Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
PRS-950 available for pre-order from Sony

Quote:
Accepting Pre-orders
Available on or about 11/14/2010. We will email you when product ships.

I've not received the notification email, just noticed it on the site.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I've not received the notification email, just noticed it on the site.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for my emails for the 350 and 650, not to mention the 300, 600, and 900! I think Sony doesn't even save our requests to be emailed when a reader is available. I've never gotten one, others may have.
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yeah, I'm still waiting for my emails for the 350 and 650, not to mention the 300, 600, and 900! I think Sony doesn't even save our requests to be emailed when a reader is available. I've never gotten one, others may have.
Nice to know, I won't ever bother signing up for them then
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hooray! I just noticed this news too on the Sony site. I did get a pre-order notification email for the 900 last year but haven't gotten one for the 950 yet.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Yeah, I put in an email for the 350 covers, which Sony now has in stock, but I never got an email, and I've since returned the 350.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Did anyone notice the specs that say Vizplex, not Pearl screen? What's up with that? The only thing I see that's new is the addition of wifi?????
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Pearl is Vizplex, Vizplex is Pearl

That's been discussed a few times...see other threads.

My 650 shows Vizplex too but the display is way better than the 900 which also has Vizplex. So, 650 is "Pearl" Vizplex.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
As it says in several other threads... Vizplex is the eInk screen, Pearl is simply a later version of this... it's still Vizplex which is why it says it...

Edit: Skydream... great minds... you must have hit the button a second before me

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Did anyone notice the specs that say Vizplex, not Pearl screen? What's up with that? The only thing I see that's new is the addition of wifi?????
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I'm waiting for the 950, but expected availability date 11/14, that's one month from now...I hope it will ship before or that there will be reviews of it before.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Does someone have a link for the preorder site for the 950?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Does someone have a link for the preorder site for the 950?
For the sonystyle.com? Try this.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks for the link. I preordered a 950 along with a cover -- you would think they would include a cover at the $299 price. BTW, the link goes to the education store. The only discount students get is $3.50 off the cover .

In looking at the user's manual online, it looks like the charging plug is a standard micr-USB, the same as is used to charge a cellphone. That at least will make it easy.

I also checked into the extended warranty. Apparently Sony is offering 2-year ($40) and 4-year ($99) extended warranties. After I see the device and make a decision whether to keep it or not, I'll buy the warranty, probably the 4-year. Is anyone buying an extended warranty from other than Sony?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rhadin, yes, the new charging plug is micro-USB. There have been many threads related to charging the 350/650 models and what people are using as alternatives to the Sony charger. You might want to browse those threads if it interests you.

I used to buy the extended warranty but mostly because ereaders used to cost a lot more. I think I might skip it this time. If I do get it, then I will go with the 2-year. In 4 years, I anticipate that I will not still be using the 950 and have upgraded to something newer and better.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
In looking at the user's manual online, it looks like the charging plug is a standard micr-USB, the same as is used to charge a cellphone. That at least will make it easy.
Although the manual doesn't specifically say the AC charger is included, I think it will be. Sony included one with the 900. My 350 manual specifically lists the AC charger as an "optional accessory" but the 950 manual doesn't do that. I think since the 950 manual lists detailed specs on the AC charger and does not call it an optional accessory that Sony is going to include it with the 950.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Although the manual doesn't specifically say the AC charger is included, I think it will be. Sony included one with the 900. My 350 manual specifically lists the AC charger as an "optional accessory" but the 950 manual doesn't do that. I think since the 950 manual lists detailed specs on the AC charger and does not call it an optional accessory that Sony is going to include it with the 950.
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I also think that the manual language suggests that the AC charger will be included with the 950. On the other hand, on the Sony website 950 specifications page for "In the box" it only states USB cable, quick start guide and warranty. Also when I went through the preorder menus, it suggested to purchase the Sony charger as a recommended accessory.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 10-17-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo