Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Shorter Battery Life with Softroot 1.3?

I softrooted my nook last week to check out the software and I like it a lot. In fact, it is still on my device.

However, I have noticed that, where I used to get about 3.5 days out of the battery before needing to recharge (meaning, the warning comes on and you can't read without recharging), I now appear to get less than a day.

Here is the test I conducted: I left my device charging while I went out with my wife last night (it was at 27% in airplane mode). When we got back about 4 hours later, it was fully charged. I took it off the wired charger and read for about a half hour before going to sleep. As always, I just laid the device down and went to sleep (my device is always in airplane mode). I woke up this morning, had breakfast and went to read. The battery was down to 60%.

I guess my question is whether it is possible that the softroot is causing th shorter battery life? Has anyone else experienced this?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I'm not a nookdev developer, but I examined running processes on my nook, and saw nothing taking up cpu power but top (the process monitor). I have not seen shorter battery life on mine.

I would try rebooting the device. Maybe a process is out of control?

I will monitor mine overnight and see if I lose power....
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
I'm not a nookdev developer, but I examined running processes on my nook, and saw nothing taking up cpu power but top (the process monitor). I have not seen shorter battery life on mine.

I would try rebooting the device. Maybe a process is out of control?

I will monitor mine overnight and see if I lose power....
It asppear rebooting the device did the trick. I was at full power last night and rebooted before going to sleep. This morning, it appears to only have lost a couple of percentage points overnight. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Same for me. Seems like it loses a tiny bit (like 1% every 12 hours or so).
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
riemann42
Zealot

So I just ordered a DecalGirl skin as well. I ordered the Mystery one, but we'll see, I may just order the black as yours looks so good.

What I want to know is if the contrast on the screen seems different with a dark background?
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
So I just ordered a DecalGirl skin as well. I ordered the Mystery one, but we'll see, I may just order the black as yours looks so good.

What I want to know is if the contrast on the screen seems different with a dark background?
I think the black matte skin increases the contrast, though that may be my rationalization since that's why I got it. I am a fan of simplicity and minimalism so that probably also has something to do with the Industrille cover and the black skin.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way.