Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would a visual clue to book size influence your purchasing decision?
Hell yes! 33 30.56%
Couldn't care less 46 42.59%
I'm a tad ambivalent 20 18.52%
What is a visual clue? 9 8.33%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Size matters

One drawback of buying e-books compared with p-books is that it is difficult knowing how much volume you are getting. In the bookstore you can pick up the book, see the pages, feel the heft.
There are no visual clues to that in the e-bookstore.

So a simple question; Would it influence your purchasing decision if the picture of the cover (or similar visual clue) was proportionally related to the amount of words in a book?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 12-16-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
What ?

I just voted couldn't care less, then noticed your explanation, and now I don't think I voted, for what I thought I had.... see?

Do you mean a small image of cover = short book, and vice versa ?

In which case I couldn't care even less - I am reasonably numerate, and can see how many pages there are in the book.

And I have the rest of my life to read it, long or short, if it interests me.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As long as it's abundantly clear that it's not (or is) a short story, I don't really care. But if a visual "small, medium, large" indicator helps people make a decision... who am I to stand in the way?

That's a "couldn't care any less" vote in case you couldn't tell.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I wonder if a word count would help. I have a general intuition that about 100,000 words is a reasonably long novel - not 1Q84 or The Magic Mountain, but not Death in Venice either. Even if it is not relevant for most people because they couldn't care less, it wouldn't hurt and shouldn't be so difficult to do, if a few people would find it useful.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
After I buy the book, I can use the file size as an estimate.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As long as it's abundantly clear that it's not (or is) a short story, I don't really care. But if a visual "small, medium, large" indicator helps people make a decision... who am I to stand in the way?
Same here
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I had to go with "couldn't care less" for the care continuum. If it comes down to it, I could always remove some older books to make room. And, with that, it's not like I LOSE the ones I take off my device. They are happily backed up.

But, I wouldn't rage if some kind of estimate were given on the book product page prior to purchase.

Last edited by RainingLemur; 12-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Price is not the indicator of size

... (or quality )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I like to have some idea of how long the book will be. Even on the Freebies on Amazon I'll check the file size and determine if the summary warrants a short story or something smaller.

I'm not a fan of short stories unless I know the universe it's in. I don't mind them in fanfic, but not a fan of going in blind on something short.

On the other hand, people can add a lot of padding to any format to make it seem longer, whether that padding is huge fonts and margins, or a lot of unnecessary story that does nothing for the plot line. So you can't always be sure.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
With so many authors and publishing houses using the novella as a marketing tool now, I prefer that they be listed as such in the title.

"A Book - A Blank Series Novella"

But I guess some sort of visual clue would work if they could agree on a universal tool. I'm really not a huge fan of the novella or the short story and I do try to avoid them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Hmm, In reality it doesn't matter to me. The size of the book doesn't make my decision about whether I'll buy it or not.

On the other hand, I really do take into account how long a book is when I start to read it. I would like to have a general idea of what I am about to get myself into.

On the other hand, there is a participant in my book club who reads, on average, a book a day. She reads so much that she doesn't like to purchase short novels that she could read in a couple hours at her speed.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm really not a huge fan of the novella or the short story and I do try to avoid them.
I'm a huge fan of both. I'm just not willing to pay novel price for a short story. But the difference between novel and frickin' doorstop of novel doesn't really affect my purchase decision.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I tend to prefer longer books. Even if I enjoy the story, I tend to feel a bit cheated if I'm through it in a day or two; especially if I’ve paid ten or twenty dollars for it.

Many times Amazon lists the page count for the paperback version (if it’s available in pbook), and I find that useful.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Size is not an indication of quality. I voted I couldn't care less.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I hate buying, or downloading, what looks like a promising novel only to find out it's a short story or short novella. Other than having short works clearly marked as such I'm kind of ambivalent. A marker of some sort for long works might be nice though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote