Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
DHahn
DHahn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Book published on Amazon, but for some reason text-to-speech is not enabled

Link to book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Bently-Res...3127020&sr=8-1

The book was created by hand as an EPUB and then put through Amazon Previewer (Kindlegen). To my knowledge, Kindlegen will not disable text-to-speech by default — and we would prefer to allow it.

Where can I put the bit of metadata into my epub by hand in order to "force" text to speech?

I am not very familiar with the MOBI format, and I do not see any option in Kindle Previewer or Kindlegen which would have flagged text-to-speech as not allowed.

Thank you!
DHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When I view your title listing it's only available on my Kindle for Android devices (also available on Cloud Reader and Fire), not regular Kindle devices not my regular Kindles, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac or Kindle for iThings. Kindle for Android doesn't do TTS and being that your book is limited to Android devices are you sure it's a regular Mobi file?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
DHahn
DHahn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Ohhhhh… well, yea that's going to be a problem then. We designed it for Kindle, and Kindle Fire.

It looks great in Previewer for both Kindle and Kindle Fire. Now I need to figure out what the heck is going on here, and how Kindlegen created something that is only Android and Kindle Fire compatible.

EDIT: Kindle Previewer doesn't pop any errors or warnings when I compile the book.

Thanks.

Last edited by DHahn; 04-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.
DHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
mrlasers
mrlasers began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHahn View Post
Ohhhhh… well, yea that's going to be a problem then. We designed it for Kindle, and Kindle Fire.

It looks great in Previewer for both Kindle and Kindle Fire. Now I need to figure out what the heck is going on here, and how Kindlegen created something that is only Android and Kindle Fire compatible.

EDIT: Kindle Previewer doesn't pop any errors or warnings when I compile the book.

Thanks.
Fixed-layout books can only be downloaded to Kindle Fire and Kindle for Android at present. Even Kindle for PC, which now supports Kindle Format 8 and fixed-layout titles, is not currently an option.
mrlasers is offline   Reply With Quote