Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
B&N DRM problems and NO SOLUTION

I own a Sony PRS950. I've ordered some DRM'd books from B&N only to find that I cannot open them, either on my reader or on my Mac desktop reader app.
The problem turns out to be in B&N's servers: they have my name wrong.
To open a DRM'd book I have to type in my name incorrectly, and my credit card number. It opens.
Trying to get B&N to correct my name in their servers has been a nightmare, from which I have to waken.
The problem is their computers but they claim to not be able to fix it.
Huh?
Another prime example of why DRM should be abolished.
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
You're right, it should be abolished. Here's what you want to do to fix it:

- Google 'Apprentice Alf'. Get his plugins for Calibre and follow his directions
- Load the books onto your sony
- Make a new account on B&N. That will be MUCH easier than trying to get them to change the one you have.
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieton View Post
I own a Sony PRS950. I've ordered some DRM'd books from B&N only to find that I cannot open them, either on my reader or on my Mac desktop reader app.
To open a DRM'd book I have to type in my name incorrectly, and my credit card number. It opens.
Trying to get B&N to correct my name in their servers has been a nightmare, from which I have to waken.
Huh?
The name that is used to encrypt the books is the name you have registered in your B&N account. If you change the name in your B&N account, and than dowload your books again, the books will be encrypted with the new name.

The Sony e-readers do not support the B&N DRM, so you will not be able to read the books on your Sony e-reader (without removing the DRM).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Huh?
Do you have a BN near you? Most have a customer Service desk and should be able to help you out in person.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I've already apprenticed myself to Alf. very handy.
I understand how DRM works; I think it's a bad idea from the get go.
My problem with BN is that they cannot change the information in their own servers and can't show me how to do it either. AND the "solutions" they did offer didn't work.
BN sells ePub formatted books. Should work just fine on a Sony: and they do, once you get past the blasted DRM
Nearest BN store is over 100 miles...
Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. I still think the problem is with DRM itself, and BN's implementation of same.
I DO recommend the DRM solutions advocated by my Master, Alf...
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I've already apprenticed myself to Alf. ...
Cute.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote