Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
BISG Survey Shows Move Towards Tablets

http://www.bisg.org/news-5-827-press...bisg-study.php

Quote:
Results from the first installment in Volume Four of the survey show 44 percent of e-book readers prefer a tablet, up from 37 percent in the August 2012 survey. During the same period, respondents' choice of a dedicated e-reader fell from 49 percent to 42 percent. The study suggests the trend will continue as respondents' intent to purchase a dedicated e-reader has dropped, while intent to purchase has remained consistent for tablets, at about 37 percent.
So now a plurality of respondents are interested in tablets? It will be interesting to see how this trend develops. Personally, although I prefer an e-ink reader for long books, tablets are less of a walled garden and a market in which they're the dominant way of e-reading might be better for consumers.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Surely these results are unsurprising?

We can't dig into the data without buying the survey book, but it seems to be based on a sample of thousands of ebook readers.

Given the explosion in the tablet market and the increase in the size of smartphones, the ereading public is now drawn from a wider range of devices, bringing in many people who will never have owned an eInk device. Their tablet or phone is also unlikely to have been purchased specifically for the purpose of reading books.

The key piece of information we need is whether the number of people in each period who have previously used eInk but who now decide to switch exclusively to reading on a tablet outweighs first time purchasers of eInk devices.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Maybe they should do a study to see if there is a move among solitaire players to tablets.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Having been traveling this past weekend with an iPad 1, I find it too heavy and the proportions too awkward for me to hold it comfortably for long periods. On the whole, for reading, I much prefer my paperwhite.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I used to carry around my Sony T1 in my backpack, now I carry my SGP5 in my coat pocket or pants pocket where ever I go. I doubt that I will buy another ereader again.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I charged my kindle this weekend. It's the non-touch version. I thought the control pad was broken because I could not navigate right. It took way to long for me to remember the controls on the sides. It was full of crap I cannot remember putting on it, so I factory refreshed it -- and loaded new crap on it.

I think my eyes are worse than they were when I used this last. No matter, it works just fine and is comfy to hold and carry. It's cheap, too, so I won't feel terrible if it breaks or is stolen at Disney.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"Given the explosion in the tablet market and the increase in the size of smartphones, the ereading public is now drawn from a wider range of devices, bringing in many people who will never have owned an eInk device. Their tablet or phone is also unlikely to have been purchased specifically for the purpose of reading books."

This ^^^
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
So many choices.
And if one gets lost, or stolen, they are easy to replace.
Almost like women.

Isn't it great?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Not surprising study however BISG however BISG has no business commenting on IT maters since they are a book publishing group. Since tablet's primary job is portable computing tablets are a part of the IT industry not the book publishing industry thus BISG has no business commenting on an IT topic, which in my opinion should be left to companies such as PC Magazine and PC World, who know the ins and outs of the IT industry. BISG should confine its comments to such topics as: What percentage of books bought in 2012 were in electronic format.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Not surprising study however BISG however BISG has no business commenting on IT maters since they are a book publishing group. Since tablet's primary job is portable computing tablets are a part of the IT industry not the book publishing industry thus BISG has no business commenting on an IT topic, which in my opinion should be left to companies such as PC Magazine and PC World, who know the ins and outs of the IT industry. BISG should confine its comments to such topics as: What percentage of books bought in 2012 were in electronic format.
They are discussing what devices people use for reading books.
What would PC Magazine know about that?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Actually, I would say that a book publishing group expanding its knowledge into the realm of electronic reading devices and tablets is a step in the right direction. These days, anyone with a publishing interest that wants to keep up needs to get up to date on the ins and outs of the IT industry. I would even expand that to include any company that produces content of any kind, because those devices will be either their venue or their competitor.

Ziff Davis and IDG don't have some kind of proprietary lock on IT knowledge. Thank goodness.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I rarely read on tablets, but I never read on my Nooks anymore. I read on my phone, which has a 4.25" screen, great resolution, light weight, and is always with me. I've gotten so used to one handed reading anything else feels clunky now. Newer phones are even better, so I doubt I'll ever go back.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Surely these results are unsurprising?

We can't dig into the data without buying the survey book, but it seems to be based on a sample of thousands of ebook readers.

Given the explosion in the tablet market and the increase in the size of smartphones, the ereading public is now drawn from a wider range of devices, bringing in many people who will never have owned an eInk device. Their tablet or phone is also unlikely to have been purchased specifically for the purpose of reading books.

The key piece of information we need is whether the number of people in each period who have previously used eInk but who now decide to switch exclusively to reading on a tablet outweighs first time purchasers of eInk devices.

Graham
hi graham,

i'm so glad you understand the statistics involved in this. the survey/study almost guaranteed a decrease in percentage of those who prefer e-ink because they added tablet users into the mix. and you are also correct in suggesting that if they wanted to do it correctly, they should only count users of both e-ink devices and tablets.

so much misuse of statistics...ugh.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I prefer reading on my Kindle Keyboard over a tablet or phone.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Tablets/ phones are good for reading in a lot of ways - especially for viewing maps and photos in the history books I like to read.

But I just can't switch away from e-ink for 2 reasons: the eyestrain/ headaches I get when reading off a backlit screen, and the fact that it is nearly impossible to read outside - on a cloudy day, let alone a sunny day.

So I'm waiting for a tablet/phone that has a LCD screen or something like it that is switchable between backlit and non-backlit/reflective. When that happens, I'll be a very happy boy. Until then, its e-ink for me as primary reader.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote