Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Forum

So, what do you suppose the forum will look like over the next couple weeks, when 500,000 people realize that their new Christmas gift has infinitely more potential rooted than it does out of the box?

KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
What do you think it's going to look like when all the non-techie people can't configure their wireless?
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

This is an automated response from the Forum Auto-Reply Subsystem:

Sorry you can't reach me, I've gone on vacation.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
What do you think it's going to look like when all the non-techie people can't configure their wireless?
Yep, the people in forums like this tend to forget that at least 90% of the owners have no clue about rooting, what it is, how to do it, or that it even exists. Just read the actual forum at B&N's website, most are clueless. And even some like myself who could root choose not to because I personally bought the NC to read on and I think Android sucks. Now if someone figures out an easy way to install Windows 7 on it, I'll perk up my ears. Windows 7 does tablet correctly unlike the kluge smartphone OS called Andriod!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...
merlin5353 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook classic, Eee PC
Uh, I'm using my NC to read. I expect to mainly read on it. I may root it. I may not. I'm not offended by slams to those of us who choose to NOT hack the snot out of whatever chunk of IC chips falls into their laps (right away, of course ). I'm just sayin'.................................
merlin5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yep, the people in forums like this tend to forget that at least 90% of the owners have no clue about rooting, what it is, how to do it, or that it even exists.
I'm clueless. I've given up on rooting until I can learn how to use WinImage.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The general public barely knows about Nooks or Sony readers & have never heard of an Astek EZ Reader or Kobo. A lot don't even know about Kindles. But they're beginning to become aware and Mobileread is responsible for some of that awareness getting to them.

MC to all & happy Nooking.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm clueless. I've given up on rooting until I can learn how to use WinImage.
I'm wondering if you're having the same problem I had with it. I eventually gave up on WinImage and used win32DiskImager, which was what was recommended on the Nookdevs wiki.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
JoeSchmoo
JoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
I found this site with an excellent, step-by-step method on using Winimage to create the Autonook MicroSD card. I had no clue either, but using this, plus the files from XDA-Dev, I was able to root in about 15 minutes (or less).
http://reviewhorizon.com/2010/12/how...w-and-gallery/

P.S. DON'T use the file linked to in the article! Instead, get the easier, new and improved version at:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872490

P.P.S. I see the blog with step-by-step instructions has been updated to reflect using the Auto-Nook file (much easier!). The link is at the top of the page referenced above, or go straight there from here:
http://reviewhorizon.com/2010/12/how...g-auto-nooter/

Last edited by JoeSchmoo; 12-25-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: left out information
JoeSchmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I'm wondering if you're having the same problem I had with it. I eventually gave up on WinImage and used win32DiskImager, which was what was recommended on the Nookdevs wiki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoo View Post
I found this site with an excellent, step-by-step method on using Winimage to create the Autonook MicroSD card. I had no clue either, but using this, plus the files from XDA-Dev, I was able to root in about 15 minutes (or less).
http://reviewhorizon.com/2010/12/how...w-and-gallery/

P.S. DON'T use the file linked to in the article! Instead, get the easier, new and improved version at:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872490

P.P.S. I see the blog with step-by-step instructions has been updated to reflect using the Auto-Nook file (much easier!). The link is at the top of the page referenced above, or go straight there from here:
http://reviewhorizon.com/2010/12/how...g-auto-nooter/
Thanks guys. I'll give this a shot next week. Appreciate the help.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
And even some like myself who could root choose not to because I personally bought the NC to read on and I think Android sucks.
I bought mine to read, only reason I rooted it was to get the brightness lower for night reading, (I like it really dull at night and the stock wouldn't go low enough) but I admit I'm having fun mucking round with it.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Sidenote - I started this thread for just a bit of fun, and to plant the idea that all kinds of folks will probably be entering the forum looking for help over the next couple weeks.

In no way was it meant to belittle anyone, regardless of how they choose to use their device.

I was kind of hoping to get some guides going for the new people coming in, but it seems like the (rooting) changes are happening so fast that a guide is nearly obsolete by the time it's finished and posted.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Maybe there should be a sub-forum for the rooters.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Can't really say, Rock, I'm not one of the decision makers here, nor do I really pay anything for this fantastic forum. Up to them I guess.