 1150. Is there a way around that? IE is there any way I can get books off my ebookwise 1150 onto my PC via the memory card? Seeing as I've already paid for those books I am not pirating them! I simply want to keep reading them as often as I want to!

Best wishes

LeserattePD
Sorry for you loss of your reader. You can get a new one for much less than any of the e-Ink devices available. Check eBay.

It is unlikely that you will be able to read the files on another device except that you can read them on your PC using the reader included with eBook Publisher or GEB Librarian. You can use a smartmedia card reader to move the files from your unit over to a pc. However these files are not IMP but an internal form. You can redownload IMP files from the fictionwise site and in some cases you will be able to download files in a different format.

Files in the internal RES format can be converted back into IMP files. Join the yahoo group for the REB1200 and in the files section is a program that will do this conversion. I am not aware of any program to convert IMP files to any other format.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
I'm very sorry for you, i live in dread of damaging mine... I hope you find a good solution.

For a little (tiny) bit more info about the e-ink plans of ETI, you might check this thread, no dates as yet (but i also am hoping it's soon...) but encouraging words concerning the design (i.e., not another clone...).

good luck fixing / replacing yours, let us know how it works out...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
LeserattePD
Enthusiast

Yeah I know I can get another Ebookwise 1150 through ebay America (that's how I got mine in the fist place seeing as ebookwise dooesn't actually deliver outside America/Canada as if the rest of the world doesn't exist...). And even with delivery it would be about 1/2 the price of an e-ink device.

But I'm really tempted to go for an e-ink display. Normally I only work 2-3 hours on the computer with large breaks in between, so the slight strain from the ebookwise is not a problem. But I'm writing my doctoral thesis at the moment and after 7-9 hours of staring at a computer screen, my eyes are feeling the strain. I like to relax by reading fiction on my ebookwise, but atm it is adding to the eye strain. I'm hoping an e-ink device would reduce that.

Thanks for the tip about getting the books off the ebookwise. I'll try the yahoo group.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
LeserattePD
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I'm very sorry for you, i live in dread of damaging mine... I hope you find a good solution.

For a little (tiny) bit more info about the e-ink plans of ETI, you might check this thread, no dates as yet (but i also am hoping it's soon...) but encouraging words concerning the design (i.e., not another clone...).

good luck fixing / replacing yours, let us know how it works out...
I think I read that thread a while ago but couldn't find it again. I just love the ergonomics of my ebookwise! One of the things that puts me off the Cybook is the page forward/back button on the front... I estimate that my reading spead is about 2 page per minute, so having to move my hand that often to push the page forward button will be annoying.
Advert
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
One of the things that puts me off the Cybook is the page forward/back button on the front... I estimate that my reading spead is about 2 page per minute, so having to move my hand that often to push the page forward button will be annoying.
You don't have to move your hand. If you hold the CyBook in your right hand, your thumb naturally falls over the button.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't have to move your hand. If you hold the CyBook in your right hand, your thumb naturally falls over the button.
It's the same sort of hand placement for the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I read that thread a while ago but couldn't find it again. I just love the ergonomics of my ebookwise! One of the things that puts me off the Cybook is the page forward/back button on the front... I estimate that my reading spead is about 2 page per minute, so having to move my hand that often to push the page forward button will be annoying.
oh, i love the ergonomics also !! it's unbeleivably well designed. especially since you can rotate the screen to hold it in either hand (which i do often, usually several times in the course of one reading session), and the buttons are re-assigned automatically. honestly, based on my experience with it, i don't think i could be as comfortable with the Sony / cybook design, although i admit i have never had the opportunity to try one so i don't know for sure.

i also am really hoping for an e-ink eb1150 soon, as the backlit screen also bothers me (although not enough for me to want to stop using it), and the idea of e-ink makes me absolutely wild... it would really be the best of all (current existing) worlds.

well, i guess we just cross our fingers and hope...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Any updates on this? I've already decided to get the Sony, because of various promotions I'll end up paying about US$150.00 for it, comparable to the price of the eb1150. But if they are working on an e-ink version, with touchscreen navigation, that might represent the new state of the art. I know you're in communication, come on, spill it.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

well, i did in fact send an email to (my good friend) Garth Conboy when i saw this thread (i think they'll probably be more motivated to work on their new version if they know they actually have more than one rabid fan / future customer), who replied :

Quote:
Still no solid news -- but, we're working on a number of possible
product directions. Hopefully some of these will make it to the market!
do with that what you will... i too beleive that an e-ink screen with touch capabilities will be the new state of the art, and from what he said previously this seems to be what they are working on.

since in the meantime i am very happy with my eb1150, and since i only just bought it a few months ago and can't really justify such a large expense for a second one so soon, i will wait a while longer to see what happens... especially since, in any case, i think e-ink technology is going to undergo some very important developpments (i can't even speculate on them, but at least touch and probably color) within a fairly short time (i imagine 1 to 3 years, but i'm really just guessing), so i might as well try to hold out as long as possible...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Regarding "touch screen" navigation, that doesn't mean the entire reading surface need be touchscreen. I think a navigational widget would suffice. I think a thin horizontal band near the bottom of an e-book (new usage of the term, see this post) could be interesting. You'd turn pages by sliding your finger along the band. Slide faster, turn pages 5 or 10 at a time. Or have "zones" on the band, sliding here turns x many pages, sliding in a different zone turns more or less. User configurable. Combine that with the standard buttons, and you'd have plenty of options for robust navigation.

