Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
SONY Drops Price on all its readers 300/600/900

Okay I don't know if this is news or not, but with B&N starting the price war and dropping their Nook to $199 in addition to pricing their new model aggressively at only $149. Amazon did not skip a beat and quickly followed suit by dropping their model to $189.

So I was curios would SONY join the price war and drop their prices? It looks the the answer is yes.

I visited their Sonystyle store they have new prices

300 dropped from $169-> $149
600 dropped from $199 -> $169
900 dropped from $349 -> $299

So here I was eying a kindle for wife with it's lower price point. With the new lower price she might just receive a cherry red Sony-600

Decision, decisions....

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
It looks like a release of new Sony ereader is eminent.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
So here I was eying a kindle for wife with it's lower price point. With the new lower price she might just receive a cherry red Sony-600

Decision, decisions....

=X=
Or you could get her a Kindle from Woot selling at $149.99 + $5 for shipping today.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like I'm a little late with my advice as Woot has sold through their stock!

Last edited by Connallmac; 07-01-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
PRS 600 still £229 at the UK Sony Store (about $345 at today's exchange rate).

However, I got a $25 gift voucher from Borders when they advertised the PRS-600 for $100 and refused to honour the deal. The 600 is also $169 at borders.com, so I ordered it from there, used the gift voucher and, with postage to the UK, have got one for $153 (about £101)
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
And I'm waiting for it with bated breath. I hope we'll finally get a large size reader from Sony with the new eInk screens we've been hearing about.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Why do you say that? I interpreted the price reductions as a response to the cuts on the Nook, Kindle and DX (and the smaller players in the market as well).

And I figure all three companies are scrambling to launch new readers later this year.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Why do you say that? I interpreted the price reductions as a response to the cuts on the Nook, Kindle and DX (and the smaller players in the market as well)
I'm not 100% positive, but I think Sony released the PRS900 last August, so it stand to reason they'll release a new reader this August as well.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I'm not 100% positive, but I think Sony released the PRS900 last August, so it stand to reason they'll release a new reader this August as well.
So is everyone else from what I've read. Anyway, this might just be semantics. I just interpreted their price cut as a response to the price cuts amongst their biggest competitors, not as a move to clear out inventory in advance of new devices.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
The announced it in August. They didn't actually sell it until December.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
It seemed that all these manufacturers wouldn't drop the prices like hotcakes unless there is something in the pipeline that is coming out soon.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
$99 ereaders for all! We are on the way down, and its a burger war for sure. Let the magic of competition work its wonders. Amazon has had a lock on this market long enough.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
They definitely did it today. I checked the prices of the PRS-900 just yesterday for a friend that's coming from Jamaica on Saturday and wanting to buy a PRS-900 before going back on July 15th. It was showing $349 last night.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
They are not matching the US prices here in Canada at the Sony store:

PRS300 -- $199.99
PRS600 -- $249.99
PRS900 -- not available
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
While I don't think this round of price cuts was specifically to clear inventory, I believe this was a strategic decision to keep or increase market share and clear 600/900 units. With all the new readers, I do believe they will be announcing a 600 and 900 replacements.

I will call the new units 6XX and 9XX, probably in the next 60 days. I base this timing on what they will need to do to meet the holiday shopping season. After announcement, they would need at least 60-90 days to start filling the supply chain. Just being available in the Sony store is not enough to have a successful launch. And if they miss the holiday shopping at the end of the year, it will really hurt them.

I believe the 6XX will remain a 6 inch screen. While I would like for them to keep the touch UI, they need to move the sensor below the reading screen to provide the clearest screen possible.

I believe the 9XX will be either an 8 inch or 9.7. I am betting on the 9.7 as it is more appropriate size for technical reading and closer to a standard sheet of paper which means less zoom on PDF files.

The new Kindle DX has set the bar for pricing of these larger screens.

My pricing forecast is:
300 = $149
6XX = $209 without touch $239 with touch.
9XX = $399 with 3G

Last edited by switchman2210; 07-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Man, how long is this "war" going to last?

Seems like all these companies are scrambling to get that next generation eReader out there in the upcoming months. And then what after that? Will there be another price reduction a few months later and the cycle continues?

I wish someone would just make a really kickass device that blows the competition away. Then maybe we would have some "peace" time for a few months.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote