Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
De-authorizing Sony

I'm selling my Sony PRS-700 and realized that I had two devices, which I gave away, still on my account, as well as half dozen other devices. I wish Sony made it easier to deauthorize devices that you no longer own. I called customer service expecting to be on the phone for half an hour, and was pleasantly surprised that my entire phone call, from ringing, holding to finish was just 00:04:02. It wasn't as painful as I anticipated and I'm glad I check that off my list.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing. I have one that I need to deauthorize by phone. Can you share the customer service number that you called please? Thanks!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
You just need to do a hard reset & it deauthorizes it. No need to waste time on the phone.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You just need to do a hard reset & it deauthorizes it. No need to waste time on the phone.
I am not sure that would work for the purposes of limiting the number of authorized devices. While the device itself would not be authorized, it would still be listed as authorized - and limit the number of devices you could authorize in the future.

I actually had to call because of two laptops on which I had authorized software. Got rid of those a long time ago, but without de-authorizing first. Also, on my new desktop, when i installed an update to Reader for PC, it created a new entry on the list of authorized devices. So I couldn't de-authorized the old one...

Finally, I have Reader Library on a laptop and it is authorized, but when I log into my account (from that software, from the pc) it won't give me the option to de-authorize, like it usually does. At some point I will have to call about that one...

Frankly, I wish SONY made it easier as well. I don't see why giving us the freedom to centrally manage authorizations would hurt - like a webpage from which you could select authorized devices/software.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In this case, you can't do a reset if you don't have it anymore or it's broken. I also have a PC authorization that I want deleted from my Sony account list.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am not sure that would work for the purposes of limiting the number of authorized devices. While the device itself would not be authorized, it would still be listed as authorized - and limit the number of devices you could authorize in the future. .
I deauthorized a few of mine in the past, and then realized I needed to remove three of them from my account at Sony. I'd forgotten to do that since I hardly ever go there. The three machines were still there in spite of being deauthorized and factory reset.

So I renamed them "Delete 01", "Delete 02", "Delete 03". I then emailed Sony and told them I needed to remove three of my devices as I no longer owned them. They went in, removed the three I'd renamed, and emailed me back it was done.

I didn't even have to call.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Ah! That makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for sharing. I have one that I need to deauthorize by phone. Can you share the customer service number that you called please? Thanks!
I dialed 877.263.2863. He did ask if I was in the US or Canada, so it must be the same for both countries. Oh, and they have great hours. M-F 8am - midnight, S-S 8-8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have Reader Library on a laptop and it is authorized, but when I log into my account (from that software, from the pc) it won't give me the option to de-authorize, like it usually does. At some point I will have to call about that one...
I had that issue as well. So, I had him delete that one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
So I renamed them "Delete 01", "Delete 02", "Delete 03". I then emailed Sony and told them I needed to remove three of my devices as I no longer owned them. They went in, removed the three I'd renamed, and emailed me back it was done.

I didn't even have to call.
What a smart idea?! I didn't think of that. Since authorizing is so easy and I had 9 items on my account; I asked him to delete them all and I would re-authorize the devices that I still use.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
With the t1 you can use the pc reader software to do this... one of the few things it is useful for lol....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
With the t1 you can use the pc reader software to do this... one of the few things it is useful for lol....
Yes, it works beautifully, if you have the device in hand. If the device is in the middle of the Atlantic, then you'll have to call or email Sony to de-authorize it.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
So I renamed them "Delete 01", "Delete 02", "Delete 03".
Brilliant idea! Thank you! That made it easy to explain what I wanted to delete. I called the help number that SolRaven posted. They do have great hours! I didn't have to wait on hold for long. It took less than 5 minutes of my time, and now my account is all cleaned up.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Brilliant idea! Thank you! That made it easy to explain what I wanted to delete. I called the help number that SolRaven posted. They do have great hours! I didn't have to wait on hold for long. It took less than 5 minutes of my time, and now my account is all cleaned up.
I'm glad to hear that it was just as easy for you too. Hopefully, Sony's customer service will stay that good. I did have to have a reader replaced, the PRS600 and that was rather painless as well.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
A rather ranty letter regarding authorisation I just sent Sony:
Quote:
The Reader for Mac software keeps on calling for me to authorize my Reader (when I have already done so using the Reader device itself), whenever I try adding ebooks to my Reader using the Reader for Mac software: whether it is purchased or free content doesn't matter.
I click the 'Info' button and find the Reader for Mac software uses the Adobe ID april.hare@somewhere.com and the Reader apparently uses the Adobe ID APRIL.HARE@SOMEWHERE.COM (note the capitalization) and this is highlighted in red, seemingly implying it does not match. I have tried deauthorising and reauthorising the Reader with both the Reader for Mac software on the Reader itself unsuccessfully to overcome this issue: the Reader for Mac software did not respond when I attempt authorisation of the device; I cannot reauthorise the Reader for Mac software at all, as it claims it cannot authorise the device and to contact you.
Since reauthorising the device, it claims borrowed ebooks are protected by DRM. (Yes, they are.) I am authorised to read them, yet I can't read them now.
Putting this another way: trying to fix your buggy desktop software has left me with ebooks I now can't read!
Luckily, the ebooks in this case were borrowed; redownloading was an option. It's a waste of data. What if it had been purchased and I couldn't access it again?
I am running Mac OS 10.8.1 and Reader for Mac version 2.0.00.07121.
I am using a Sony Reader PRS-T1 version 1.0.03.09110 (device APRILHARESSERIALNO).
I have since managed to reauthorise the Reader for Mac software (using capitals) and now can move files to my Reader. What a real annoyance though!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
SolRaven
Wizard

Hey AH! Long time no type to!

Sony really needs to come into 2012. There is no reason for a simple electronic device or software to be so complicated.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Hey AH! Long time no type to!
Yes, I've been rather busy chook of late. Nice to read you again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Sony really needs to come into 2012. There is no reason for a simple electronic device or software to be so complicated.
It's more the software that's buggy.. (although I've whinged about a lack of WPA2 Enterprise support in the firmware elsewhere here - it seems others have a whinge to bear too).
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote