Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
daviesgeek
Geek
daviesgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Merging dictionaries

How do I merge dictionaries? I have two dictionaries that I would like to merge together and take out duplicate entries. How do I do this?
daviesgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
That would be the same as merging two books and eliminating duplicate words. It might be theoretically possible if you were a decent programmer, but impractical. I'd give up on the idea.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
daviesgeek
Geek

What programming language would you use?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I quit programming when operating systems went to windows-like interfaces and my programming tools went out of date. Most any language that deals easily with text files might work, provided the dictionaries are accessible as such. Then you might have to deal with copyright issues, DRM and other legalities. But different dictionaries have different definitions for the same words, so how would you decide (a human decision, not a programming decision) when to keep both or not? You would have to build in a lot of arbitrary decision trees to determine when to keep words from both sources.

I guess the next question would be, what two dictionaries would you try to merge? Perhaps one more comprehensive dictionary would be better?
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
daviesgeek
Geek

I am trying to merge an older dictionary with the default dictionary that comes with the Kindle. The newer dictionary doesn't include some of the Old English words, and I would like a dictionary that has Old English words in it.

Tags
dictionaries, merging