Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Strange. I also use Windows 7 fully patched and my menus look fine.

I wonder if it might be related to the fonts you have installed and how the Desktop looks for fonts.
I wondered if that was possible as well, wish I knew exactly what font it's using so I could disable it and see. I do have Impact Regular installed, deleted it but the desktop app still shows the same way, really don't want to go through all the fonts that look like they might be the one causing the mess up.

Last edited by Danger; 05-10-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I can seem to open up non-epub books now in the update.

I just get a blank screen.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Where do the kePub files hide on a MacBook Air? I can't seem to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I use it to get a copy of my book when a book I bought is kePub only. Other than that I haven't used it for anything at all.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I can seem to open up non-epub books now in the update.

I just get a blank screen.
Nevermind, I was able to resolve the issue by logging out and back into Kobo Desktop.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
nickart
Enthusiast
nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Aura HD
Can problems arise if both the kobo desktop and Adobe Digital Editions are installed?
nickart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickart View Post
Can problems arise if both the kobo desktop and Adobe Digital Editions are installed?
Nope

The two serve different purposes and coexist with no problem.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Where do the kePub files hide on a MacBook Air? I can't seem to find them.
Old posts show that on a Mac they're stored in your home folder under Library\Application Support\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Application. You'd then need obok to do anything with them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #23
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Thanks--I was confused because in Lion, finding the Library takes a bit of hunting.

Now that I've found the right folder (called Kepub, even though I know all but one book are epubs), how do I find that one actual Kepub for purposes of disinfection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Old posts show that on a Mac they're stored in your home folder under Library\Application Support\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Application. You'd then need obok to do anything with them.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #24
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
I wondered if that was possible as well, wish I knew exactly what font it's using so I could disable it and see. I do have Impact Regular installed, deleted it but the desktop app still shows the same way, really don't want to go through all the fonts that look like they might be the one causing the mess up.
I'm getting the same result as Danger, also on Windows 7. My Kobo Desktop has just updated to 3.8.0, and now the drop-down menus look like they're formatted with Impact. The dialogs brought up by the menu items look OK, though.

I haven't ever played around with, substituted or removed any of the system fonts installed by Windows.

Also, the whole desktop app is incredibly slow. Bit of a pain.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried a manual update to 3.8.0 (was not prompted to do it) and see the same result.

I also tried a deinstall / reinstall and that made no difference either.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #26
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, I've just removed it and re-installed, and it didn't resolve it for me, either.

I gather it's an intended design, though with Windows' font and glyph substitution (yeesh, I wish I could switch that off!!), it's hard to know whether it's intended, or whether it's supposed to look differently and Windows is "helping".
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I *think* it's unintended...
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
2 desktop app updates (3.8.0) later and still seeing the same font problem.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Thanks--I was confused because in Lion, finding the Library takes a bit of hunting.

Now that I've found the right folder (called Kepub, even though I know all but one book are epubs), how do I find that one actual Kepub for purposes of disinfection?
The Kobo.sqlite database in that folder contains the mapping in the 'content' table. At least one version of the decryption tool will let you choose the book from a menu built using that database/table. For more help, you will need to google for "Apprentice Alf" and read the only page on that site that has comments.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote