Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Server help please

I've recently unistalled Norton's and have begun using Comodo internet security. Under Norton's I had had the server working with outside/internet access as well as intranet access for my ipod touch and my son's iphone.

Now, the router configuration is unchanged, the "server test" works fine, but neither of us can access calibre though the http --- even if I turn the firewall off completely.

Any ideas???

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
first thing to do is turn off comodo and see if that restores access. That way you know it's smething in comodo blocking the server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Beau
Connoisseur

Thanks for your reply.

With all areas of the security disabled, it's still not working. The windows firewall is also disabled.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Many software protection suites cannot be properly disabled via their GUI - only by fully uninstalling them. I do not know if Comodo is one of those.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
Beau
Connoisseur

New info, don't know if this helps:

If I run calibre off of my netbook (Windows 7, AVG free) on the same network, the server test works, but the connection still times out. Are both comps supposed to have the same IP? (They do.) I only opened Calibre on one computer at a time during this test.

Also, another change to my network is that my son has moved back home and is doing online games on yet another computer. Could that cause a problem with port forwarding availability?

Thanks again for any help.

Beau
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
New info, don't know if this helps:

If I run calibre off of my netbook (Windows 7, AVG free) on the same network, the server test works, but the connection still times out. Are both comps supposed to have the same IP? (They do.) I only opened Calibre on one computer at a time during this test.
Um... so, each computer can not have the same IP. However, you router does NAS which means that they all have the same external IP outside the network.

You can only connect from outside your lan to your PC if you set up a port forwarding route for a specific port (whatever you run calbre server on) to your internal LAN IP. Or, set that machine up in the DMZ (not very secure).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is it possible that Comodo used uPnP to modify some settings on your router to make it more "secure"?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Beau
Connoisseur

The router has port forwarding for the program 'calibre' enabled to 8080. I didn't change any of the router settings since I had it working before. I guess I was thinking that some of the gaming programs may make their own changes to the router during set up?

I have big gaping holes in my knowledge as I only learn this stuff when I'm forced to.

Thanks for any help!

Beau