Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Why didn't the great unwashed buy skis or skateboards for Christmas instead of e-readers? (says she who only bought 2 new e-readers for Christmas - but I also bought a skateboard so you can't completely blame me)

I have just been trying to give my daughter an Overdrive lesson on our local library's site - but gave up as it was so slow. We'll try again in a few days when hopefully all the newbies have given up
I don't think they'll give up anytime soon as they have a LOT of eBooks to wade through to see what they may want to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What can we do to make it uncool again?
I have a great idea. Make it so Overdrive only can serve eBooks from servers they own. That would cut down a lot of the users.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wow. I just looked at the home page for one of the eBook libraries I have access to. They have a section for the "most downloaded" books.

Kathryn Stockett's book "The Help" has 590 people on the wait list! Now, there are 52 owned copies, so that puts people at a little over 10th in line.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #19
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think they'll give up anytime soon as they have a LOT of eBooks to wade through to see what they may want to read.
I'm on the other side of the world to most of them - I'll limit my use to when the US is supposed to be asleep.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
My guess is that a lot of patrons that didn't use Overdrive now have a reader and have been accessing the library. I don't see this getting any better.
It can get better once libraries change their focus. As the demand for ebooks increase, libraries will budget more for their purchase and less for physical books.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have a great idea. Make it so Overdrive only can serve eBooks from servers they own. That would cut down a lot of the users.
How about we get rid of all those silly ePubs? Amazon's servers can handle the load then. It's a win win!
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
How about we get rid of all those silly ePubs? Amazon's servers can handle the load then. It's a win win!

Borrowing Kindle books is much easier than borrowing ePub books.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #23
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Bad idea - last on first off I say.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #24
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Surrey's eBooks Library is running as fast as it ever did, not that it was ever quick in the first place.

And there has been no increase in the number of digital copies available so 99.9% still have to be reserved.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I had several books come up on my holds in the last few days, and getting Overdrive's servers to complete the transactions was seriously painful yesterday. I could only wish that I was able to use Amazon servers for it, but that's a US option only.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
The only recent problem I've had is not being able to download a Kindle book that I'd checked out. Three others were fine, but this one gets an error message from Amazon. An Overdrive tech is investigating. I'm wondering if there'll be a resolution before the check-out expires.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Ah, shades of Monty Python's 4 Yorkshire men. Did you drink tea out of a rolled up piece of newspaper? (if you're not a Monty Python fan you will have no idea what I'm talking about!)
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #28
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I had some issues on Monday, but yesterday was fine. I even downloaded a movie from the Chicago Library; an hour and a half long documentary that took maybe 8 or 10 minutes to complete downloading.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I had several books come up on my holds in the last few days, and getting Overdrive's servers to complete the transactions was seriously painful yesterday. I could only wish that I was able to use Amazon servers for it, but that's a US option only.
Even if you were in the US and borrowing a Kindle eBook, you would still need to go through the library/Overdrive in order to then get to Amazon.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Wow. I just looked at the home page for one of the eBook libraries I have access to. They have a section for the "most downloaded" books.

Kathryn Stockett's book "The Help" has 590 people on the wait list! Now, there are 52 owned copies, so that puts people at a little over 10th in line.
One local library I just was looking at has The Help at 10 copies with 88 people on the waiting list and a 21-day maximum borrow time.

So it's going to be about 6 months before everyone on the list gets a turn at it.