Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Is there a way to roll back to an older firmware?

Since upgrading my Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi and my Kindle Keyboard 3G to firmware 3.4, I've discovered that Amazon is now serving me all books in AZW3 format (new titles and also old titles), whereas it used to deliver them in Mobi format. I prefer Mobi format, since the hack that re-instates the "Justification: Left / Full" option on the font menu only works with Mobi-format books (it's grayed out if the book in question is in AZW3 format); I'm hoping by rolling back to an earlier firmware, Amazon will default to delivering books in Mobi format again. Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
No official way. The update packages are incremental and not reversible.

That said, we have full backup and restore facilities explored in the developer's corner. It's well tested, but of course on your own risk. A downgrade is possible that way. Look at ATK or k3flasher for doing this. But remember: a) your own risk, b) charge your Kindle before messing with this, c) backup your kindle before flashing something else to it, d) double check parameters. You'll find more info in the developer's corner in the debrick threads.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Note, that after rollbacking (by any way) your KK will be a target for receiving automatic update to 3.4 again. AFAIK, there is no solution to stop it at the moment (I may be wrong).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned that. I checked and noticed that on AWZ3 books I cant change the fonts on my K3. However, if you strip the drm and convert to mobi in Calibre, you can restore the fonts and such. Another reason DRM sucks! Which is a lot easier than rolling back your FW.
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Note, that after rollbacking (by any way) your KK will be a target for receiving automatic update to 3.4 again. AFAIK, there is no solution to stop it at the moment (I may be wrong).
Perhaps you can prevent an update by installing a hack that makes the update fail to install. For example, on the K4, the screensaver hack can do that.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Thanks, everyone! Can anyone confirm my suspicion that it's the updating to firmware 3.4 that causes the Kindle Keyboard to start receiving books in AZW3 format? That is, was it 3.4 that added support for AZW3 to the Kindle Keyboard? Much appreciated!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@RobertJSawyer: Yep. KF8 support was introduced in FW 3.4 on this device.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Perhaps simpler to convert AZW3 to mobi with Calibre? Search Apprentice Alf, as there is no posting on removing DRM here, but it is very simple to do. I, too, don't like the default margins, and always set mine to 10.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote