Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #256
mideel
mideel began at the beginning.

Device: android office
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
What 7-inch tablet are you using? Try using -w 4.2in -h 5.6in if your aspect ration is 4:3 (or just use whatever the width and height of your tablet screen are in inches). If the resolution isn't satisfactory, use the -dr option to improve it, e.g. -dr 1.5 or -dr 2. Use -f2p -1 to always fit images/figures to the device screen (for tall images). I'll add your "split image" question to my FAQ page. Does your tablet not have panning and zooming with finger gestures?
yeah, the -f2p -1 solve the split image problem.... but is there a way to view the images in its original view because the images are cut on both sides since it become bigger, but of course i want to let the non image text to be bigger...

here's the original view

here's the bigger version after conversion
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7e10679e.jpg

but its not really big deal, larger images are also fine

and i can zoom in in my tablet and that makes the text bigger but i have to scroll to the left and right and that makes me dizzy

thanks for the help....
mideel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #257
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideel View Post
yeah, the -f2p -1 solve the split image problem.... but is there a way to view the images in its original view because the images are cut on both sides since it become bigger, but of course i want to let the non image text to be bigger...
I'm not completely sure what's causing your issue--maybe you can attach a few pages of the source PDF and also the converted PDF? But try using -m 0 and see if that fixes it. That will eliminate any cropping done by k2pdfopt (default is -m 0.25, which crops 0.25 inches around the edges of the source PDF).
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #258
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chinese OCR example

To demonstrate the Unicode-16 OCR, I added a simplified Chinese character OCR example to my OCR help page.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #259
slih44gb
slih44gb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First off: Your software is incredible, i have so many pdfs that will be saved by this! =)
You're making my Kindle Paperwhite double as useful!

Yet, I still have some minor problems:

1. I want to preserve vertical gaps in the document to distinguish chapters and at least keep the feeling of the original layout, even if i can't keep the pagebreaks. The -bp does that fine, but it of course also leaves every second page of text half empty due to original pagebreaks.

I tried with -vs 2.5, but it only recognizes gaps that don't have a pagebreak inbetween. When there is a pb, the next chaptertitle is directly pressed to the foregoing text. Is there any workaround for me?
Maybe a little more elaborated command with "if"-conditions?

2. Is there any way to keep pictures on one page except for -f2p -1? Because this makes the text size jump.
I'm on a Kindle Paperwhite and already adjusted the resolution to 768x1024 pixels.

(...and last, no problem, since I use the GUI mostly for it's tooltips as a help:
3. I can't get the windows GUI to give me native pdf output, also not with the added command line saying -n. The k2pdfopt.exe is the newest version of course. )

These are btw the overall commands:
-mode fw -ls- -om 0.2,0.2,0.2,0.2 -m 0,0.9,0,0 -w 768 -h 1024 -vs 2.5

The -ls- turns the pdf to portrait again after the otherwise superb "fixed width" mode.
I put an overall 0.2 margin, so it won't look so pressed.
On the top -mt 0.9 cuts off the page numbers.
Resolution is adjusted to the resolution of my Kindle Paperwhite.
... and -vs 2.5 is the command in question.

Thanks so much in advance! =)
slih44gb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #260
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slih44gb View Post
First off: Your software is incredible, i have so many pdfs that will be saved by this! =)
You're making my Kindle Paperwhite double as useful!

Yet, I still have some minor problems...
It will really help if you can attach some examples--including the source PDF file, and point to the specific converted pages you are having trouble with. You can send them to me in a private message if you wish.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #261
slih44gb
slih44gb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks so much, I will! =)

/addition:

Wikipedia says, the Paperwhite boasts 758 instead of 768 horizontal pixels. Didn't solve my problem, though.

Does anyone else have problems with formatting/font/cut-off of text, that gets pushed over a new pagebreak?

Or missing pages resulting in a blank page giving an error when opened in acrobat?