Please tell your good friend that the whole world waits.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Please tell your good friend that the whole world waits.
you've probably just told him yourself ; he stops by these forums regularly and knows about this thread...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, i love the ergonomics also !! it's unbeleivably well designed. especially since you can rotate the screen to hold it in either hand (which i do often, usually several times in the course of one reading session), and the buttons are re-assigned automatically. honestly, based on my experience with it, i don't think i could be as comfortable with the Sony / cybook design, although i admit i have never had the opportunity to try one so i don't know for sure.

i also am really hoping for an e-ink eb1150 soon, as the backlit screen also bothers me (although not enough for me to want to stop using it), and the idea of e-ink makes me absolutely wild... it would really be the best of all (current existing) worlds.

well, i guess we just cross our fingers and hope...
Having had both an eb1150 and one of the Sony eInk readers (the 500, not the 505), I may be able to shed some light on the differences, but of course, your mileage may vary.

In particular, I have to agree about the ergonomics. A relative of mine gave me a Sony as a present, and within three months I was back to using the eb1150. Holding the eb1150 is much more comfortable, and I really missed being able to switch hands. The eInk is certainly nice, but was also one of my problems. I had expected that I would not be able to read in the dark with it, but even in situations that I could read a p-book, I often did not have enough light for the Sony (Note: this was the 500, not the 505). This makes me a bit wary of the ETI's new machine, as it is also eInk.

Surprisingly, I was also not satisfied with the battery life on the Sony. What I did not realize is that I charge my eb1150 after I use it, then leave it lying around for a few weeks at a time, come back when I have need and read for most of a weekend, or a plane ride -- it was ready to go. Since the Sony did not actually turn off, the two times I did this with the Sony, it was nearly dead when I picked it up, and I had to charge it before I could use it. I understand there is a hack to actually turn it off, but given my mixed feelings about it otherwise, I was not willing to mess with it. In fairness, I should say that when I used it with a fresh charge, the battery life was every bit as wonderful as everyone says. I don't know if the Cybook sleeps or turns off.

Looking at the thread Zelda mentions, I am encouraged about the way ETI is embracing open formats. Still, given the ongoing partnership with Fictionwise, and their recent acquisition of eReader, I cannot help but wonder if a successor to the eb1150 might also be able to read eReader files. eReader really needs to get on a dedicated device. Of the existing DRMs, theirs always seemed the least restrictive.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

hello jack,
thanks for the comparison. i suspect i would have a similar experience, although as e-ink is very tempting to me it might outweigh the rest. if i buy one before ETI starts to market their new device, i will get a Cybook Gen3, they have certain features which i find very interesting (dictionary lookup, better format support, etc.). i would have to find out whether it can be completely shut down to save battery, or if it only goes to "sleep mode" like the sony ; that seems like a big disadvantage.

anyway, we'll all just have to keep looking out for any news from ETI...
Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
A friend of mine just ordered the ETI-1, even though it is supposedly not available. It uses .imp as its native file and has color. It is the next gen from your unit. He paid $400 for it. Send me a message and I will have him contact you, or perhaps add to this thread. He was told it should arrive next week.

Menu Buttons
Displays several options and can vary depending on whether you are reading an eBook Edition, looking at the eBookshelf or browsing the eBookstore. The Menu button also has an on/off option.

Shortcut Button
Allows you to set a shortcut to a specific feature/function on your eBook.

Brightness Control
Turn the knob to adjust the brightness on the screen. This affects the brightness of the background, not the text or graphics.
Contrast Control
Turn the knob to increase or decrease the contrast difference between the background and the text or graphics.
Page Forward/Back
Toggle Switch
Use the right edge of the switch to page forward and the left edge of the switch to page back.
to highlight text, and Search to look for a word or phrase.

Bookmark
Bookmark a page simply by tapping the upper right corner.

Touchscreen
The back-lit 6.75" x 5" color LCD touchscreen, with adjustable brightness and contrast controls, enables comfortable reading anywhere, even in the dark. Use your finger to touch the icons and links to activate the many features and functions, or use the stylus that is stored in the top of the device.

Page Navigation Bar
Skip through your title easily and quickly. Touch the bar and it displays the number of your current page.
The brightness and contrast controls are located on the side

Brightness Control
Turn the knob to adjust the brightness on the screen. This affects the brightness of the background, not the text or graphics.

Contrast Control
Turn the knob to increase or decrease the contrast between the background and the text or graphics.

Stylus
Use the stylus like a pen to select items on-screen. To use, simply push in on the stylus and pull out.

Last edited by Kingston; 03-21-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote