Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #121
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Delima is not, IMO, unusable at all. I actually have it set now so that i like it even more than I did with the former build--and Delima was my go-to font then. I've switched allegiance to another font, Amasis, because it's a little rounder. I found that font unacceptable in the earlier build.

You may want to tune whatever font you decide on. And you may notice that the settings you use with one font are not exactly what you will want for another one.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #122
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm hoping to be able to manage Kobo shelves in Calibre. Right now it takes ages to even create a shelf...

Also my shortlist is now on page three of my shelves...

It should be on the home page instead of the Wishlist, which IMO could be in "Find Books". Shortlist should at least be directly in the Library dropdown menu, not hidden between the shelves...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #123
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Also my shortlist is now on page three of my shelves...

It should be on the home page instead of the Wishlist, which IMO could be in "Find Books". Shortlist should at least be directly in the Library dropdown menu, not hidden between the shelves...
Tsk, tsk, be serious. Why would they make it easier to access stuff already on your device when they could shove one of their ploys to get marketing data from you in your face?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #124
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gumbyisms aside, my bet is that the developers had no idea how attached people were to the shortlist. It's not like the boards were full of people singing its praises. In fact, the board seemed to be filled with people saying what a half-a$$ed feature it was and that people wanted "real" shelves.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #125
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Tsk, tsk, be serious. Why would they make it easier to access stuff already on your device when they could shove one of their ploys to get marketing data from you in your face?
Hmm, why should they? Oh, I know!

To make me recommend the Kobo to others because it's such a nice device and thus get people to buy it - people who will eventually buy books from Kobo.

And to stop me from getting too annoyed by their advertising to even consider buying more books from Kobo let alone recommending Kobo to others.

I would be worried that they try to get marketing data from me - if I didn't know that they don't know what to do with it anyway. They still recommend books to me I've already bought from Kobo, so... yeah, well...
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #126
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo is still playing hide the firware. Why they bother, I really can't fanthom.

Upddating an unregistered kobo still completely bricks it until the database is populated with a user account. For a wifi device, that is epic fail. After so many updates, there's no sensible reason it shouldn't have account creation, if necessary, (which it shouldn't be,) built into the device.

Not mentioned in the release notes, images are now dithered. The improvement in display of pictures is amazing. The Japanese manga fans will be pleased.

Similarly, the improvement of font rendering with customizeable font weights is also massive. The Kobo is the first e-ink device I've seen that can almost match the Kindle for text clarity. It's a pity some are reporting difficulties with user supplied fonts, but I think it's a fair trade.

On the negative side the update, page turning is now significantly slower. Reading on the touch feels a bit like reading on the Wifi, you have to tap over a second ahead of when you want the page to turn. Dead tap followed by double page turn still plagues the Kobo. Only now you don't even get a double page flash to hint at what happened. You just suddenly find yourself having skipped a page.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #127
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Gumbyisms aside, my bet is that the developers had no idea how attached people were to the shortlist. It's not like the boards were full of people singing its praises. In fact, the board seemed to be filled with people saying what a half-a$$ed feature it was and that people wanted "real" shelves.
Yeah, but by now people are used to the shortlist. I know I am.

And I was happy to have my shortlist on the homescreen. Liked that even better than having it in the dropdown menu. Now I miss the easy access.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #128
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Are we actually using the same device?
  • The advertising related content used to take up a whole bunch of the screen all of the time in the desktop. You can now avoid it in one click by clicking on library.
  • What is now the most wonderful thing in the entire world (AKA shortlist) used to be a much maligned part of the dreaded carousel that took up significant screen space on the home page.
  • People screamed for a wish list. Oh crap we have one now, and you can get to it from the home screen.

Are there problems with the build. Yes. For sure the way custom fonts display is a problem for people who liked them the old way. We have somehow lost diacritical marks in other fonts.

But really does this firmware build look like something that was marketing driven? Really? What new marketing ploy was built in? What reader advances and features first saw the light in this build?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #129
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Hmm. Having downgraded to 1.9.17 because of the side-loaded font issue, all my menu text, page number display at the bottom of the screen, etc, appears embiggened and/or uglified, in some bold Rockwell-like font. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #130
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:

And I was happy to have my shortlist on the homescreen. Liked that even better than having it in the dropdown menu. Now I miss the easy access.
Change is hard. And it isn't always seen as a move forward. The developers now know something they had no clue about before the build was released--some people love the shortlist. Let's cut them some slack for not being omniscient mind readers and see if here is a response to this in future builds.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #131
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Most of the time, the only people you hear from on these boards are ones complaining about features the don't like. Heck I didn't even give the shelves a chance once I realized my favourite feature was gone and that my favourite font looked like crap. I pretty much immediately rolled back to .17
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #132
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

/agreed
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #133
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
On the negative side the update, page turning is now significantly slower. Reading on the touch feels a bit like reading on the Wifi, you have to tap over a second ahead of when you want the page to turn. Dead tap followed by double page turn still plagues the Kobo. Only now you don't even get a double page flash to hint at what happened. You just suddenly find yourself having skipped a page.
Ok so it wasn't just me. I thought that page turning seemed slower.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #134
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Ok so it wasn't just me. I thought that page turning seemed slower.
HUH

To me page turning is faster than it ever was; and I am seeing no double turns / missed turns.

Do be aware that warmer temperatures DO cause issues with page turns.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #135
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If I were a betting kind of gal, my bet would be that font handling is one thing we will be seeing a change in sooner rather than later. I installed Gentium Book to see what folks were talking about. It looks awful in ePUB, much, much better in kepub.

That kind of thing used to happen from time to time in the past--the kepub advantage. The developers did come through for us with changes that equalized this kind of thing, but it wasn't always as fast as anyone (including me) wanted.

I have not experienced degradation with built in fonts, though I have done some fine tuning.