Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Resolve: iPad Usage Report

http://mashable.com/2010/07/08/ipad-usage-report/

Quote:
Resolve Market Research has just completed a comprehensive study that looks at how the iPad is being used, and how the iPad is impacting other technology devices like e-readers, portable gaming consoles and netbooks.

The study has some interesting, and in some cases surprising, results. While the ultimate impact that devices like the iPad will have on netbooks has been discussed at length (some analysts predict tablets will outsell netbooks by 2012), the two devices that will really be affected by the iPad, at least according to Resolve’s study, are e-readers and portable gaming devices.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
I'm firmly in the wouldn't buy a netbook/laptop category. I've been workin away from the office a lot for the past 2 months and the iPad has been a great work tool. I especially enjoy not having to scramble around looking for electrical outlets and extension cords.

The no more e-reader category also probably applies to me but I'll reserve judgement until we've had our 2 weeks of sunshine this summer here in the rain forrest
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I wouldn't have bought a Kindle or netbooks if iPad had been around. Still need my laptop, though.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Just got my Ipad but I am ready to buy that new Kindle DX Graphite.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I agree with not wanting an ereader after having an iPad (only because I strictly read manga... if I read books then I would still prefer an ereader). And I can see some people not wanting a netbook/laptop after an iPad if all they use a computer for is web surfing and email.

The rest of the results are surprising to me, especially iPad as a replacement for your mp3 player.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Interesting... as I've said to the point of boring everyone .... I sold my Sony Reader and Nintendo DS Lite after getting the iPad. I knew by the sudden rash of used eInk readers for sale that I was not alone.....

I basically agree with all of it things that people say it replaces... but for me I still want a smart phone (I have an iPhone 3G at this point) to tether my WIFI iPad to, and use as an MP3 player.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I want to meet the people that would not buy a smartphone because they have an iPad. I guess they figure all of their time will be spent on the internet so they won't have time to talk to people anymore.

eInk is dead, iPad blows it out of the water. I love my iPad, I wouldn't look back. If I did more reading outdoors then I'd use an eInk device but since most of my reading is done at home or somewhere else indoors, the iPad is great.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
If the new iPod Touch has the rumored 2 cameras HD recording and face time, I'll get one of those too.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
I want to meet the people that would not buy a smartphone because they have an iPad. I guess they figure all of their time will be spent on the internet so they won't have time to talk to people anymore.
I think they may just think they only need a cheap feature phone from now on?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I can give up smart phones because of my iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Sinthor
Sinthor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Replacement

Well, this is how I see it:

1. I think the iPad WILL replace e-readers in general, but only for a specific user set- those who WANT multi-function. The iPad is a great e-reader, BUT, the battery life is not that of my Kindle. For some, that may be a deal breaker. The crowd the iPad will NOT take the place of the Kindle or other devices are those people who JUST want an e-reader and the simplicity that implies. I've talked to several older relatives in that category. Technology is very intimidating to a certain crowd and while they can get over the Kindle because it basically does one thing, simply and very well, the multi-capacity devices scare these people off. The battery life will keep a smaller group of people away. For myself, the iPad screen is good and bright enough for all my reading environments. I wouldn't use the Kindle by the pool in the sun either due to the fear of water damage so that's no big deal.

2. iPad can replace laptops for people who mostly want to email and web surf while running some smaller games and apps. For heavier duty tasks though, you still need a computer. Still, this has kept me from wanting to get a net book or smaller tablet like PC.

3. MP3 player- iPad will replace this only for people who don't want their music really portable. For sitting and reading on a trip or at home, it will do great as a music player. iPod still rules for working out, etc.

4. iPad may well replace those portable DVD players on trips. Only thing really stopping it here is the price point. Of course, in a few years that will no doubt change as well.

For me the iPad is pretty much the perfect device. The only thing I think it REALLY needs is (as I'm sure has been beaten to death) a forward facing camera so I can VIDEO chat with folks over IM. You could even use the forward facing camera to take a quick picture if you needed. This is the one glaring omission on Apple's part that I don't understand unless they were somehow afraid it could make the iPad compete with the iPhone? Still don't get that- but Apple's usually very good with the small details so this HAD to have been left out for a very good reason (as far as Apple was concerned anyway). Any info been released on WHY they didn't include a camera?
Sinthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post
Any info been released on WHY they didn't include a camera?
Keep costs down for v.1.0.
Product differentiation from upcoming (at the time) iPhone 4
Have a killer feature for iPad 2.0.