Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Side by Side Comparisons of 505, 600, and K2 screens

I set up my Canon EOS 500D DSLR camera on a tripod and took these three comparison photos of the PRS-505, PRS-600, and Kindle2 screens.

I was tired of seeing comparison photos that showed various reader each in a unique position, with a unique lighting system, and/or a unique page being displayed. So I set out to make a true EVEN comparison, as follows:
  • All three photos or taken with the camera in the same location and using the same settings
  • All three photos or taken with the same exact lighting, ambient without flash
  • All three photos or taken with the respective reader in the same location
  • All three photos or taken with the respective reader displaying the exact same page from a book
  • None of the photos were retouched in any way, although I did have to resize them for this website

Note:
The 600 screen is not as clear and sharp in the photos as it is in real life. The 600 appears to have at least on extra layer, probably a polymer, that reflects the camera light differently than the 505 and K2. Having said that, the 600 is not as sharply contrasted as the 505 and K2, has more reflection, but nonetheless is a very good screen--very readable.

Kindle2 screen:

PRS-505 screen:

PRS-600 screen:

Last edited by jswinden; 08-29-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Contrast, glare, and reflection issues aside, it is just stunning how clownish the K2 looks with its awkward, enormous bezel.

No offense to K2 lovers... it's a sweet machine. Just a little clownish.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Oh, and thanks for the photos, jswinden!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hey Jack, do you want us all to know your phone number? If not, you should edit your photo.
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
This is great, thanks!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Great photos!

Thanks!
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #7
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
wonder if the 505 screen looks better because the surround is lighter compared to the 600
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
wonder if the 505 screen looks better because the surround is lighter compared to the 600
Good question. I tried to meter the shot on the center of the screen, but optical illusions can happen.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

BTW: Last night I attached a clip-on LED reading light and the 600 screen looked as sharp as any I've ever seen and with almost no glare. I wll try to go outside in the direct sunshine today to see what it looks like. I suspect they designed it for high lit situations.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
I didn't realise how clear the Kindle2 screen was before, as compared to the 505 ... I like the font. Is it the default? Must consider tinkering with my 505 fonts and see what's the more readable, serif or sans-serif. You use all three? Which do you find the best for long reading?
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Contrast, glare, and reflection issues aside, it is just stunning how clownish the K2 looks with its awkward, enormous bezel.

No offense to K2 lovers... it's a sweet machine. Just a little clownish.
I wouldn't mind my sony having the nice big buttons for page advance even if the rest of the kindle is a tad ugly.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Very nice photos.

I don't find the K2 to look bad at all. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the font Amazon has chosen to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlrigh View Post
I like the font. Is it the default?
The Kindle only has one font for AZW ebooks, it is Caecilia. On the K2 and KDX there is a hack to replace the font (the rest of the Kindle Optimizer site is also interesting if you want to know about fonts on EInk).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I noticed that the Sony's display 3 more lines than the Kindle. The Kindle seems to waste a lot of screen real estate with big left and right margins although the justification makes the text look nicer.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
Hey Jack, do you want us all to know your phone number? If not, you should edit your photo.
Thanks, I didn't notice that!