Last edited by slih44gb; 12-23-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: wouldn't fancy a double-posting ;)
slih44gb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #262
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slih44gb View Post
Thanks so much, I will! =)

/addition:

Wikipedia says, the Paperwhite boasts 758 instead of 768 horizontal pixels. Didn't solve my problem, though.

Does anyone else have problems with formatting/font/cut-off of text, that gets pushed over a new pagebreak?

Or missing pages resulting in a blank page giving an error when opened in acrobat?
The most reliable way for you to convert your PDF file (if you want native PDF output) is with the -bp option. This ensures that every converted page will have content from only a single source page. Most of the issues you are having are because of the way k2pdfopt renders multiple source document pages onto one destination page. If the two source pages use the same macro name for different things, then the result is that the macro from the earlier page gets overwritten by the macro from the later page, and the displayed converted page is then incorrect. With some PDF files you can get away with it because each page has different macro names, but with your particular PDF file, you cannot (this is why examples are so helpful). There is probably a better way to combine two source PDF pages into a single destination page, but I haven't figured it out yet (still learning about PDF).

Unfortunately, that means you have to live with the gaps due to the page breaks. There's not much I can do about that given that -bp has to be used to render the converted file correctly (unless you use non-native mode by adding -n-). Sorry I can't do better for you for now. I'll try and investigate more about how to render multiple source pages into one destination page. I think there are other programs that do it that I can try and learn from. I'll also consider adding an option that inserts a gap between source pages rather than completely breaking the page. As you've deduced, there isn't really a good inbetween option right now.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #263
islandmixed
islandmixed began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite (2012)
Unsure if it would work on mac mount lion 10.8 but it does!!

Amazing software and i have searched for days to convert some pdf files that are readable and bigger in text! worked perfect for me.

1 issue i am having, is their a way to allow my kindle to be able to give a definition of a word when i press on it? it will not allow me to highlight any text after the conversion.

thanks.

Last edited by islandmixed; 12-24-2012 at 06:32 AM.
islandmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #264
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmixed View Post
Unsure if it would work on mac mount lion 10.8 but it does!!

Amazing software and i have searched for days to convert some pdf files that are readable and bigger in text! worked perfect for me.

1 issue i am having, is their a way to allow my kindle to be able to give a definition of a word when i press on it? it will not allow me to highlight any text after the conversion.

thanks.
Did you use OCR?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #265
gadd
gadd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

I am having exactly the same problem which I in my previous comments tried to emphasize. The dictionary and highlight functions of Kindle does not operate in k2opt formatted texts. How should I overcome?

Thanks in advance.
gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #266
gadd
gadd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Unfortunately, OCR does not respond to the problem.
gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #267
islandmixed
islandmixed began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite (2012)
Okay guys i did the OCR thing that was in the video and i am allowed to highlight text and get the definition from the dictionary so it does work!

@GADD have u done the orc thing thats demonstrated in the video???

thanks all.
islandmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #268
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Okay guys i did the OCR thing that was in the video and i am allowed to highlight text and get the definition from the dictionary so it does work!

@GADD have u done the orc thing thats demonstrated in the video???

thanks all.
Thank you for confirming that this works on a Kindle Paperwhite. I seem to recall that highlighting PDFs also works on the Kindle 3. The video being referred to which shows how to enable OCR is the getting started video. Also see the OCR help page.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #269
Fanhoso
Fanhoso began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Nevermind this post, it got moderated when I posted it and I thought that meant it didn't go through, so I posted it again here.

Last edited by Fanhoso; 12-30-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Redundancy avoidance
Fanhoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #270
eleaticus
eleaticus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
cannot open

I had k2pdfopt on this Windows 7 Home Premium laptop but crashes lost it. Loved it. But now both the 32 and 64-bit latest versions say "cannot open" no matter what I throw at it. Including files I had converted previously.

What?!?!!??

Thanks - please - for help!
eleaticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools