Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Considering buying a T1 or T2 (or a Nook)

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of looking for a new reader and it seems to come down a choice between the Nook, the T1 (refurbished, directly from Sony) or the T2. I need it mainly for studying. I have to read quite a few pdfs & would prefer to have them on an e ink device (unfortunately my Kindle's knackered). These will mainly be text books or academic journals, not many diagrams (if any).

I was wondering what the T1 & T2 are like out of the box for reading pdfs? Would it make sense to root the device, what would the benefits be? I don't mind rooting, as long as it's pretty simple to do & stable afterwards. Also, knowing that Sony has tried to stop customized firmware being used on PS3s, what are the dangers of them trying this with readers? Finally, I was wondering if anyone knew what the advantages would be over getting a Nook?

Thanks.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The sonys have fairly good pdf handling out-of-the-box. If you're used to reading pdf on a kindle, the sonys are better.

You might consider rooting and using a 3rd party app. Be aware the Nook lighted screen is fragile.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208812
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
About pdfs, I think sony is the best out-of-box option, that's the main reason I stick to them. The text reflow works really well. Having used also android tablets/phones for quiet some time, I can't remember any app that would do a better job than Sony's default reader app.

About rooting, I've rooted my T2 about 2 months ago, still very stable and solid battery life. Just a bit troublesome to install some apps since the minimal root package does not include android play store.
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
there is probably a t3 comming out soon
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote